Help with simplifying boolean expression

In summary, the given expression can be simplified by using deMorgan's law and the distributive property. The final simplified form is (A+B)&[(C+D)+(C'&D')] + C.
Extreme112
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical math forums, so no HH Template is shown >

(A+B)&(C+D) + (A+B)&(C+D)' + C
(A+B)&(C+D) + (A+B)&(C'&D') + C by deMorgans
(A+B)&[(C+D)+(C'&D')] + C by Distributive

I'm just wondering if I did anything wrong in this simplification or if it can be simplified any further.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Extreme112 said:
(A+B)&(C+D) + (A+B)&(C+D)' + C
(A+B)&(C+D) + (A+B)&(C'&D') + C by deMorgans
(A+B)&[(C+D)+(C'&D')] + C by Distributive

I'm just wondering if I did anything wrong in this simplification or if it can be simplified any further.
Well, use the distributive law on the first part of first line - (A+B)&(C+D) + (A+B)&(C+D)' = (A+B)&((C+D) + (C+D)') = (A+B) (since P + P' = TRUE).

Svein said:
Well, use the distributive law on the first part of first line - (A+B)&(C+D) + (A+B)&(C+D)' = (A+B)&((C+D) + (C+D)') = (A+B) (since P + P' = TRUE).

Thanks, I didn't even see that.

What is a boolean expression?

A boolean expression is a mathematical statement that evaluates to either true or false. It typically involves variables, logical operators (such as AND, OR, and NOT), and parentheses.

Why is simplifying boolean expressions important?

Simplifying boolean expressions can make them easier to understand and work with. It can also help to reduce errors and improve efficiency in computer programs that use boolean logic.

What are some strategies for simplifying boolean expressions?

Some strategies for simplifying boolean expressions include using the distributive law, combining like terms, and using De Morgan's laws. It can also be helpful to draw truth tables or use algebraic techniques.

Can boolean expressions be simplified in different ways?

Yes, there are often multiple ways to simplify a boolean expression. It is important to choose a method that makes the expression easier to understand and work with.

Are there any tools available to help with simplifying boolean expressions?

Yes, there are various online tools and software programs that can assist with simplifying boolean expressions. These tools can also generate truth tables and provide step-by-step solutions for simplification.