Help with Telescoping Series Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem attached in a post, including the attempted solution and the correct answer of -pi/6. The conversation also mentions using a telescoping series to solve the problem and the need to take the limit of the partial sum.
student93

Homework Statement

Problem is attached in this post.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt at solution is attached.

Apparently the answer is -pi/6, however I've solved for it several times and keep getting my answer as pi/3 via Telescoping Series

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-04-09 at 10.09.27 PM.png
    Screen shot 2014-04-09 at 10.09.27 PM.png
    28.4 KB · Views: 500
  • Screen shot 2014-04-09 at 9.57.09 PM.png
    Screen shot 2014-04-09 at 9.57.09 PM.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 500
Physics news on Phys.org
student93 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt at solution is attached.

Apparently the answer is -pi/6, however I've solved for it several times and keep getting my answer as pi/3 via Telescoping Series

The arccos terms in your telescoping series are not approaching 0. You can't ignore everything after the ... You need to take a limit of the partial sum.

Dick said:
The arccos terms in your telescoping series are not approaching 0. You can't ignore everything after the ... You need to take a limit of the partial sum.

How would I go about solving for the partial sum?

student93 said:
How would I go about solving for the partial sum?

Telescope the sum up to an upper limit of N instead of infinity. Then take the limit of the result as N->infinity.

Related to Help with Telescoping Series Problem

What is a telescoping series?

A telescoping series is a type of infinite series where most of the terms cancel out, leaving only a finite number of terms that contribute to the sum.

How do I know if a series is telescoping?

To determine if a series is telescoping, you can look for a pattern in the terms that allow for cancellation. Typically, this involves grouping the terms in a certain way or using partial fraction decomposition.

How do I find the sum of a telescoping series?

To find the sum of a telescoping series, you can use the telescoping property to simplify the series. Then, you can use the formula for the sum of a geometric series or the limit comparison test to find the sum.

What are some common strategies for solving telescoping series problems?

Some common strategies for solving telescoping series include using partial fraction decomposition, grouping terms, and using properties like the telescoping property or the ratio test. It is also important to look for patterns and use algebraic manipulations to simplify the series.

Are there any real-world applications for telescoping series?

Yes, telescoping series can be used in various areas of science and engineering, such as in electrical circuits, financial modeling, and physics problems involving infinite sums. They can also be used in computer algorithms and data compression.