High School Student Looking for College Physics Course in New England

In summary, the high school student is looking for a college in New England where they can take a physics course over the summer. They are also interested in pre-AP or SAT II summer classes. The best option would be to search through the websites of universities near them or email them directly. It may be possible to take a college intro level physics course, but it may be too advanced for the student. They have had trouble finding affordable options or options that align with their school schedule. The suggestion is made to potentially dual-enroll in the Fall or to self-study in the meantime.
mezzoforte
Hi, I'm a high school student...I was wondering if anyone could help me find a college where I'd be able to take a physics course over the summer (it doesn't matter if it's for credit or not). I live in Massachusetts, and would prefer a program in New England. If there are any pre-AP or SAT II summer classes, I'd be interested in those as well. :D

Physics news on Phys.org
You'd probably be best off by looking through the websites of universities near you, or even emailing them about it. It'll depend heavily on what level physics course you want to take. I'm not sure if many colleges have pre-AP or SAT II courses per se, but if you'd be willing to take a college intro level physics course, I'm sure you could find somewhere--there are a lot of good schools in your area, and most good ones offer intro level summer classes. That might be a bit advanced for you, though, since most of the students normally in those classes have had some high school physics, if not AP already.

(I'm a junior and taking physics I currently. :p )
I feel like I've looked everywhere...either the cost is too much, or the classes start before my last day of school. Or if the college is far away, it doesn't offer housing. D:
Could someone recommend some schools for me to look into that would allow high school students over the summer?

This isn't hugely relevant advice, but is it possible to dual-enroll the desired physics class in the Fall? If so, you could try some self-study in the meantime.

I'm afraid that's the best advice I can give, but is it a decent alternative?

Hello! I highly encourage your interest in physics and your motivation to seek out a college course during the summer. It is a great way to get a head start on your college education and explore your passion for physics.

There are many colleges in New England that offer summer physics courses for high school students. Some notable options include Harvard University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), and Boston University. These courses may or may not offer college credit, so be sure to check with the specific institution for their policies.

In addition, there are many pre-AP and SAT II summer classes available in the New England area. These courses are designed to help students prepare for these exams and can be a great way to supplement your high school education.

I recommend doing some research on the different colleges and programs available to find the best fit for your needs and interests. Best of luck in your search!

1. What are some recommended colleges in New England for studying physics?

Some top colleges in New England for studying physics include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Harvard University, Yale University, and Brown University.

2. What types of physics courses are typically offered for high school students at these colleges?

These colleges offer a range of physics courses for high school students, including introductory courses in mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. They may also offer advanced courses in specific areas such as astrophysics, particle physics, and biophysics.

3. Are there any prerequisites for enrolling in a college-level physics course as a high school student?

Some colleges may require high school students to have completed specific courses in high school, such as calculus and physics, before enrolling in college-level physics courses. It is best to check with the individual college for their specific prerequisites.

4. Is it possible to take physics courses at multiple colleges in New England?

Yes, it is possible to take physics courses at multiple colleges in New England. Some colleges offer summer programs or dual enrollment options for high school students, allowing them to take courses at multiple institutions.

5. What resources are available at these colleges to support high school students studying physics?

These colleges often have dedicated resources and support for high school students studying physics. This may include tutoring services, study groups, research opportunities, and access to state-of-the-art laboratories and equipment.