Help with voltage threshold calculations

In summary, the conversation is about a calculation for a circuit and a question about whether or not it is correct. The circuit in question includes an additional voltage source (V4) which affects the threshold voltage. The conversation goes through several attempts at finding the correct formula, with the final answer being that the upper threshold voltage is +3V and the lower threshold voltage is 0V. The additional voltage source can shift the threshold voltage depending on its polarity.
BigMan52
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no HH Template is shown.
Please can someone tell me if this calculation is correct? Please see attached question.
I have used the +/-3V as the saturation voltage and multiplied it by R2/R2+R3 to give me +/-1.5V.

Attachments

• Threshold voltage question.docx
    43 KB · Views: 390
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a Homework ?
For the circuit in FIGURE 3(b) your answer is wrong.

Picture1.png

Notice that you have additional +3V voltage source (V4) in your circuit. And this voltage source will have big influence on threshold voltage.

Sorry yes, I think I may have posted it in the wrong place. First time using this site. I will have a rethink and post it back in the correct section.
Thank you very much for your help.

So now, can you show us the "right" answer? And my tip is: Find the voltage at non inverting input for two cases: one for Vout = +3V and Vout = -3V. And do not forget about V4.

Struggling to find the formula I should be using. I think this is a Schmitt Trigger and all calculations I have seen include a third feedback resistor which isn't here.

OK. But are you able to find the Vx voltage for this circuit?
1.png

Would it be:
Vx = R1/R1+R2 x Vout = 0.5 x 3 = 1.5V?

No, wrong again? Why do you keep ignoring the V4 source?

OK using basic ohms law:
I = 3/1000 = 3mA
So voltage dropped across the 1K resistor would be 9mV making Vx =2.991 V?

OK, let us start again from the beginning.
The circuit look like this:
1.png

And notice that now V4 = 0V and R1 and R2 are connected in series.
The voltage at Va is equal to Vout = 3V, the Vb voltage is 0V because V4 = 0V.
So the voltage across (R1+R2) is Va - Vb = 3V - 0V = 3V and the current is I = 3V/(R1+R2) = 3V/2kΩ = 1.5mA therefore Vx = Vout - I*R1 = 3V - 1.5V = 1.5V
But in your circuit V4 is not 0V it is 3V so the situation looks like this (for Vout = +3V)
1.png

And when Vout = -3V
1b.png

Can you solve it for Vx ?

And I highly recommend you to read this by starting at page 3
http://www.ittc.ku.edu/~jstiles/312/handouts/312_Introduction_package.pdf

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 426
Likes BigMan52
OK thank you very much.
So here goes:
Vx when Vout is -3V:
Vb =V4 = 3V
Voltage across R1+R2 = Va-Vb = -3-3 = -6V
Current I = -6/2000 = -3mA
Vx = Vout - (I x R1) = -3 - -3 = 0V

Does that mean the upper threshold voltage for this op amp is +3V and the lower threshold voltage is 0V?

BigMan52 said:
Does that mean the upper threshold voltage for this op amp is +3V and the lower threshold voltage is 0V?
Yes exactly, this additional source (V4) will "shift" the threshold voltage up or down depend on V4 sign.

Likes BigMan52
Brilliant, thank you very much for all your help!

What is voltage threshold?

Voltage threshold is the minimum amount of voltage required for a circuit or device to function properly. It is usually measured in volts (V).

Why is it important to calculate voltage threshold?

Calculating voltage threshold is important in order to ensure that a circuit or device receives enough voltage to operate correctly. It can also help prevent damage to the circuit or device by ensuring that it does not receive an excessive amount of voltage.

How is voltage threshold calculated?

Voltage threshold is typically calculated by taking into account the voltage rating of the circuit or device, the voltage drop across any resistors or other components, and the minimum voltage required for the circuit or device to operate. This calculation can be done using Ohm's Law (V=IR) or Kirchhoff's Voltage Law.

What factors can affect voltage threshold?

There are several factors that can affect voltage threshold, including the type and quality of components used in the circuit, the temperature and environment in which the circuit operates, and any external factors such as power fluctuations or interference.

Can voltage threshold be adjusted?

In some cases, voltage threshold can be adjusted by changing the components or circuit design. However, it is important to carefully consider the impact of any changes on the overall functionality and safety of the circuit. It is always recommended to consult a professional or refer to manufacturer specifications when making adjustments to voltage threshold.