Help with products of reactions

• Thread starter pariswhitney
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reactions
In summary: Will fix. In summary, the chemical calculator says that when manganese sulfate is added to a solution of aqueous sodium periodate and in a bit of acid, a pink color is observed. The reaction equation is MnSO4 + 2 NaIO4 --> Mn(IO4)2 (is that pink) + Na2SO4. Lastly, when NaH2PO2, Na2HPO3, and Na2HPO4 are added to an ammonium molybdate solution, heated, and then have 4M sulfuric acid added, the observed products were blue liquid, white precipitate, and yellow precipitate respectively.
pariswhitney
Hello; thank you in advance for anyone who would like to help:
I am looking for the products of these reactions:

ZnSO4 + NaClO -->
I thought it was just a double displacement, which would make my reaction equation:
Zn(ClO)2 + Na2SO4
but a test with silver nitrate was positive for Cl- ions, so that has to be somewhere in the products. Is it possible that the ClO oxidizes the sulfate or something; i know that sulfite becomes oxidized to sulfate, but I am kind of stuck.

also:

what happens when manganese (II) sulfate is added to a solution of aqueous sodium periodate (meta) in a bit of acid (phosphoric). A pink colour was observed, but what is the reaction equation?
I was thinking:
MnSO4 + 2 NaIO4 --> Mn(IO4)2 (is that pink) + Na2SO4

Lastly, what happens to NaH2PO2, Na2HPO3, and Na2HPO4, when they are added to an ammonium molybdate solution, heated, and then have 4M sulfuric acid added. (ie what are the reacton equations). The observed products were blue liquid, white precipitate, and yellow precipitate respectively. I keep finding conflicting info as to the formula for molybdate; so I am kind of stumped.

Thanks everyone

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
1st - I can't see any obvious reaction, however, I will check whether there were no Cl- ions in substrates. Hypochlorates hydrolyse slowly producing Cl- and O2.

2nd - IMHO pink stands for MnO4-.

Chemical calculators for labs and education
BATE - pH calculations, titration curves, hydrolisis

Thank you; for the first one, I also found that ClO- disproportionates in solution giving ClO3- and Cl-

I have also worked out what I think is the periodate/manganese sulfate reaction:

2MnSO4 + NaIO4 + 3 H20 --> 2 HMnO4 + NaIO3 + 2 H2SO4; does this look alright?

pariswhitney said:
Thank you; for the first one, I also found that ClO- disproportionates in solution giving ClO3- and Cl-

Never heard about it. O2 (or more precisely atomic O) is the reactive substance in the bleach.

2MnSO4 + NaIO4 + 3 H20 --> 2 HMnO4 + NaIO3 + 2 H2SO4; does this look alright?

Oxygen is not balanced properly.

Chemical calculators for labs and education
BATE - pH calculations, titration curves, hydrolisis

I also found that ClO- disproportionates in solution giving ClO3- and Cl-

I found this in a book called Vogel's Textbook of Macro and Semimicro Qualitative Inorganic Analysis.

Oxygen is not balanced properly.
Oops. I have 5's in front of the NaIO4 and the NaIO3

What are products of reactions?

Products of reactions refer to the substances that are formed as a result of a chemical reaction. They are the end result of the reacting substances, known as reactants, after they undergo a chemical change.

How do I determine the products of a reaction?

The products of a reaction can be determined by balancing the chemical equation and looking at the reactants and their respective products. The coefficients in the balanced equation represent the mole ratios between the reactants and products, allowing you to determine the products present in the reaction.

What factors can affect the products of a reaction?

The products of a reaction can be affected by several factors, including reactant concentration, temperature, pressure, and the presence of catalysts. These factors can alter the rate of the reaction and ultimately influence the products formed.

Why is it important to understand the products of reactions?

Understanding the products of reactions is essential for predicting the outcome of a chemical reaction and for creating new substances. It also allows scientists to study the properties and behavior of different substances and their reactions.

How can I control the products of a reaction?

The products of a reaction can be controlled by adjusting the experimental conditions, such as reactant concentrations, temperature, and pressure. In some cases, the use of catalysts can also help control the products of a reaction by increasing the rate of the reaction and favoring the formation of certain products.