Laurent Series (Complex Analysis)

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with understanding the concept and process behind attaining the Laurent series representation for a given formula in mathematical physics. They have attempted to solve several problems but have doubts about their answers and are looking for validation. The conversation also includes a discussion about a possible mistake in the calculations.
HansBu
Homework Statement
Laurent Series (Complex Analysis)
Relevant Equations
f(z) = An(z-z_o)^n
My homework is on mathematical physics and I want to know the concept behind Laurent series. I want to know clearly know the process behind attaining the series representation for the expansion in sigma notation using the formula that can be found on the attached files. There are three questions and I hope you will be able to help me in this subject matter. Thank you and God bless! This was retrieved from Charlie Harper's Analytic Method in Physics . Below is the formula needed, the problems, and the attempt to the solution.

On (a), I checked my answer with wolfram alpha however, my series representation (sigma notation) is wrong. Also in number 2, i got it wrong by using simple concept of geometric series. I believe item (c) is correct. Are my answers correct already?

Attachments

• 5f5c42835c52b_Untitled.jpg
    5f5c42835c52b_Untitled.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 153
  • 5f5c426a1cb89_1.jpg
    5f5c426a1cb89_1.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 143
  • 5f5c6bad9c359_NewDocument20.jpg
    5f5c6bad9c359_NewDocument20.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 134
Physics news on Phys.org
Please post your working in typed form. It is easier to read and easier to reference when making comments.
It looks like your answer to a), z0=0 is ##\Sigma_0^\infty (-n+1)z^{n-1}##. Am I reading that right? It does not seem to follow from the preceding line.

haruspex said:
Please post your working in typed form. It is easier to read and easier to reference when making comments.
It looks like your answer to a), z0=0 is ##\Sigma_0^\infty (-n+1)z^{n-1}##. Am I reading that right? It does not seem to follow from the preceding line.
It doesn't have a negative sign on it. The one about z_o = 1, I think it's wrong because I validated it using WolframAlpha.

HansBu said:
It doesn't have a negative sign on it.
Then it's an example of why the forum rules say that images are for textbook extracts and diagrams.

HansBu said:
The one about z_o = 1, I think it's wrong because I validated it using WolframAlpha.
When you introduced the (-1)n factor at the end, did you mean to switch the 1-z to z-1?

haruspex said:
When you introduced the (-1)n factor at the end, did you mean to switch the 1-z to z-1?
Yes. That is what I meant. Is the math wrong?

HansBu said:
Yes. That is what I meant. Is the math wrong?
What I mean is, you added the alternating sign factor but did not switch 1-z to z-1, so yes, the last line is wrong.

What is a Laurent series?

A Laurent series is a representation of a complex-valued function as an infinite sum of terms, each of which is a power of the variable z, with coefficients that may be complex numbers. It is a generalization of a Taylor series, which only includes positive powers of z.

What is the difference between a Laurent series and a Taylor series?

The main difference between a Laurent series and a Taylor series is that a Laurent series includes both positive and negative powers of the variable z, while a Taylor series only includes positive powers. This allows a Laurent series to represent functions with poles or essential singularities, while a Taylor series can only represent analytic functions.

How is a Laurent series calculated?

A Laurent series can be calculated using the formula: f(z) = ∑(n=-∞ to ∞) c_n(z-a)^n, where c_n is the coefficient of the nth term and a is the center of the series. The coefficients can be found by using the Cauchy integral formula or by using the Taylor series expansion of the function.

What is the significance of the center of a Laurent series?

The center of a Laurent series, denoted by a, is the point around which the series is expanded. It is important because it determines the behavior of the series - if a is a pole or essential singularity of the function, then the series will have infinitely many terms with negative powers of z. If a is an isolated singularity, then the series will have a finite number of negative powers of z.

What are the applications of Laurent series?

Laurent series have many applications in complex analysis, such as in the study of analytic functions, singularities, and residues. They are also used in physics and engineering to model physical phenomena, such as in the calculation of electric fields and fluid dynamics. Laurent series are also used in numerical analysis and computer graphics to approximate functions and curves.