High School Level Physics Homework

In summary, a highway needs to be built between two towns, one located 35.0km south and 72.0km west of the other. Using the Pythagorean theorem and basic trigonometry, the shortest distance between the two towns can be found to be approximately 80.3km, with the highway directed at an angle of 24.0 degrees with respect to due west.
Itsreason

Homework Statement

A highway is to be built between two towns, one of which lies 35.0km south and 72.0km west of the other. What is the shortest length of highway that can be built between the two towns, and at what angle would this highway be directed with respect to due west.

Homework Equations

A^2 + B^2 = C^2 ... this might be used, I am unsure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that this involves the trig functions sin, cosine, and tangent. This is the first homework problem of the section and I am having trouble visualizing it. Please help. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try drawing a quick sketch on graph paper roughly to scale showing a point for town A at the origin and another point for town B located as given at x ='-72 and y = -35. A line drawn from A to B is the shortest distance between the 2 and will be the hypotenuse of the right triangle with the leg dimensions as given. Looks like Pythagoras will give you the distance and a little trig (you know SOH-CAH-TOA?) will give the angle.

1. What is the purpose of high school level physics homework?

The purpose of high school level physics homework is to reinforce concepts and principles taught in class through practice and application. It also helps students develop problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities.

2. How much time should I spend on high school level physics homework?

The amount of time spent on high school level physics homework may vary depending on the individual student's understanding and pace. However, a general guideline is to spend about 30 minutes to an hour each day on physics homework.

3. What resources can I use to help me with high school level physics homework?

In addition to your textbook and class notes, there are many online resources available to assist with high school level physics homework. These include instructional videos, practice problems, and interactive simulations.

4. What should I do if I am struggling with my high school level physics homework?

If you are struggling with your high school level physics homework, it is important to seek help from your teacher or a tutor. They can provide additional explanations and guidance to help improve your understanding of the material.

5. How can I improve my grades in high school level physics homework?

To improve your grades in high school level physics homework, it is important to attend class regularly, pay attention, take thorough notes, and complete all assignments on time. It is also helpful to review and practice regularly, ask questions, and seek help when needed.