Helpful Tips on Solving Complex Equations

In summary: For the right hand inequality, we need to show that $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} \leq \sqrt{2}\max\left(\left|x\right|,\left|y\right|\right) \end{align*}$.Note that $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \max\left(\left|x\right|,\left|y\right|\right) = \begin{cases} |x| & \text{if}\,\,|x| \geq |y| \\ |y| & \text{if}\,\,|y| > |x| \end{cases} \end{align*}$
fabiancillo
Hi! I have problems with this demonstration

Let $z= x+iy , x,y \in \mathbb{R} $ then $|x|, |y| \leq{|z|} \leq{\sqrt[ ]{2}} $ , $max \{ |x|, |y| \} $

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello cristianoceli and welcome to MHB! :D

We ask that our users show their progress (work thus far or thoughts on how to begin) when posting questions. This way our helpers can see where you are stuck or may be going astray and will be able to post the best help possible without potentially making a suggestion which you have already tried, which would waste your time and that of the helper.

Can you post what you have done so far?

greg1313 said:
Hello cristianoceli and welcome to MHB! :D

We ask that our users show their progress (work thus far or thoughts on how to begin) when posting questions. This way our helpers can see where you are stuck or may be going astray and will be able to post the best help possible without potentially making a suggestion which you have already tried, which would waste your time and that of the helper.

Can you post what you have done so far?

Si! my English is not very good. I'm looking for a suggestion of how to start

Sorry for not upload anything but I do not know how to start

Thanks

Should the problem actually read:

Let $z= x+iy,\,x,y\in\mathbb{R}$ then $|x|,\,|y|\leq|z|\leq\sqrt{2}\cdot\max(|x|,|y|)$ ?

MarkFL said:
Should the problem actually read:

Let $z= x+iy,\,x,y\in\mathbb{R}$ then $|x|,\,|y|\leq|z|\leq\sqrt{2}\cdot\max(|x|,|y|)$ ?

Why $\cdot$ ?

cristianoceli said:
Why $\cdot$ ?

It makes more sense to me than a comma...it implies multiplication. :)

The left hand inequality is easy if you remember the definition of a modulus for real and complex numbers:

Real numbers: $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left| x \right| = \sqrt{x^2} \end{align*}$.

Complex numbers: $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left| z \right| = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} \end{align*}$.

Related to Helpful Tips on Solving Complex Equations

1. How do I approach solving complex equations?

The best approach to solving complex equations is to break them down into smaller, simpler parts. Start by identifying any patterns or common terms in the equation. Then, use algebraic techniques such as combining like terms, distributing, and factoring to simplify the equation. Finally, solve for the unknown variable by isolating it on one side of the equation.

2. What are some helpful tips for factoring complex equations?

One helpful tip for factoring complex equations is to look for common factors and use the distributive property. You can also use the difference of squares or the sum/difference of cubes formulas to factor certain types of equations. Additionally, you can try trial and error or use the quadratic formula for more difficult equations.

3. How do I check my answer for a complex equation?

To check your answer for a complex equation, simply plug in the value you found for the unknown variable into the original equation. If both sides of the equation are equal, then your answer is correct. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph the equation and see if your solution is the point of intersection.

4. What should I do if I get stuck on a complex equation?

If you get stuck on a complex equation, take a break and come back to it later with a fresh perspective. You can also try working on a different part of the equation or ask for help from a classmate or teacher. It can also be helpful to write out all the steps you've taken so far to see if you missed anything.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving complex equations?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes to avoid when solving complex equations. These include not following the correct order of operations, forgetting to distribute a negative sign, and making calculation errors. It is important to double-check your work and be mindful of these common mistakes to ensure accurate solutions.