How to Calculate Hemolysis Percentage from Absorption at a Given Wavelength?

• Thread starter ChrisVer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Absorbtion
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating hemolysis (%) from absorption at a specific wavelength and NaCl concentration. The formula for this calculation is mentioned but not fully understood. The speaker also expresses confusion about the relationship between NaCl concentration and light-induced hemolysis.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
How can someone calculate the hemolysis (%) from the absorption at λ wavelength given some concentration in NaCl?

The formula I saw was really weird:
Absorb(most hypotonic solution) = 100 % hemolysis
I canlt understand that formula though... thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
Whoa. This seems a bit lacking in basic information. First off, hemolysis may be a function solely of NaCl concentration, as well, for some types of cells. What you indicate seems to say that the effect of wavelength of light is changed by NaCl concentration. Uhh, where did you get this? As is, I cannot help you. If you can't tell, I'm totally confused.

I would assume that light induced hemolysis is at least in part dictated by the absorption spectrum of the hemoglobins involved, for example.

1. What is hemolysis from absorption?

Hemolysis from absorption refers to the rupture or destruction of red blood cells due to the absorption of certain substances or chemicals. This can occur in the body or in the laboratory setting.

2. What causes hemolysis from absorption?

Hemolysis from absorption can be caused by a variety of factors, including exposure to toxins or drugs, extreme temperatures, mechanical stress, or changes in pH levels.

3. How can hemolysis from absorption be prevented?

To prevent hemolysis from absorption in a laboratory setting, it is important to handle and store samples properly and avoid exposure to known hemolytic substances. In the body, avoiding exposure to toxins and maintaining a healthy diet and lifestyle can help prevent hemolysis.

4. What are the effects of hemolysis from absorption on the body?

Hemolysis from absorption can lead to a decrease in the number of red blood cells and a release of hemoglobin into the bloodstream. This can cause anemia, jaundice, and other symptoms depending on the severity of the hemolysis.

5. How is hemolysis from absorption detected and measured?

Hemolysis can be detected by visual inspection, such as observing a change in color or clarity of a sample, or by measuring the levels of hemoglobin or other markers in the blood. Various laboratory tests, such as osmotic fragility tests, can also be used to measure the degree of hemolysis.