Help with setting up Integrals for volumes

In summary: For part c, you would need to use the disk method and integrate from 0 to 1, since the line x=-2 intersects with the curve x=2-y^2 at y=1. The integral would be: \pi \int\limits_0^1\ [(2-y^2)^2-(-2)^2] dy(d) For part d, you would use the washer method and integrate from 0 to 1, since the line y=1 intersects with the curve y=x at x=1. The integral would be:\pi \int\limits_0^1\ [(1)^2-(x)^2] dxIn summary, the volume of the
adelaide87

Homework Statement

Hi

I am trying to find the volume of a shape.I don't need help to solve, but I would like a hand setting these integrals up. I've only recently started doing volumes, so bear with me.

Using the curves:
y=x
x=2-y^2
y=0

Indicate the method used and set the integrals up (dont have to integrate) that give the volume of the solid by rotating the region around:

a) the x axis
b) the y axis
c) the line x=-2
d) the line y=1

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Use the DISK method, Integrate from 0 > 2

(pi)(y^2) dx

= (pi)(x-sqrt(2-x))^2 dx

b) Use SHELL method from 0 > 2

2(pi)(x)(y)

= 2(pi)(x)(x-sqrt(2-x))

c) and d)

Not totally sure, would I just have to incorporate that line into the formula? That is confusing me.

If someone could let me know if a and b are right, and give some guidance in c and d that would be great.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the equation for the usual revolution is about x or y = 0 you can just do

[tex] \pi \int^b_a (x+2)^2 dy [/tex]

[tex] \pi \int^b_a (y-1)^2 dx [/tex]

are a and b correct though?

Well first consider the area bounded by the 3 expressions:

[PLAIN]http://j.imagehost.org/t/0558/math.jpg

[tex]y=x, x=2-y^2, y=0[/tex]

(a) For part a, although you'd normally be able to do a simple disk method, notice that the height of the area bounded by the curves (the radius of rotation) isn't always [tex] x=2-y^2[/tex], it is also [tex]y=x[/tex] at times. For this reason, your solution to part a is not entirely correct. If you choose to still do simple revolution disk method, you have to split up the integral into two parts, finding where [tex] y=x [/tex] and [tex] x=2-y^2 [/tex] intersect. An alternative method is to use cylindrical shells. and write your integral in terms of y.

1. Find points of intersection (in order to write your limits).
[tex] x=2-y^2, x=y[/tex] (set equal) [tex] y=2-y^2[/tex] implies [tex] y^2+y-2=0[/tex] from this simple quadratic we can see that the point of intersection will be (1,1).
As we are using cylindrical shells and rotating about the x-axis, our new limits are :
upper=1
lower=0
2. our integral is now quite easy to set up:
[tex] 2\pi \int\limits_a^b\ y [f(y)-g(y)] dy [/tex]
[tex]2\pi \int\limits_0^1\ y [(2-y^2)-(y)] dy [/tex]

(b) For part b you made the same error as in part a, using cylindrical shells in this case means splitting up the integral, which you hadn't accounted for. Use the washer method.

Last edited by a moderator:
Using the washer method, the area bounded by [tex] y=x, x=2-y^2, y=0[/tex] rotated about the y-axis generated a volume which can be represented by the following integral:
[tex] \pi \int\limits_0^1\ [(2-y^2)^2-(y)^2] dy [/tex]

Related to Help with setting up Integrals for volumes

1. What is the purpose of setting up integrals for volumes?

Setting up integrals for volumes is used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional shape. It is a mathematical process that involves dividing the shape into infinitely small pieces and adding them together to find the total volume.

2. How do I determine the limits of integration for volume calculations?

The limits of integration for volume calculations are determined by the boundaries of the shape in each dimension. This means that the limits will vary depending on the type of shape and its orientation. It is important to carefully consider the dimensions of the shape and how they will affect the limits of integration.

3. What is the difference between using single integrals and double integrals for volume calculations?

Single integrals are used to calculate the volume of a shape that has a constant cross-sectional area. This means that the shape is stacked in one direction. Double integrals, on the other hand, are used for shapes that have varying cross-sectional areas, such as curved or irregular shapes.

4. How do I know which variable to integrate with respect to in a double integral for volume?

When setting up a double integral for volume calculations, the inner integral should always be taken with respect to the variable that is changing along the direction of integration. The outer integral should then be taken with respect to the remaining variable.

5. Can I use integrals to calculate the volume of any shape?

Integrals can be used to calculate the volume of most shapes, but there are some exceptions. For example, shapes with infinite volume or shapes with holes cannot be accurately calculated using integrals. It is important to carefully consider the shape and its characteristics before attempting to use integrals for volume calculations.