Help with partition function calculation

In summary, the partition function is a mathematical concept used in statistical mechanics to calculate the thermodynamic properties of a system. It is calculated by summing or integrating over all possible energy states or positions and momenta of particles in the system. Assumptions such as thermal equilibrium, non-interacting particles, and fixed volume are made when calculating the partition function. It can be used for both classical and quantum systems and has various applications in physics, chemistry, and biology.
hammer123
Hi, would very much appreciate it if I could get some help for something I was trying to calculate. I'm not very good at latex so I've just attached images of my attempt. I would very much appreciate it if you could look over the images I've taken and provide some feedback, thank you.

I've been trying to calculate the partition function for spin-1/2 particles in a magnetic field, however instead of summing over the eigenstates of the spin operator in the direction of the field, I've summed over all possible normalized states.

Which leads me to my first question, is this allowed? And if not, why not?

My second question becomes apparent if you take a quick look at the images I've attached (end of part 2). Essentially I found that the average spin derived from the partition function did converge to +1/2 and -1/2 as the temperature went to zero, however I got a non-zero value as the temperature went to infinity.

I'm sure this indicates that something went wrong with my calculations, but I'm not sure if it's because I made a mistake or that the entire idea was invalid.

Attachments

• Part 1.jpeg
    Part 1.jpeg
    27.8 KB · Views: 539
  • Part 2.jpeg
    Part 2.jpeg
    27.6 KB · Views: 514
Physics news on Phys.org
hammer123 said:
I'm not very good at latex so I've just attached images of my attempt.

Unfortunately, that is against the forum rules. You need to put your equations directly into your post, so that they can be quoted by people who want to respond to you. Help with LaTeX can be found here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

I have closed this thread in view of the above. Please re-post your question in a new thread using LaTeX.

What is the partition function and why is it important in scientific calculations?

The partition function is a mathematical concept used in statistical mechanics to describe the distribution of particles in a system. It is important in scientific calculations because it allows us to calculate the thermodynamic properties of a system, such as energy and entropy.

How do you calculate the partition function?

The partition function is calculated by summing over all possible energy states of a system, multiplied by their respective Boltzmann factors. In some cases, it can also be calculated by integrating over all possible positions and momenta of particles in a system.

What are the assumptions made when calculating the partition function?

The assumptions made when calculating the partition function include: the system is in thermal equilibrium, the particles are non-interacting, and the system is in a fixed volume. These assumptions may not hold true in all systems, but they are necessary for the simplified calculations of the partition function.

Can the partition function be used for both classical and quantum systems?

Yes, the partition function can be used for both classical and quantum systems. However, the equations and methods for calculating the partition function may differ between the two types of systems.

What are some common applications of the partition function in science?

The partition function is used in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and biology. Some common applications include predicting the thermodynamic behavior of gases, studying phase transitions, and calculating the equilibrium properties of chemical reactions.