Help with research in Chaos theory

In summary, the speaker is an undergraduate conducting research in Chaos theory and is seeking suggestions on how to incorporate cutting edge ideas into their current research. They have built a double pendulum and are using software to track its motion. They also mention wanting to publish a paper, but their advisor is skeptical. A suggestion is given to look at the work of Peter Richter.
xdrgnh
Hello I'm an undergraduate who is currently doing research in Chaos theroy. So far I've built a double pendulum and simulated it on my computer using mathematica. I'm going to use a tracker software to track the empirical motion of the pendulum and try to match it with the my theoretical simulation. I feel though I'm not going far enough. I want this research in Chaos theory to result in a paper published. Can anyone tell me what is going on in the cutting edge of Chaos theory research. Maybe I can incorporate some of these ideas into my current research. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
xdrgnh said:
Hello I'm an undergraduate who is currently doing research in Chaos theroy. So far I've built a double pendulum and simulated it on my computer using mathematica. I'm going to use a tracker software to track the empirical motion of the pendulum and try to match it with the my theoretical simulation. I feel though I'm not going far enough. I want this research in Chaos theory to result in a paper published. Can anyone tell me what is going on in the cutting edge of Chaos theory research. Maybe I can incorporate some of these ideas into my current research. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Do you have an advisor? You should discuss this with her/him.

I do have an advisor but he's an experimentalist while I want to go into theory. He has some ideas though he's skeptical if we can go far enough to get a published paper and I do not want to change advisors.

You can have a look at the work of Peter Richter, for instance:
http://donar.physik.uni-bremen.de/~prichter/pdfs/ForcesDoublePendulum.pdf
http://donar.physik.uni-bremen.de/~prichter/pdfs/DoublePendulum.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

First of all, congratulations on your research in Chaos theory! It is a fascinating and complex field that has many applications in various fields of science.

In terms of cutting edge research in Chaos theory, there are many ongoing studies and developments. Some recent areas of interest include the application of Chaos theory in climate science, economics, and neuroscience. There is also a growing interest in studying the dynamics of complex networks and their behavior under chaotic conditions.

Incorporating some of these ideas into your current research could certainly enhance your work and potentially lead to a published paper. One suggestion would be to explore the concept of "strange attractors" in your simulations and how they relate to the behavior of the double pendulum. Additionally, you could look into the concept of bifurcations and how they affect the stability of chaotic systems.

Another potential direction for your research could be to investigate the effects of external perturbations on the chaotic behavior of the double pendulum. This could involve introducing noise or varying the initial conditions to see how it affects the motion of the pendulum.

Overall, there is a lot of exciting research happening in Chaos theory and I am sure that with your current project and incorporating some of these ideas, you will be able to make a valuable contribution to the field. Keep up the good work!

1. What is Chaos theory?

Chaos theory is a branch of mathematics and science that studies complex and unpredictable systems. It explores the behavior of dynamic systems, such as weather patterns, stock market fluctuations, and even the human brain.

2. How is Chaos theory applied in research?

Chaos theory is applied in research to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems. It is used in various fields such as physics, biology, economics, and engineering to study and analyze chaotic systems.

3. What are the key principles of Chaos theory?

The key principles of Chaos theory include sensitivity to initial conditions, nonlinearity, and self-organization. These principles explain how small changes in initial conditions can lead to drastically different outcomes, how complex systems behave in nonlinear ways, and how order can emerge from seemingly random systems.

4. What are some real-life examples of Chaos theory in action?

Some examples of Chaos theory in action include the butterfly effect, where a small change in one part of a system can have a significant impact on another part, and the Mandelbrot set, a fractal pattern that demonstrates the complex and unpredictable nature of chaos. Other examples include chaotic weather patterns, stock market fluctuations, and the behavior of neurons in the human brain.

5. How can Chaos theory be beneficial in solving real-world problems?

Chaos theory can be beneficial in solving real-world problems by providing insights into the behavior of complex systems and helping researchers identify patterns and predict outcomes. It has applications in various industries, such as weather forecasting, stock market analysis, and predicting the spread of diseases. By understanding the principles of Chaos theory, researchers can make more accurate predictions and develop more effective solutions to real-world problems.