Help with proportionality and literal equations

In summary: The language of proportionality is about like "direct variation" and "joint variation". A simple example is like a line represented as y=x. Let x be each of several different values. Find y. Same value as x. Plot the line of points (x, y). What is the proportionality constant? y=kx ?This is k=1. You could say, y=1*x. That is a simple, very simple example. k=y/xk=1*xIn summary, In question A, if F1 = -kxspecific-nonzero-x and F2
jxj

Homework Statement

Its a series of problems essentially basically asking questions about solving proportionality
. For example
"Hooke's Law of a spring can be described by the equation F = -kx, where F is the force exerted by a spring, K us the spring constant, and X is the amount of distance a spring has been stretched.

A. Determine how much the force exerted by spring changes if K is tripled. B. Determine force exerted if X is decreased by a factor of 5. C. Determine the force exerted by a spring if the spring constant is decreased by a factor of three and X is quadrupled. D. Use the method of literal equations to isolate the spring constant and determine the dimensions in units of the spring constant.

Homework Equations

F= -kx

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to take the approach of it increasing as the k or x increased, but I'm honestly lost lol. Please help :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you take these one-at-a-time. Start with question A. If F1 = -kxspecific-nonzero-x and F2 = -3kxspecific-nonzero-x what is the ratio F2/F1?

Likes jxj
I'm not sure why you need the negative sign.

Just as generally, if some y is proportional to x, DIRECTLY or JOINTLY proportional, then for some constant k, you can say
y=kx.

Remember, k is a constant, and therefore, k=y/x.
If you know or expect the relationship is correct, then if you know one pair of x and y, then you can calculate or compute k. Once you know k value, you can find either x for any y value; or find y for any x value.

Likes jxj
lewando said:
Why don't you take these one-at-a-time. Start with question A. If F1 = -kxspecific-nonzero-x and F2 = -3kxspecific-nonzero-x what is the ratio F2/F1?
wouldn’t that mean the force you have exerted, F, is also tripled?

symbolipoint said:
I'm not sure why you need the negative sign.

Just as generally, if some y is proportional to x, DIRECTLY or JOINTLY proportional, then for some constant k, you can say
y=kx.

Remember, k is a constant, and therefore, k=y/x.
If you know or expect the relationship is correct, then if you know one pair of x and y, then you can calculate or compute k. Once you know k value, you can find either x for any y value; or find y for any x value.
thanks, but I am still a little confused on the proportionality between the two. I also put s negative because that's how hookes law is set haha

lewando said:
you would essentially have -3kx/-kx, right?

jxj said:
thanks, but I am still a little confused on the proportionality between the two. I also put s negative because that's how hookes law is set haha
The language of proportionality is about like "direct variation" and "joint variation". A simple example is like a line represented as y=x. Let x be each of several different values. Find y. Same value as x. Plot the line of points (x, y). What is the proportionality constant? y=kx ?
This is k=1. You could say, y=1*x. That is a simple, very simple example.

Another simple example:\
You may have these points: (1, 3), (2,6), (3, 9), and (4, 12).
You may choose to plot the points and draw the line.
Notice, the line intersects with (0,0).
Notice the slope for y/x is 3.
How you may represent this as an equation can be y=3x.

What can you say in written English language for this?
y is directly proportional to x. x is 5 when y is 15.

If you were given that, you could take as y=kx, and find the value for k.

y/x=k

k=y/x

k=15/5

k=3.

Likes jxj
symbolipoint said:
not sure why you need the negative sign.
Because it is a good idea to take the same directions positive for all forces, accelerations, velocities and displacements in a given line. For a spring, the displacement and force are in opposite directions.

Likes jxj
jxj said:
wouldn’t that mean the force you have exerted, F, is also tripled?
you would essentially have -3kx/-kx, right?
Yes and yes. So if you are clear with that, go ahead with the others.

Likes jxj
symbolipoint said:
The language of proportionality is about like "direct variation" and "joint variation". A simple example is like a line represented as y=x. Let x be each of several different values. Find y. Same value as x. Plot the line of points (x, y). What is the proportionality constant? y=kx ?
This is k=1. You could say, y=1*x. That is a simple, very simple example.

Another simple example:\
You may have these points: (1, 3), (2,6), (3, 9), and (4, 12).
You may choose to plot the points and draw the line.
Notice, the line intersects with (0,0).
Notice the slope for y/x is 3.
How you may represent this as an equation can be y=3x.

What can you say in written English language for this?
y is directly proportional to x. x is 5 when y is 15.

If you were given that, you could take as y=kx, and find the value for k.

y/x=k

k=y/x

k=15/5

k=3.

thanks. seeing it shown as (x,y) made it somewhat easier to understand

jxj said:
thanks. seeing it shown as (x,y) made it somewhat easier to understand

Looking at B-C Seeing as how it uses X now, would it still be directly proportional to F or now jointly? I would have said X being decreased by a factor of five would result in F being decreased being by 5, though i’m unsure if that’s correct.

also thanks for the explanation

jxj said:
Looking at B ... I would have said X being decreased by a factor of five would result in F being decreased being by 5, though i’m unsure if that’s correct.
Have you tried the method of post #2? If so, what is the source of your uncertainty?

Likes jxj
lewando said:
Have you tried the method of post #2? If so, what is the source of your uncertainty?
Yes, I tried the process as I used for A. and now I am wondering won't F decrease by a factor of 5, if x is decreased by a factor of 5?

You are correct in your wonderment. But you should be pretty confident in your result. Whatever it is that is causing you to have any doubt is what I wanted to explore.

Likes jxj
lewando said:
You are correct in your wonderment. But you should be pretty confident in your result. Whatever it is that is causing you to have any doubt is what I wanted to explore.

thanks! I think that for C, if K is decreased by a factor of three and X is quadrupled, F would also decrease and quadruple? or does two changes change the proportionality?

and for D. How do suppose I use the method of Literal Equations to isolate the spring constant and determine the units?

thanks for all your help!

jxj said:
I think that for C, if K is decreased by a factor of three and X is quadrupled, F would also decrease and quadruple?
Yes. Sounds contradictory but it is not. For fun (and educational purposes) this time, show your thoughts, step-by-step, à la post #2 method.

for D. How do suppose I use the method of Literal Equations to isolate the spring constant and determine the units?
I suppose the first step can start with you stating your understanding of what is meant by:
1) "method of Literal Equations to isolate the spring constant"
and
2) "and determine the units [of the spring constant]"

Likes jxj
lewando said:
Yes. Sounds contradictory but it is not. For fun (and educational purposes) this time, show your thoughts, step-by-step, à la post #2 method.I suppose the first step can start with you stating your understanding of what is meant by:
and
lewando said:
Yes. Sounds contradictory but it is not. For fun (and educational purposes) this time, show your thoughts, step-by-step, à la post #2 method.I suppose the first step can start with you stating your understanding of what is meant by:
and
Lol I got it finally. it took some time to figure out directly and inversely proportionality.

Likes symbolipoint
jxj said:
Lol I got it finally. it took some time to figure out directly and inversely proportionality.
Like said, the typical academic language is usually very easy to use. This is another way of handling constant or uniform rates examples or exercises.

What is proportionality?

Proportionality refers to the relationship between two quantities that change in a consistent way. It means that as one quantity increases or decreases, the other quantity also increases or decreases in a predictable manner.

How do you solve problems involving proportionality?

To solve problems involving proportionality, you need to set up a proportion equation using the given quantities. Then, cross-multiply and solve for the unknown variable. It is important to make sure that the units of measurement are consistent throughout the equation.

What is the difference between direct and inverse proportionality?

In direct proportionality, as one quantity increases, the other quantity also increases at a constant rate. In inverse proportionality, as one quantity increases, the other quantity decreases at a constant rate. This means that in direct proportionality, the ratio of the two quantities remains constant, while in inverse proportionality, the product of the two quantities remains constant.

What are literal equations?

Literal equations are equations that contain two or more variables. These equations can be rearranged to solve for any of the variables, using the same principles as solving for a single variable equation.

How can I use proportionality and literal equations in real life?

Proportionality and literal equations are used in many real-life scenarios, such as calculating the cost of items based on their weight, determining the amount of ingredients needed to make a recipe, or figuring out how long it will take to travel a certain distance at a given speed. These concepts are also used in various fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and biology.