Higher and Lower heat value of combustion of Coal?

In summary, coal has a lower heat of combustion than other fuels because it has a high percentage of carbon. This affects the energy released during combustion.
Ahmed Navy
hello my friends ,
i have two question about calorific value of coal
why Lower heating value decrease with increase oxygen content but increase with increasing hydrogen , sulfur and carbon content ? Do this elements influence the higher heating value or not ?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I have checked this out some time ago, but I do not remember it perfectly so what I'm going to say it half memory and half guessing.

Some of the energy of combustion comes from the oxidizing reactions
$$C + O \rightarrow CO + O \rightarrow CO_2 $$
which should be exothermic (release heat).

If you increase the amount of oxigen in coal, you will have lots of ##C-O## bonds already in the coal and this mean that some of the carbon atoms are already oxidized: this is not good because they won't be able to react with oxygen like in the reaction above, thus less energy will be released. From the same reason if you increase the percentage of Carbon atoms you will get better performances.

About Hydrogen: ##H \cdot## is a very nice radical which speeds up the combustion reactions and prevent them from dying out.

I don't know about Sulfur

Likes Ahmed Navy
Ahmed Navy said:
Do this elements influence the higher heating value or not ?
What is your reflection on this?
What is the difference between the lower heating value and the higher heating value?

256bits said:
What is your reflection on this?
What is the difference between the lower heating value and the higher heating value?
lower heating value is net calorific value
higher heating value is gross calorific value

dRic2 said:
I have checked this out some time ago, but I do not remember it perfectly so what I'm going to say it half memory and half guessing.

Some of the energy of combustion comes from the oxidizing reactions
$$C + O \rightarrow CO + O \rightarrow CO_2 $$
which should be exothermic (release heat).

If you increase the amount of oxigen in coal, you will have lots of ##C-O## bonds already in the coal and this mean that some of the carbon atoms are already oxidized: this is not good because they won't be able to react with oxygen like in the reaction above, thus less energy will be released. From the same reason if you increase the percentage of Carbon atoms you will get better performances.

About Hydrogen: ##H \cdot## is a very nice radical which speeds up the combustion reactions and prevent them from dying out.

I don't know about Sulfur
i read in scientific paper about calorific value as the following :
" LHV of a fuel increases with increasing the hydrogen content due to cause combustion
water. The LHV of a fuel increases with increasing the sulfur content due to cause SOx
gases absorbed by water".
what do meaning of combustion water and SOx gases absorbed by water ?
can you assist me to understand what do he mean ?

Consider kerosene instead of coal to simplify the question, and more easily understand the difference between HHV and LHV.

In the USA, 1-K and 2-K kerosene grades are defined by ASTM D3699-90, and are identical except that 2-K has a higher sulfur content (0.30% max, by weight) while 1-K can have no more than 0.04% sulfur. In practice, due to stricter environmental standards evolving over time, 1-K kerosene sulfur content is typically no more than 15 ppm (0.0015% by weight) in many jurisdictions.

Both grades have identical distillation temperature profiles, and thus the same heat of combustion specifications. This is why it is a "simpler" fuel than coal, which has different heating values depending upon the type (lignite, bituminous, anthracite, etc), wide variations in sulfur content and other constituents, and more pronounced aging effects (freshly mined coal has a higher hydrogen content).

2-K kerosene can only be burned in flue-connected appliances which vent combustion gases including the water vapor resulting from combustion outside of a dwelling, and here the LHV (43.1 MJ/kg) is used. The sulfur content in 1-K kerosene is low enough that it can be burned in unvented appliances where combustion byproducts and water vapor are released to ambient air, and the HHV value (46.2 MJ/kg) is used.

The main difference between the two is the HHV value includes energy recovered by the phase change from combustion-produced water vapor to it's liquid form.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_of_combustion

You'll want to do further research on how this applies to coal.

Likes 256bits

1. What is the difference between higher and lower heat value of combustion of coal?

The higher heat value (HHV) of coal refers to the maximum amount of heat released when coal is completely burned, while the lower heat value (LHV) takes into account the energy required to vaporize the water produced during combustion. The HHV is typically 5-10% higher than the LHV.

2. How is the higher heat value of coal determined?

The HHV of coal is determined through a bomb calorimeter test, where a sample of coal is burned in a closed container under controlled conditions. The heat released during combustion is measured and used to calculate the HHV.

3. Why is the lower heat value of coal important?

The LHV of coal is important because it takes into account the energy required to vaporize the water produced during combustion. This value is more representative of the actual energy available for use in power generation and other applications.

4. How does the moisture content of coal affect its higher and lower heat values?

The moisture content of coal has a significant impact on its HHV and LHV. Higher moisture content means that more energy is required to vaporize the water, resulting in a lower LHV. Coal with lower moisture content will have a higher HHV and LHV.

5. Can the higher and lower heat values of coal vary between different types of coal?

Yes, the HHV and LHV of coal can vary between different types of coal, depending on their composition and properties. For example, lignite coal has a lower HHV and LHV compared to bituminous coal. This is due to the higher moisture and ash content of lignite coal.