Help with Young and Freedman 11.76 Problem

• Thread starter spaceplant
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Young
In summary, for solving problem 11.76 from Young and Freedman's University Physics, you will need to consider the free-body diagram for a single beam in a hanging position with gravity and tension of the thread as the forces. The forces at the hinge between the two beams must be symmetrical, horizontal, and equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. The tension of the thread gives a torque in a counterclockwise direction in reference to the beam's center of mass, and the force at the hinge must act inward to balance this torque. Neglecting the weight of the crossbar, the direction of the force from the crossbar is also horizontal and equal in magnitude to the force at the hinge. This results in the cross
spaceplant
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd think about the free-body diagram for a single beam in that position and angle hanging idly in the air just with the thread.
Then the forces would be the gravity and the tension of the thread
Next, at the hinge the two beams are in a symmetrical configuration and the forces they exert on each other must be symmetrical and at the same time equal and opposite.
Thus follows that the forces are horizontal.

And in reference to the c.m. of one of the beams, the tension of the thread gives a torque in ccw.
Since the crossbar is attached to the midpoint, the only other force that balances the torque is the force at the hinge.
And it follows that the force at the hinge for a beam must act inward.

If you are supposed to neglect the weight of the crossbar , it cannot pull the beams up or down.(think of the symmetrical configuration here again). Thus the direction of the force by the crossbars are also horizontal. And the sign and magnitude are to be determined from the combined equations from all of these.

[edit]
One more thing you can use is that the horizontal forces canel out each other and the crossbar must exert outward force on the beam, equal in magnitude to the force at the hinge. So it must be under compression.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Related to Help with Young and Freedman 11.76 Problem

What is "Help with Young and Freedman 11.76 Problem"?

"Help with Young and Freedman 11.76 Problem" refers to a specific physics problem found in the 11th edition of the textbook "University Physics" by Hugh D. Young and Roger A. Freedman. It is a problem that often requires additional assistance or clarification in order to be solved correctly.

Why is "Help with Young and Freedman 11.76 Problem" important?

"Help with Young and Freedman 11.76 Problem" is important because it can help students understand and apply important physics concepts. By seeking help with this problem, students can deepen their understanding of the subject and improve their problem-solving skills.

Where can I find "Help with Young and Freedman 11.76 Problem"?

"Help with Young and Freedman 11.76 Problem" can be found in the 11th edition of the textbook "University Physics" by Hugh D. Young and Roger A. Freedman. It may also be available in other resources such as study guides or online forums.

How can I get help with "Help with Young and Freedman 11.76 Problem"?

There are several ways to get help with "Help with Young and Freedman 11.76 Problem". You can ask your teacher or professor for assistance, seek help from a tutor or peer, or look for online resources and forums for guidance. It is also important to actively engage with the problem and try to solve it on your own before seeking help.

What should I do if I am still struggling with "Help with Young and Freedman 11.76 Problem" after seeking help?

If you are still struggling with "Help with Young and Freedman 11.76 Problem" after seeking help, it is important to continue practicing and seeking additional resources. You can also try breaking the problem down into smaller parts and tackling each part individually. It is also helpful to review any related material and ask for feedback on your approach to the problem.