High Pass Filter: R & C Transfer Function

In summary: Mostly correct. The transfer funtion Z = Vo/Vi is basically the transfer from Vi --> Vo. for the HPF, low frequencies are attenuated, and high frequencies are passed with little attenuation. The LPF's behavior is just the opposite in its Vi --> Vo behavior. For most applications, an HPF would be used to filter out high frequencies, while a LPF would be used to filter out low frequencies. HPFs and LPFs are commonly used in audio applications, such as music playback and telephone systems.
gimini75
whats the transfer function of this simple High Pass filtre circut:

if R = 10000 ohm

C = 220 nF

Attachments

• trans.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 210
Physics news on Phys.org
gimini75 said:
whats the transfer function of this simple High Pass filtre circut:

if R = 10000 ohm

C = 220 nF

Are you sure about the transfer function you wrote in the document? I get something different. Can you show the steps you went through to calculate that transfer function?

Sorry, what did you got? Iam not sure about the transfer function and I don't know how to find it, if you found it, please let me know?

gimini75 said:
Sorry, what did you got? Iam not sure about the transfer function and I don't know how to find it, if you found it, please let me know?

Er, no. Per the PF Rules, we don't give out answers here to homework/coursework questions. We can offer tutorial help, as long as you show your work and do the bulk of the work.

How are transfer functions defined in general? If the circuit were just two resistors instead of a resistor and capacitor, what would be the transfer function? When you change the input resistor to the capacitor (like in your document), what changes in the transfer function? Show us your attempt to do that math, and we can offer hints if you are missing something.

I found that the Transfer functon is:

Ts = 0.0022 / (0.0022s + 1)

Is it wright?

gimini75 said:
I found that the Transfer functon is:

Ts = 0.0022 / (0.0022s + 1)

Is it wright?

No, I don't think so. Your transfer function fot the HPF in the document needs to be a function of frequency. At low frequencies, the transfer function will be much less than 1, and at high frequencies, it should get very close to 1.

What is the "s" in your equation above? Please show each step of your math. Show us the case for 2 resistors first, and then show us how the math changes when the input component goes from a resistor to a capacitor.

This what i have done step by step:
V(s) = R I (s)
V(s)/I(s) = R =ZR
V(s)/I(s) = 1/Cs = ZC

Transfer function = Vo/Vi = ZR / (ZR + Zc) = R / (ZR + 1/Cs)

= [R / (R + Zc)] x Zc/Zc
= RC / (RCs + 1)

R (resistance) = 10 kilo ohm
C (capacitance) = 220 nF

Therefore the transfer function for the High Pass will be:

0.0022 / (0.0022S + 1)

gimini75 said:
This what i have done step by step:
V(s) = R I (s)
V(s)/I(s) = R =ZR
V(s)/I(s) = 1/Cs = ZC

Transfer function = Vo/Vi = ZR / (ZR + Zc) = R / (ZR + 1/Cs)

= [R / (R + Zc)] x Zc/Zc
= RC / (RCs + 1)

R (resistance) = 10 kilo ohm
C (capacitance) = 220 nF

Therefore the transfer function for the High Pass will be:

0.0022 / (0.0022S + 1)

I think you have it correct until you try to move the fraction out of the denominator. Look at the fraction again, and be careful moving it out of the denominator:

[tex]Z(s) = Z(j\omega) = \frac{R}{R + \frac{1}{j\omega C}}[/tex]

Yes but it gives the same answer as mine if u put the value of R and C, I have tried this transfer function in MATLAB but it is incorrect transfer function?

gimini75 said:
Yes but it gives the same answer as mine if u put the value of R and C, I have tried this transfer function in MATLAB but it is incorrect transfer function?

Hint: there is something missing from your numerator. Remember, the transfer function Z(s) = Z(jw) should go to 1 as the frequency w goes to infinity...

Hi

Can you please discuss the features of Low pass and High pass filters for me and suggest their application areas?

Thanks

gimini75 said:
Hi

Can you please discuss the features of Low pass and High pass filters for me and suggest their application areas?

Thanks

That sounds like another homework question, so no, we won't give you the answer to it. Tell us your thoughts instead...

Thanks

I think the features of HPF and LPF are in the simpleist circuit is when Vo is applied to a HPF the high frequency can pass easily but in a LPF the low frequency can pass easily that's what I think I don't know if Iam wrong?

gimini75 said:
Thanks

I think the features of HPF and LPF are in the simpleist circuit is when Vo is applied to a HPF the high frequency can pass easily but in a LPF the low frequency can pass easily that's what I think I don't know if Iam wrong?

Mostly correct. The transfer funtion Z = Vo/Vi is basically the transfer from Vi --> Vo. for the HPF, low frequencies are attenuated, and high frequencies are passed with little attenuation. The LPF's behavior is just the opposite in its Vi --> Vo behavior.

Now tell us when you would typically use each one. What would be some typical applications of HPFs and LPFs?

I think the typical application of HPFs and LPFs is in the audio sound system?

gimini75 said:
I think the typical application of HPFs and LPFs is in the audio sound system?

That's a good example. Think of the treble and bass adjustments on your stereo...

What is a high pass filter?

A high pass filter is an electronic circuit that allows high-frequency signals to pass through while attenuating or blocking low-frequency signals.

What is the transfer function of a high pass filter?

The transfer function of an R & C high pass filter is equal to the ratio of the output voltage to the input voltage and is given by H(s) = sRC / (1 + sRC), where s is the frequency in radians per second and RC is the product of the resistance and capacitance values in the circuit.

How does a high pass filter work?

A high pass filter works by using a combination of resistors and capacitors to create a voltage divider. This divider attenuates low-frequency signals, allowing only high-frequency signals to pass through.

What is the cutoff frequency of a high pass filter?

The cutoff frequency of a high pass filter is the frequency at which the output voltage is attenuated by 3dB or half of its original value. It is given by fc = 1 / (2πRC), where R is the resistance and C is the capacitance in the circuit.

What are the applications of a high pass filter?

High pass filters are commonly used in audio systems to remove low-frequency noise and improve the overall sound quality. They are also used in communication systems to remove unwanted low-frequency signals and in electronic circuits to protect sensitive components from low-frequency interference.