Here is a Theoretical Question I have been pondering

• Thread starter mightyhealthy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theoretical
In summary: Adding cream to coffee at Dunkin Donuts while it is hot helps to blend the two ingredients better. This is because the rate of heat loss by the coffee is slower due to the insulated cup and greater volume of fluid. The cold milk will also rise in temperature on the way home, so adding it later would result in cooler coffee. But for those who want to drink their coffee sooner without burning their mouth, adding and mixing the cream immediately is the best option. Also, adding dry coffee creamer to lukewarm coffee can cause clumping. So in summary, it is better to mix cream into hot coffee at Dunkin Donuts to get a well-blended and warmer cup of coffee to drink.
mightyhealthy
Here it goes:

You purchase a cup of coffee at Dunkin Donuts. The coffee is about 90deg. in a styrofoam insulated cup. The main question is: Should you mix your cream, which is about 5deg cels, in the coffee at dunkin donuts or wait til you get home? The temperature outside is about 25deg. Home is about 5-10min away by car. It's not a trick question. Ok it should be that you mix the cream before, but why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the intention is to keep the coffee as hot as possible - milk later.
The cold milk will rise in temperature on the way home.
The rate of cooling of the coffee is proportional to temperature so cooler (milky) coffee would cool more slowly but at any point in the cooling curve it will be cooler if the milk is added.

Also, the rate of heat loss by the coffee is slower not only due to the insulated cup, but the greater volume of the fluid, which makes a greater ratio of mass/surface area. The temperature change in the creamer will be more rapid because it is a smaller body.

But for me, the goal is to get the coffee cooled down enough to begin drinking sooner without burning my mouth, so I add and mix immediately.

watching Rachel Ray..is it not better to add oneingredient to another in as hot a situation as possible..aids in blending?
i know if you add that dry coffee creamer to a luke warm cup of java..it clumps up..right?

Ranger Mike said:
watching Rachel Ray..is it not better to add oneingredient to another in as hot a situation as possible..aids in blending?
i know if you add that dry coffee creamer to a luke warm cup of java..it clumps up..right?

Based on my experience, that's true.

Related to Here is a Theoretical Question I have been pondering

What is a theoretical question?

A theoretical question is a question that is based on abstract ideas or concepts, rather than specific facts or observations. It often involves speculation or hypothesis, and may not have a definitive answer.

How do scientists approach theoretical questions?

Scientists approach theoretical questions by using the scientific method. This involves formulating a hypothesis, designing experiments or observations to test the hypothesis, analyzing the data, and drawing conclusions based on the evidence.

Can theoretical questions be answered?

In some cases, theoretical questions can be answered through scientific research and experimentation. However, there are also theoretical questions that may never have a definitive answer, as they deal with abstract concepts and theories that are constantly evolving.

What makes a good theoretical question?

A good theoretical question should be thought-provoking, based on existing knowledge and evidence, and open to further exploration and experimentation. It should also be relevant and have potential applications in the real world.

Why are theoretical questions important in science?

Theoretical questions are important in science because they drive the development of new theories and ideas, leading to advancements in our understanding of the natural world. They also help scientists make predictions and guide future research and experimentation.