Help with special relativity mathematics

In summary, Stephen Hawking’s book “The Great Illusion” is about how the Lorentz transformation is an illusion. He uses equations to show how the transformation works and how it is an illusion. He states that the second equation to the third is simply applying the total derivative d/dx' to both sides, applying the chain rule and cancelling some terms. However, he cannot figure out how to get from the second equation to the third and would appreciate help.
Santilopez10
I am having a hard time trying to understand this transformation from lorentz:https://imgur.com/a/WYWMO

(You should ignore the spanish part and just focus on the math). I can’t understand well why they turn into what you can see in the second picture, when taking really small values of x.
Also, I tried to aproximate to the fourth equation, but I get minus partial derivative of tau respect of x prime, instead of plus.
I would appreciate your help, thanks. I hope this is understandable, it is my first post, and I have no knoweldge of latex.

Physics news on Phys.org
Santilopez10 said:
I am having a hard time trying to understand this transformation from lorentz

What you're showing isn't a Lorentz transformation; at best, it's a small piece of one particular attempt to teach the Lorentz transformation. Without more context, I don't think anyone is going to be able to help. What book is this from? What chapter?

PeterDonis said:
What you're showing isn't a Lorentz transformation; at best, it's a small piece of one particular attempt to teach the Lorentz transformation. Without more context, I don't think anyone is going to be able to help. What book is this from? What chapter?
“Great illusion”, greatest works of alber einstein” Stephen hawking edition, chapter 3

If you want I can write the things stated before the equations, it is all things about references systems, with more than 1 system.

Also, I would really appreciate how to get from the second equation to the third, thanks.

The text is a translation of Einstein's original paper "On the electrodynamics of moving bodies", part I section 3.

The third equation to the fourth seems to me to follow correctly. Post your working if you can't get it (you can use LaTeX for maths - there is a guide linked below the reply box).

The second equation to the third is simply applying the total derivative d/dx' to both sides, applying the chain rule and cancelling some terms, I believe.

Incidentally, the Spanish title of Hawking's book is indeed "The great illusion" ("La gran ilusion" - amazon.es link) which seems like a terrible translation of an allusion to Einstein's "distinction between past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion" quotation. I realize that book titles are often changed by publishers who know nothing about the subject, but I'd worry slightly about the quality of this translation from its title.

Last edited:
Ibix said:
The text is a translation of Einstein's original paper "On the electrodynamics of moving bodies", part I section 3.

The third equation to the fourth seems to me to follow correctly. Post your working if you can't get it (you can use LaTeX for maths - there is a guide linked below the reply box).

The second equation to the third is simply applying the total derivative d/dx' to both sides, applying the chain rule and cancelling some terms, I believe.
Could you show me by latex how to get from the second to the third please?

Ibix said:

\begin{equation}
\frac {1}{2} \left( \frac 1{c-v} + \frac 1{c+v} \right) \frac {\partial \tau} {\partial t} = \frac {\partial \tau} {\partial x´} + \frac 1 {c-v} \frac {\partial \tau} {\partial t}

\end{equation}
then by summing and assuming partial tau over partial t is 0 I get:
\begin{equation}

\frac {v} {c^2 - v^2} \frac {\partial \tau}{\partial t} = \frac {\partial \tau}{\partial x´}

\end{equation}

which obviously comes into:

\begin{equation}
\frac {v} {c^2 - v^2} \frac {\partial \tau}{\partial t} - \frac {\partial \tau}{\partial x´} = 0
\end{equation}

And thus, I cannot realize how to get it as a plus instead of a minus. (the ##\frac {\partial \tau}{\partial x´}## term)

Santilopez10 said:
assuming partial tau over partial t is 0
Try again without assuming that.

DrGreg said:
Try again without assuming that.
Would you mind showing me? I thought a partial derivative of a constant was just 0.

Santilopez10 said:
Would you mind showing me? I thought a partial derivative of a constant was just 0.
In equation (1) ##\partial \tau / \partial t## appears on both sides. Why would you set it zero on one side but not on the other, which is what you seem to have done?

DrGreg said:
In equation (1) ##\partial \tau / \partial t## appears on both sides. Why would you set it zero on one side but not on the other, which is what you seem to have done?
I don’t really know, please teach me! Jajaja

Santilopez10 said:
I thought a partial derivative of a constant was just 0.

Why do you think ##\partial \tau / \partial t## is a partial derivative of a constant?

Santilopez10 said:
I don’t really know, please teach me!

You need to do the work yourself. We can give you some help, but we're not going to just hand you the solution. If you want to learn, you need to do your part.

Santilopez10 said:
I don’t really know, please teach me! Jajaja
My advice: don't try to be clever. This is just algebra.

Edit: and re-read Dr Greg's post #10.

Last edited:
Likes DrGreg

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that describes the relationships between time, space, and motion in the absence of gravity.

2. How does special relativity differ from classical mechanics?

Special relativity takes into account the principles of relativity and the speed of light, while classical mechanics is based on Newton's laws of motion.

3. What is the equation for time dilation in special relativity?

The equation for time dilation is t' = t / √(1 - v^2/c^2), where t' is the time measured by an observer in motion, t is the time measured by a stationary observer, v is the velocity of the moving object, and c is the speed of light.

4. How does length contraction work in special relativity?

Length contraction refers to the phenomenon where an object in motion appears shorter in the direction of motion when measured by a stationary observer. The equation for length contraction is L' = L√(1 - v^2/c^2), where L' is the contracted length and L is the original length of the object.

5. What is the difference between general relativity and special relativity?

General relativity is a theory that explains the relationships between time, space, and gravity, while special relativity does not take gravity into account. General relativity is a more comprehensive theory that encompasses special relativity.