High School Student Unable to Decide Between Math or Physics

In summary, this high school student is unsure of whether to choose mathematics or physics, but ultimately recommends taking the same classes in both subjects in order to figure out what they want to do with their life.
jorgerocha
Hello,

I am a junior in high school and I can't seem to decide between physics or mathematics. I have always had an affinity for the two subjects since preschool. This is a very difficult decision for me because I enjoy both subjects very much.

My knowledge for both subjects are at a layman's level, but I am aware of some of the subjects of today. For math I know the greats (Euclid, Archimedes, Fermat, Galois, Cantor, Gauss, Euler, Poincare, Bourbaki, Godel, etc.), the current players (Tao, Wiles, Grothenidieck, Conway), and a very basic layman knowledge of the subjects (Topology, Set Theory, Number Theory, Discrete Mathematics, etc.).

The same goes for physics, but I won't list them to not appear pretentious.

Could you please help? I am confused. :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
jorgerocha said:
The same goes for physics, but I won't list them to not appear pretentious.
This literally made me laugh out loud after reading the above part.

Dude, you're in high school, you don't need to decide yet. Just keep taking math and physics and decide later.

Have you taken calculus yet?

Most colleges recommend that students not choose a specific major until their sophomore year. It is sufficient that you choose, say, the sciences or the humanities or literature by the time you are choosing a college.

Have you taken calculus yet?

At the moment I am taking precalculus, but I am currently taking only college classes at the local university. So, next semester I will take Calculus.

jorgerocha said:
At the moment I am taking precalculus, but I am currently taking only college classes at the local university. So, next semester I will take Calculus.
Then you have experienced nearly no math or physics yet. Which is ok! Just don't worry about picking yet.

Jorriss said:
Then you have experienced nearly no math or physics yet. Which is ok! Just don't worry about picking yet.

Is there anything you would recommend?

jorgerocha said:
Is there anything you would recommend?
In terms of? Course guidance? General university guidance? something else?

Jorriss said:
In terms of? Course guidance? General university guidance? something else?
I would say course guidance and career guidance, as in what are the odds of Physics in academia and industry.

ben.richards said:
High School Student Unable to Decide Between Math or Physics

I highly recommend you simplify your desicon-making process by reducing ambiguity, uncertainty and complexity, might I suggest an Integrated appproach.

Could you elaborate?

When you're a freshman in college, enroll in one physics course and one math course. Take it from there. Problem solved.

jorgerocha said:
I would say course guidance and career guidance, as in what are the odds of Physics in academia and industry.

My advice is to listen to this advice exactly.

bcrowell said:
When you're a freshman in college, enroll in one physics course and one math course. Take it from there. Problem solved.

jorgerocha said:

That's a rather complicated question, and there are lots of discussion on this in this forum.

It would probably be best if you wait until junior year to worry about this. The basic classes for math and physics are those that you would need to take for all sorts of things, and you don't have to worry much about career issues until you start thinking about whether you want to go to graduate school.

One thing. I'm assuming that you are in the United States or Canada. If you aren't, then that changes things a lot.

1. What are the differences between studying math and physics in high school?

Math and physics are both challenging and rewarding subjects that require strong analytical and problem-solving skills. However, math is primarily focused on abstract concepts and theoretical reasoning, while physics involves applying mathematical principles to understand the physical world. In high school, math courses often cover topics such as algebra, geometry, and calculus, while physics courses cover topics like mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and thermodynamics.

2. Which subject is more useful for future careers?

Both math and physics can lead to a variety of careers in fields such as engineering, finance, and research. However, math is often seen as more versatile and applicable to a wider range of industries and job roles. Physics, on the other hand, may be more useful for careers in fields such as aerospace, energy, or materials science. Ultimately, the usefulness of each subject depends on the specific career path an individual chooses.

3. Can I study both math and physics in high school?

Yes, it is possible to take both math and physics courses in high school. In fact, many high schools offer a track for students who are interested in pursuing both subjects. This can be a great option for students who are undecided about which subject they prefer, as it allows them to explore both and potentially find a passion for one or the other.

4. Which subject is more challenging?

Both math and physics can be challenging for different reasons. Math often involves complex problem-solving and abstract thinking, while physics requires a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and their application to real-world scenarios. Some students may find one subject more challenging than the other, depending on their strengths and interests.

5. How can I decide between studying math or physics?

The best way to decide between studying math or physics is to consider your strengths, interests, and goals. If you enjoy solving complex problems and have a strong aptitude for math, you may lean towards studying math. If you are curious about how the physical world works and enjoy applying math to real-life situations, physics may be a better fit. It is also helpful to talk to your teachers, guidance counselor, and peers for insight and advice.