Should I say I'm a full-time data scientist and physics student in my SOP?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether it is appropriate to mention being a full-time physics student, full-time data scientist employee, and physics researcher in a graduate school statement of purpose. Some members feel this may come across as too confident or bragging, while others suggest stating these roles in more concrete terms. There is also discussion about the feasibility of working and studying full-time, with concerns raised about self-care and potential burnout. Mentioning passing physics classes without attending lectures is also deemed potentially negative, as it may suggest a lack of interest in learning. The conversation concludes with a reminder that real life does not have breaks, and hard work will continue beyond school.
ricky33
Is it a good or bad idea to mention that I am a full-time physics student while simultaneously a full-time data scientist employee while doing physics research too in my SOP for grad school?

Is it seen as too confident or bragging? Or it helps me to say this?
Does it make it sound bad if I mention that I passed all my physics classes with high rankings without attending any class nor watching lectures? Only by reading on my own and doing the exams.

I mean some of the most important skills for a PhD are time management and being able to work independently along with handling a lot of work. Which could be proven by my previous experience stated in the title.

Physics news on Phys.org
This sounds really, really unrealistic. You spend 8 hours a day on physics and another 8 hours a day on data science? Really?

Vanadium 50 said:
This sounds really, really unrealistic. You spend 8 hours a day on physics and another 8 hours a day on data science? Really?
That's 16 hours and I still have 8 hours to sleep, basic math. You haven't seen someone work the whole day and sleep for less than 8 hours? Besides, there are weekends and some holidays and a whole 3 months of summer period. You'd be surprised how much you can do if you know how to fully take advantage of your time.

I didn't ask if what I am ALREADY doing sounds realistic or not. I was asking if it is good to mention it in my application. But I guess I got my answer based on your surprised response.

V50 beat me to it.

In your graduate application, you want to present an accurate picture of yourself and your circumstances. It might come across better if you state these things in more concrete terms though. The term "full time" can mean different things to different people.

For example if someone tells me they are a "full time" physics student, in the absence of any other information I tend to assume they are taking about 15 - 18 credit-hours worth of courses each semester. As a rule of thumb, successful students will spend at least two hours outside of their classes for every hour within, so you're looking at about 45 - 54 dedicated study hours. If someone tells me they are working "full time" in the absence of any other information I tend to assume they are working about 40 hours per week at that job (and not studying while doing it). If on top of that you claim you are making a significant contribution to a research project as an undergraduate, in the absence of other information I would assume you're contributing about 9-12 hours per week to it.

This sets my BS meter off.

While physically possible, and I have known people who have done this, I also start to wonder about things like how well this person takes care of themselves. What do they do for exercise, recreation, or down time? Do they get enough sleep? Do they have healthy relationships with other people? Or, are they a burnout (or worse) waiting to happen? In my experience when I've seen people working and studying full time like this, it doesn't last long and it can come with some very negative consequences. So if I were reading something like this on an application, indeed, it will raise some flags.
ricky33 said:
Does it make it sound bad if I mention that I passed all my physics classes with high rankings without attending any class nor watching lectures? Only by reading on my own and doing the exams.
Yes.

While everyone has their own methods for studying, and independence can be a good thing, do you really want your application to come across like, "If I get into your program, I'm not going to bother coming to lectures. I don't actually need you to teach me anything?"
ricky33 said:
I mean some of the most important skills for a PhD are time management and being able to work independently along with handling a lot of work.

Sure. But those aren't the only skills you'll need. You'll also have to work collaboratively as a member of a team, be able to manage a project, and quite likely you'll face situations where the project doesn't go as planned and you'll have to adapt on the fly.

• Love
Likes StatGuy2000, berkeman and Vanadium 50
ricky33 said:
That's 16 hours and I still have 8 hours to sleep, basic math.
24 hours - (8 hours physics + 8 hours data science + 8 hours sleeping) = 0 hours washing

Must get pretty stinky.

Basic math.

• Haha
Likes hutchphd, berkeman and MidgetDwarf
ricky33 said:
Choppy said:
Yes.

While everyone has their own methods for studying, and independence can be a good thing, do you really want your application to come across like, "If I get into your program, I'm not going to bother coming to lectures. I don't actually need you to teach me anything?"

This.

Possibly unfair, but my reaction included, "And I won't be around to help anyone else. I will be in my room, alone..."

Likes berkeman and Vanadium 50
ricky33 said:
Does it make it sound bad if I mention that I passed all my physics classes with high rankings without attending any class nor watching lectures?
How did you do in the labs? You should describe how you collaborated with your lab partners and how that collaboration resulted in excellent lab analyses and reports.

ricky33 said:
Besides, there are weekends and some holidays and a whole 3 months of summer period.
FYI, there are no weekends or holidays or summer breaks in real life. If you are working that hard right now to do well in school, you will not be taking any breaks in your work at startups or wherever you are headed. Been there.

ricky33 said:
I didn't ask if what I am ALREADY doing sounds realistic or not. I was asking if it is good to mention it in my application. But I guess I got my answer based on your surprised response.
Here's the deal.
The idea is to provide them your purpose for applying: what can they do for you and what you can provide them in return. Do that energetically and vividly and specifically.
But how many jobs you work is not directly relevant, and nobody wants to hire someone who always thinks he is the smartest guy in the room. It might be true but almost always it is an indicator of poor assessment skill on the part of the applicant

Likes gwnorth, Vanadium 50 and berkeman
ricky33 said:
Is it seen as too confident or bragging? Or it helps me to say this?
There's an old cliché : "Actions speak louder than words." To rephrase what others have been telling you, you don't want to explicitly tell the admissions committee, "I am the greatest, and you should admit me because I'll be a fantastic asset to your program."; you should detail your skills and accomplishments in such a manner that they will draw that conclusion.

Likes gwnorth, gmax137 and hutchphd
ricky33 said:

Let me ask you this. Suppose you are a faculty member who is consciencious in your teaching, and prepares lectures to be as engaging as possible, and has an idea that he/she is good at their job. (Most physics professors like to think so.) Then a student comes along who cuts all the classes and admits all (the professor's) effort is unnecessary.
Suppose another student comes along and has a 8 hour a day job AND still attends his classes and asks intelligent questions from time to time. I did this and received a good letter of recommendation when it came to graduate school. I doubt that cutting classes in favor of work demonstrates a committment to physics research.

I would be careful what you write in your statement of purpose. Your worry about "bragging" is misguided, in that a physics professor might interpret what you believe to be a strong positive as a red flag.

Likes Vanadium 50 and berkeman
ricky33 said:
I'm not sure how that would be relevant to your statement of purpose. Seems like if you were going to highlight your ability to learn independently that would be better suited to your personal statement.

mpresic3 said:
letter of recommendation
That's also key. "He got an A in my class, but I can't comment in any more detail because he never came to class. Or seminars. Or colloquia. Or office hours." is not what I would call a strong letter.

Also, since the OP was asking about a data science job in late June, he can't have been doing it very long. He wouldn't want to imply in his statement that he's been doing it for the duration of the degree if that's not so.

Also a year ago he was looking to start a physics degree program. I don't see how he finished it in less than a year, which is what "that I passed all my physics classes with high rankings" in the past tense suggests.

• Informative
Likes berkeman

1. Should I mention both my roles as a full-time data scientist and physics student in my statement of purpose (SOP)?

It depends on the requirements and focus of the program you are applying to. If your data science experience is relevant to the program and your physics studies have helped you develop important skills, then it may be beneficial to mention both roles in your SOP. However, if one role is not directly related to the program, it may be better to focus on the one that is more relevant.

2. How much detail should I include about my roles in my SOP?

Your SOP should primarily focus on your academic and research background, goals, and how the program aligns with your interests. Therefore, you should only include enough detail about your roles to support your overall narrative and demonstrate your skills and experiences that are relevant to the program.

3. Is it necessary to mention my data science experience if I am applying for a physics program?

If your data science experience has helped you develop important skills or has influenced your interest in physics, then it may be beneficial to mention it in your SOP. However, if it is not directly related to your interest in physics, it may not be necessary to include it in detail.

4. Can I mention my roles in the introduction or should I only include them in the relevant sections of my SOP?

You can mention your roles in the introduction of your SOP to provide context for your background and interests. However, make sure to also include more specific details and examples in the relevant sections of your SOP to support your overall narrative.

5. How can I effectively balance discussing both my roles in my SOP?

Focus on the skills and experiences that are relevant to the program you are applying to. If your data science experience has helped you develop skills that are applicable to physics, make sure to highlight those skills in your SOP. Additionally, you can mention how your roles have influenced your interest in the program and how you plan to integrate both roles in your future academic and research pursuits.