Hidden-Variables: They may as well be deterministic

• Thread starter stevendaryl
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between local hidden variables and determinism. It is common for people to assume that hidden-variables explanations for experiments, such as the twin-pair EPR experiment, are deterministic. This is due to perfect correlations and the fact that any probabilistic theory can have a corresponding deterministic theory. However, this does not mean that nondeterministic theories are not worth considering. Ultimately, it is possible to have a deterministic local theory to explain empirical results.
stevendaryl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
This is just a little note describing something that may be common knowledge, but I was confused about, myself, which is the relationship between local hidden variables and determinism.

For a hidden-variables explanation of the twin-pair EPR experiment, people often look to deterministic models. They assume that there is some hidden variable [itex]\lambda[/itex] and the results of a spin measurement along axis [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] for one of the particles is a function [itex]F(\vec{a}, \lambda)[/itex]. At first, that doesn't seem very general, and it's not--we can certainly imagine a stochastic process where the outcome of the measurement is not uniquely determined by the hidden variables plus the state of the detector, but is partly random. Why should people assume that the outcome is deterministic?

The first reason, which is the one I've given in the past, is because of perfect correlations. In the twin pair EPR experiment, if the two detectors measure spins along the same axis, they always get the same result (in the spin-1 case) or always get the opposite result (in the spin-1/2 case). These perfect correlations are not possible if there is local nondeterminism involved.

But actually, there's a much more general reason, that's independent of the specific predictions of quantum mechanics: For any probabilistic theory, there are corresponding deterministic theories in which all probabilities are due to unknown hidden variables in the initial state. That doesn't mean that there is no point in making nondeterministic theories, because the nondeterministic theory might be much more elegant and plausible than the corresponding deterministic theory. But purely as a logical matter, if you're trying to see whether it is possible to have a hidden-variables theory that explains a certain empirical result, you don't lose any generality by just considering deterministic models. If a nondeterministic local theory is possible, then so is a deterministic local theory.

This isn't particularly profound or difficult, but many people might not know it.

Here's how it works: Suppose you have a nondeterministic theory, in which the outcome of a measurement depends in a probabilistic way on the settings of your measuring device:

[itex]P(i | j)[/itex] is the probability of getting result [itex]R_i[/itex] when the device has setting [itex]S_j[/itex].

For simplicity, let's assume that the results can take on values [itex]R_0, R_1, ...[/itex]. Let me define a cumulative probability function

[itex]P_C(i | j) = P(0 | j) + P(1 | j) + \ldots + P(i | j)[/itex]

This is the probability that the result will be in the range between [itex]R_0[/itex] and [itex]R_i[/itex]

Now, let's introduce a function [itex]F(j,\lambda)[/itex] defined as follows:

[itex]F(j,\lambda) = R_0[/itex] if [itex]0 \leq \lambda < P_C(0,j)[/itex]
[itex] = R_1[/itex] if [itex] P_C(0,j) \leq \lambda < P_C(1,j)[/itex]
[itex] = R_2[/itex] if [itex] P_C(1,j) \leq \lambda < P_C(2,j)[/itex]
etc.

This model puts all the nondeterminism into the variable [itex]\lambda[/itex], which is assumed to be a real number between 0 and 1 with a flat probability distribution.

As I said, I'm not claiming that this is a plausible model, only that it is mathematically consistent with the probability distribution [itex]P(i | j)[/itex]

So if you are only interested in the question of whether it is possible (as opposed to plausible) to explain experimental results using a local, realistic hidden-variables model, you may as well assume that it is deterministic.

Physics news on Phys.org
stevendaryl said:
So if you are only interested in the question of whether it is possible (as opposed to plausible) to explain experimental results using a local, realistic hidden-variables model, you may as well assume that it is deterministic.

Indeed we can.

To a modern thinker who knows that we cannot have local realistic hidden variables, this isn't as interesting as it appears at first glance. The statement "If we had local hidden variables they could be deterministic" is of the same form as "If wishes were horses we'd all be riding"; it's true but doesn't tell us much about our world in which we do not have local hidden variables.

On the other hand, it's historically important and interesting. The EPR characterization of QM as "incomplete" was motivated as much by an aesthetic and philosophical preference for determinism as for locality.

are there things that we cannot mimmic with a simple computer?
we can write programs where [itex] \lambda [/itex] is the random function.

stevendaryl said:
This is just a little note describing something that may be common knowledge, but I was confused about, myself, which is the relationship between local hidden variables and determinism.

For a hidden-variables explanation of the twin-pair EPR experiment, people often look to deterministic models. They assume that there is some hidden variable [itex]\lambda[/itex] and the results of a spin measurement along axis [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] for one of the particles is a function [itex]F(\vec{a}, \lambda)[/itex]. At first, that doesn't seem very general, and it's not--we can certainly imagine a stochastic process where the outcome of the measurement is not uniquely determined by the hidden variables plus the state of the detector, but is partly random. Why should people assume that the outcome is deterministic?

The first reason, which is the one I've given in the past, is because of perfect correlations. In the twin pair EPR experiment, if the two detectors measure spins along the same axis, they always get the same result (in the spin-1 case) or always get the opposite result (in the spin-1/2 case). These perfect correlations are not possible if there is local nondeterminism involved.

But actually, there's a much more general reason, that's independent of the specific predictions of quantum mechanics: For any probabilistic theory, there are corresponding deterministic theories in which all probabilities are due to unknown hidden variables in the initial state. That doesn't mean that there is no point in making nondeterministic theories, because the nondeterministic theory might be much more elegant and plausible than the corresponding deterministic theory. But purely as a logical matter, if you're trying to see whether it is possible to have a hidden-variables theory that explains a certain empirical result, you don't lose any generality by just considering deterministic models. If a nondeterministic local theory is possible, then so is a deterministic local theory.

This isn't particularly profound or difficult, but many people might not know it.

Here's how it works: Suppose you have a nondeterministic theory, in which the outcome of a measurement depends in a probabilistic way on the settings of your measuring device:

[itex]P(i | j)[/itex] is the probability of getting result [itex]R_i[/itex] when the device has setting [itex]S_j[/itex].

For simplicity, let's assume that the results can take on values [itex]R_0, R_1, ...[/itex]. Let me define a cumulative probability function

[itex]P_C(i | j) = P(0 | j) + P(1 | j) + \ldots + P(i | j)[/itex]

This is the probability that the result will be in the range between [itex]R_0[/itex] and [itex]R_i[/itex]

Now, let's introduce a function [itex]F(j,\lambda)[/itex] defined as follows:

[itex]F(j,\lambda) = R_0[/itex] if [itex]0 \leq \lambda < P_C(0,j)[/itex]
[itex] = R_1[/itex] if [itex] P_C(0,j) \leq \lambda < P_C(1,j)[/itex]
[itex] = R_2[/itex] if [itex] P_C(1,j) \leq \lambda < P_C(2,j)[/itex]
etc.

This model puts all the nondeterminism into the variable [itex]\lambda[/itex], which is assumed to be a real number between 0 and 1 with a flat probability distribution.

As I said, I'm not claiming that this is a plausible model, only that it is mathematically consistent with the probability distribution [itex]P(i | j)[/itex]

what is determinism to you ? which is your definition.

audioloop said:
what is determinism to you ? which is your definition.

A theory is deterministic if there is only possible future state compatible with the present state.

stevendaryl said:
A theory is deterministic if there is only possible future state compatible with the present state.
stevendaryl said:
A theory is deterministic if there is an only possible future state compatible with the present state.

an event needs an antecedent event ?

Last edited:
audioloop said:
an event needs an antecedent event ?

I'm not sure what you mean, but a deterministic theory has a notion of "state" of the universe, and this state changes with time in a predictable way:

[itex]S(t+\delta t) = F(S(t), \delta t)[/itex]

stevendaryl said:
I'm not sure what you mean,

but a deterministic theory has a notion of "state" of the universe, and this "state" changes with time in a predictable way: ...to another "state"

[itex]S(t+\delta t) = F(S(t), \delta t)[/itex]

same thing.

a state needs a previous state.

that's what you mean?

------
PD: bold and italic mine.

audioloop said:
same thing.

a state needs a previous state.

that's what you mean?

------
PD: bold and italic mine.

No, usually a deterministic state machine has an initial state, which can be any of a set of possibilities. So the only nondeterminism is in initial conditions.

stevendaryl said:
No, usually a deterministic state machine has an initial state, which can be any of a set of possibilities. So the only nondeterminism is in initial conditions.

machine ?

audioloop said:
machine ?

I was using terminology from computer science. I don't know what the more general terminology is.

What are hidden-variables in science?

Hidden-variables refer to theoretical properties or characteristics that are not directly observable but are believed to influence the behavior of a system. They are used to explain phenomena that cannot be explained by observable variables alone.

How are hidden-variables related to determinism?

Hidden-variables are often used in deterministic theories to explain the apparent randomness or indeterminacy of certain physical systems. They suggest that there are underlying factors that determine the outcome of events, even if they cannot be directly observed or measured.

What is the controversy surrounding hidden-variables?

The use of hidden-variables in science is highly debated, as some scientists argue that they are not necessary to explain certain phenomena and that they violate the principles of quantum mechanics. Others argue that they are essential for a complete understanding of the universe.

How are hidden-variables tested and verified?

Since hidden-variables are not directly observable, they cannot be tested or verified in the traditional sense. Instead, scientists use mathematical models and simulations to make predictions and compare them to experimental data. If the predictions match the data, it can provide evidence for the existence of hidden-variables.

What are some real-world applications of hidden-variables?

Hidden-variables have been used in various fields of science, such as quantum mechanics, chaos theory, and psychology, to explain complex phenomena. They have also been applied in engineering and technology, such as in the development of efficient communication systems and artificial intelligence.