High school teacher looking for data students can work with

In summary, the goal of this project is to collect data from high school students using introductory modern physics. They will study classical physics, chemistry and differential calculus. Some will concurrently be taking integral calculus. I do not see much I can do to collect data with them, so am looking for sources of data they can work with. They will be able to do basic calculations with relativistic momentum and energy, as well as the Lorentz transformations. Any suggestions would be very welcome.
Fewmet
I will be working with a group of high school students on introductory modern physics. They've studied classical physics, chemistry and differential calculus. Some will be taking integral calculus concurrently. We work from Weidner and Sells Elementary Modern Physics. I do not see much I can do to collect data with them, and so am looking for sources of data they can work with. They will be able to do basic calculations with relativistic momentum and energy (as well as the Lorentz transformations).

Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you say more about what data you are looking for? And you've posted this in the Quantum forum -- will the students be working with Quantum Mechanics?

there are some reasonably priced slit experiment setups. photoelectric effect work function experiments are also reasonable to set up. maybe some kind of squid experiment (superconductor), or hall effect (not super quantum, but can talk about holes and positrons, which is modern). also, i think a band gap experiment would be cool, control the energy of the source to see if how much potential is needed to overcome the band gap (so you can demonstrate the potential well excersices typical of intro QM). even a simple demonstration of a laser pointer on cd vs. dvd vs. blu-ray would demonstrate reciprocal lattice stuff and k-space. maybe a field trip to a linear accelerator (if you have one), or xrd/sem machine (compton/braggs).

there are apps that can detect muons and stuff now: http://wipac.wisc.edu/deco . muon decay is a typical relativity demonstration (time dilation). but deco doesn't seem to be able to get the counts needed for this demonstration.

some of the experiments here seem doable: https://physics.ucsd.edu/students/courses/spring2010/physics2dl/labmanual.pdf . there are pleanty of modern physics lab manuals you can look at for ideas.
diffraction grating of sodium bulb, you might be able to set up an interferometer for a reasonable price. modern physics has so many tie-ins that you have a great scope to work with.

Likes Dr. Courtney
berkeman said:
Can you say more about what data you are looking for? And you've posted this in the Quantum forum -- will the students be working with Quantum Mechanics?
The students start with relativistic dynamics and kinematics, then move into quantum theory. The text introduces that through the photoelectric effect and then builds on the theory through explaining x-ray production, Bremsstrahlung, the Compton effect, photon-electron interactions and photon absorption. Then it takes up duality through x-ray and electron diffraction. I am not, though, wed to that presentation or sequence.

I was thinking there might be data sets we could access and analyze. I have found, for example, posted measurements from a photoelectric effect experiment, although it was only a handful of trials. Something like authentic data that could be understood in terms of the Compton effect, for example, would be helpful.

For photoelectric effect, the standard or common experiment is to measure the stopping potential for each frequency or wavelength of light used.

http://www.ayva.ca/p=EX-5549A

The analysis done for such data is to calculate Planck constant and the work function of the material.

Zz.

1. What kind of data can students work with as a high school teacher?

Students can work with a variety of data, including numerical data (such as test scores or survey results), text data (such as written responses or articles), and visual data (such as graphs or charts).

2. How can students access and collect data for a project?

Students can access data through online databases, surveys, interviews, or by collecting their own data through experiments or observations. Teachers can also provide data sets for students to work with.

3. Are there any specific skills or tools students need to work with data?

While specific skills and tools may vary depending on the project, some common skills and tools students may need include the ability to analyze and interpret data, use of spreadsheet software, and knowledge of statistical methods.

4. How can teachers help students with data analysis and interpretation?

Teachers can provide guidance and instruction on data analysis and interpretation techniques, such as creating graphs and charts, identifying patterns and trends, and drawing conclusions based on the data. They can also provide support and resources for students to use in their analysis.

5. What are some potential real-world applications for students working with data?

Students can apply their data skills in various fields, such as business, healthcare, education, and research. They can also use data to make informed decisions and solve real-world problems, such as analyzing consumer trends, predicting market demand, or identifying patterns in public health data.