Higbie's penetration theory in a bubble

In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of a bubble in a liquid and its effect on mass transfer. It is determined that the system is static due to the small difference in velocity between the bubble and the fluid in the penetration layer. The concept of "residence time" is introduced, with the value of x being the diameter of the bubble. The conversation also touches on the mass transfer coefficient and how the average value should be used in the macroscopic equation.
dRic2
Hi pf,

I was wondering about a bubble moving with constant velocity in a liquid, and how the motion affects the mass transfer. Since the viscosity of the gas is significantly smaller than the viscosity of the liquid, the condition ## \tau_{gas} = \tau_{liquid} ## tells me that
$$ \mu_{gas} ( \frac {dv_{gas}} {dy} )_{boundary} = \mu_{gas} ( \frac {dv_{liquid}} {dy} )_{boundary} → (\frac {dv_{gas}} {dy} )_{boundary} >> ( \frac {dv_{liquid}} {dy} )_{boundary} $$
So we can assume the system is static (because there is no significant variation from the velocity of the bubble and the velocity of the fluid in the penetration layer). Now my problem arise:
my professor and all the books I read, introduce the concept of "residence time" ##tc = x/v##, but what exactly is ##x##? I figured out it has to be the diameter of the bubble, but why?? Can someone please explain me this, I spent 2 hours thinking on it and still I don't get it... I feel like I'm close to the solution, but I'm not 100% sure

Physics news on Phys.org
From the rest frame of reference of the bubble, the fluid velocity at the surface of the bubble is on the order of the upward bubble velocity (the latter reckoned from the laboratory frame of reference). This fluid moves like a slab over the perimeter of the bubble (neglecting the radius of curvature, which is large compared to the concentration boundary layer thickness). So the mass transfer to the fluid is like transient mass transfer to a semi-infinite slab. The contact time is on the order of the bubble diameter divided by the upward bubble velocity.

HI, thank you for your replay. Sorry if I bother you with one more question bout it, but I really need to know an other thing about this. When I solve the indefinite equation of mass-transfer (I apologize if the name is wrong, but I don't know how to say it in english, anyway I refero to ## \frac {D\rho_i} {Dt} = -λ_i∇^2\rho_i+ r_i##
i find that the mass transfer coefficient is $$K_c(t) = \sqrt \frac {λ_i} {πt} $$ (##λ_i## = diffusion coefficient). Then I find the average coefficient: $$ K_{c, av} = \frac 1 t ∫K_c(t)dt = 1.12\sqrt \frac {λ_i} {t}$$.
Now my question is: in the "macroscopic" equation:
$$ \frac {dm_i} {dt} = -Kc*S*Δ\rho_i $$
should I use ##K_c(t)## or ##K_{c,av}## ?

Again sorry for my english

You would use the average value. The final mass transfer coefficient only applies toward the trailing edge of the bubble, and the mass transfer coefficient becomes infinite near the leading edge. So the correct value to use is the average value over the contact length.

Likes dRic2
HI, sorry for the late replay I had hard times trying to imagine this phenomenon. I think I figured it out now... probably. Thank you :)

1. What is Higbie's penetration theory?

Higbie's penetration theory is a mathematical model used to describe the mass transfer of a solute from a bulk fluid to a bubble or droplet in a liquid medium. It is based on Fick's laws of diffusion and is commonly used in the study of gas-liquid reactions.

2. How does Higbie's penetration theory explain the transfer of solute to a bubble?

Higbie's penetration theory states that the transfer of solute to a bubble occurs through two distinct processes - diffusion and convection. Diffusion is the movement of solute molecules from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration, while convection is the movement of the bulk fluid due to the bubble's motion. The theory combines these processes to calculate the overall mass transfer rate.

3. What factors influence the mass transfer rate according to Higbie's penetration theory?

The mass transfer rate according to Higbie's penetration theory is influenced by several factors, including the concentration gradient of the solute, the diffusivity of the solute in the liquid medium, the surface area of the bubble, and the velocity of the bubble through the liquid.

4. What are the limitations of Higbie's penetration theory?

While Higbie's penetration theory is a useful model for understanding the mass transfer of solutes to bubbles, it has some limitations. It assumes that the bubble is stationary and that the solute is uniformly distributed at the bubble's surface. In reality, the bubble may be moving or changing shape, and the solute distribution may not be uniform.

5. How is Higbie's penetration theory used in practical applications?

Higbie's penetration theory is commonly used in chemical and environmental engineering to model gas-liquid reactions, such as in wastewater treatment or in the production of pharmaceuticals. It can also be used to optimize processes and equipment involved in gas absorption and stripping operations.