Helping instructor in research

• Thread starter preceptor1919
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary, the instructor is looking for someone to help him with a research project. The project might be in a different field than what the student is interested in, but it would be an interesting experience. The student should consider applying if they have the opportunity.
preceptor1919
Our instructor in program design asked our class if any of us wants to participate in his research. I am thinking of applying but I am wondering if it's worth it considering that even after this sem,my only knowledge will only about basic java. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
It would be a good experience. In the real world, you often use basic Java concepts in bigger team based projects where you have to read and understand other people's code before you implement your own.

He might even use tools like maven for build, SVN for code mgmt and eclipse or Netbeans for development and debug and so your skill level will dramatically increase.

Also it's good for your resume.

Thanks forthe input. I was already leaning towards applying but I was wondering if it was really worth it given that it will take some of time and as a freshman I still haven't learned how to manage my time properly.Follow up question: Is there a difference if a research is done in a university? Because we are in a college and I think that he will do his research on his own.

The only difference I know of is a university has more resources and can do bigger scale research. Colleges often have limited budgets and profs will do smaller projects with one or undergrad helpers.

At my college, I helped a prof with a study of LCD crystal structure. He wanted to study the helical structure of a Liguria crystal when sandwiched between two plates of glass while an electric current was applied along with a heat source. I designed a small holder for the crystal where heating wire could be wrapped and the goal was to have it evenly heated.

Wow that sounds interesting

I think my instructor's research will be about machine learning or automatic speech recognition,basing from his past works

jedishrfu said:
...helical structure of a Liguria crystal...
That would be liquid crystal... I don't know where my iPad got Liguria from? Liguria is a coastal region in Italy...

This is not my field (Aerospace here), however I would argue that it is ALWAYS a good thing to get into research during undergrad if you have the opportunity. It gives you a chance to actually apply things, learn more beyond what is in the classroom, and it is one of the best resume builders you can get during college. And you also can get paid.

Related to Helping instructor in research

1. What is the purpose of helping an instructor in research?

Helping an instructor in research allows for hands-on experience in the scientific process and helps to contribute to the advancement of knowledge in a particular field. It also allows for the development of critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

2. How can I become involved in helping an instructor in research?

You can become involved in helping an instructor in research by expressing your interest and availability to the instructor. You can also check with your university's research department or career center for opportunities.

3. What types of tasks will I be responsible for when helping an instructor in research?

The tasks you will be responsible for will depend on the specific research project and the needs of the instructor. These may include literature review, data collection and analysis, laboratory work, and assisting in writing research papers.

4. Will I receive any credit or recognition for helping an instructor in research?

This will vary depending on the specific research project and the policies of your university or institution. Some instructors may offer credit or co-authorship on publications, while others may not. It is important to discuss expectations and potential recognition with the instructor beforehand.

5. How will helping an instructor in research benefit my future career?

Helping an instructor in research can provide valuable experience and skills that are highly sought after in many scientific fields. It can also help to build a strong professional network and provide opportunities for future research collaborations or references.