Hessian matrix of the Newtonian potential is zero?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the hessian of the Newtonian potential using the fact that force is equal to mass times acceleration. However, there is a mistake in the last step where the order of differentiation is swapped, leading to an incorrect result of the hessian being zero. The correct expression for the differential of acceleration with respect to a spatial coordinate is also provided.
Chain
So I'm looking at the hessian of the Newtonian potential:

[itex] \partial^2\phi / \partial x_i \partial x_j [/itex]

Using the fact that (assuming the mass is constant):

[itex] F = m \cdot d^2 x / d t^2 = - \nabla \phi [/itex]

This implies:

[itex] \partial^2\phi / \partial x_i \partial x_j = -m \cdot \frac{\partial}{\partial x_j} (d^2 x_i / d t^2) = -m \cdot \frac{\partial}{\partial x_j} (\partial^2 x_i / \partial t^2)[/itex]

As we can swap the total derivatives for partial derivatives since for Cartesian coordinates:

[itex] \partial x_i / \partial x_j = \delta_{ij} [/itex]

Using the fact that we can swap the order of differentiation for mixed partials (assuming continuity of the partial derivatives) we obtain:

[itex] \partial^2\phi / \partial x_i \partial x_j = -m \cdot \partial^3 x_i / \partial x_j \partial t^2 = -m \cdot \frac{\partial}{\partial t^2} \partial x_i / \partial x_j = -m \cdot 0 = 0 [/itex]

Hence I obtain the result that the hessian of the Newtonian potential is zero which can't possibly be correct but I can't find the error in my calculation.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
What you wrote doesn't make too much sense and the mathematical manipulations are illegal. Acceleration depends on time, coordinate depends on time: a(x) = a(t(x)). Good luck reverting x(t) into t(x).

So the problem is in the last step where I swap the order of differentiation because it is not possible to find time as a function of position?

I guess the proper expression for the differential of acceleration with respect to a spatial coordinate is:

[itex] \partial a(t(x)) / \partial x = \frac{\partial a(t)}{\partial t} \cdot \frac{\partial t}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial a(t)}{\partial t} \cdot (\frac{\partial x}{\partial t})^{-1} [/itex]

Which is clearly non-zero.

1. What is the Hessian matrix of the Newtonian potential?

The Hessian matrix of the Newtonian potential is a mathematical concept used in physics and mathematics to describe the second-order derivatives of a scalar function in a multi-dimensional space. In the context of the Newtonian potential, it represents the curvature of the potential function at a specific point in space.

2. Why is the Hessian matrix of the Newtonian potential important?

The Hessian matrix of the Newtonian potential is important because it is used to determine the stability and critical points of the potential function. It can also be used to solve for the equations of motion in a system described by the potential function.

3. How is the Hessian matrix of the Newtonian potential calculated?

The Hessian matrix of the Newtonian potential is calculated by taking the second derivatives of the potential function with respect to each of the variables in the multi-dimensional space. These derivatives are then arranged in a matrix form, with the diagonal elements representing the second-order derivatives and the off-diagonal elements representing the mixed second-order derivatives.

4. What does it mean if the Hessian matrix of the Newtonian potential is zero?

If the Hessian matrix of the Newtonian potential is zero, it means that the potential function is constant at that point in space. This can indicate a critical point or an inflection point in the potential function. Additionally, a zero Hessian matrix can also indicate that the potential function is flat, which can have implications for the stability of the system.

5. How does the Hessian matrix of the Newtonian potential relate to the concept of energy?

The Hessian matrix of the Newtonian potential is related to the concept of energy because it is used to calculate the potential energy of a system. The potential energy is a measure of the energy stored in a system due to its position or configuration, and it is related to the curvature of the potential function at a given point. The Hessian matrix helps to determine the critical points and stability of the potential function, which in turn can inform the potential energy of a system.