Historical Power Plant Costs and Efficiencies?

In summary: They may be more than happy to help. In summary, the historical costs and efficiencies of various sources of energy (hydroelectricity, coal, petroleum, natural gas, etc.) and plant types (steam, diesel, and gas turbine) can be difficult to find, especially for those using other technologies and fuel sources. However, some sources of information, such as the EIA and EEI, are available. For more recent data, The Statistical Abstract of the USA is a good source.
Delta Force
I'm wondering if anyone knows where I could find information on historical costs and efficiencies of various sources of energy (hydroelectricity, coal, petroleum, natural gas, etc.) and plant types (steam, diesel, and gas turbine), especially at facilities of various sizes. That information isn't too difficult to find for more recent facilities and also for historical nuclear and renewable power facilities, but I haven't been able to find it for those using other technologies and fuel sources.

In terms of the cost estimates, I'm looking for something similar to the thermal power cost estimates from this.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You didn't say how far back in history, nor in which parts of the world you are interested in, nor how detailed or how accurate your needs are.

In the USA and for the most recent years, the EIA and the EEI are your best source. But even with those two, you may have to do a lot of digging to find exactly what you want.

Another source is The Statistical Abstract of the USA. It has lots of energy history, but it may aggregate more than you want. Every public library has a copy.

You linked one source, a paper or report or article. That's one way to go, find papers/reports/articles from each of the decades you are interested in.

Good luck

anorlunda said:
You didn't say how far back in history, nor in which parts of the world you are interested in, nor how detailed or how accurate your needs are.

In the USA and for the most recent years, the EIA and the EEI are your best source. But even with those two, you may have to do a lot of digging to find exactly what you want.

Another source is The Statistical Abstract of the USA. It has lots of energy history, but it may aggregate more than you want. Every public library has a copy.

You linked one source, a paper or report or article. That's one way to go, find papers/reports/articles from each of the decades you are interested in.

Good luck

I'm looking for information going back to just after World War II, around the late 1940s to the present. I'm primarily interested in the United States market, although data from other areas of the world would be of interest too. That would give a good indication not just of the economics of different power sources across time, but also across different areas. For example, some countries were heavier users of petroleum power than others.

In terms of detail, I'm looking for more information than a levelized cost estimate, although those are still of interest to me in terms of providing a basic level of information. Something similar to Table 1 on page 6 (PDF page 10) of this report plus capacity factors would work. The cost per kW capacity is very important though, since it is possible to approximate many of the other numbers based off general information known about the era (capacity factors, thermal efficiency, fuel costs, etc.).

It takes a vast amount of work to pull that data together. Most likely someone has done it and published it, but I don't know where to find it. Hopefully some other PF member will have a link for you.

You might try contacting the actual people who work at EIA and ask them for some references.

1. What factors influence the cost of historical power plants?

The cost of historical power plants is influenced by several factors including the type of fuel used, the size and capacity of the plant, the technology and equipment used, and the location of the plant. Other factors such as labor costs, construction costs, and financing also play a role in determining the overall cost of a power plant.

2. How have power plant costs changed over time?

The cost of power plants has varied over time depending on economic conditions, technological advancements, and changes in regulations. In general, the cost of power plants has decreased over time due to improvements in efficiency and cost-saving measures. However, the cost of certain types of power plants, such as nuclear plants, has increased due to stricter safety regulations and longer construction times.

3. What is the average efficiency of historical power plants?

The average efficiency of historical power plants varies depending on the type of fuel used and the technology employed. In general, older power plants have lower efficiencies compared to newer plants that utilize more advanced technology. The average efficiency of coal-fired power plants is around 33%, while natural gas plants have an average efficiency of 42%. However, newer plants using combined cycle technology can achieve efficiencies of over 60%.

4. How does the efficiency of power plants affect their cost?

The efficiency of a power plant is directly related to its cost. Higher efficiency plants require less fuel to produce the same amount of electricity, resulting in lower operating costs. However, these plants may have higher initial construction costs due to the use of advanced technology. In the long run, a more efficient power plant can save money on fuel and maintenance costs, making it a more cost-effective option.

5. How do historical power plant costs compare to renewable energy costs?

Historical power plants, particularly those using fossil fuels, tend to have higher upfront costs compared to renewable energy sources such as wind and solar. However, the cost of renewable energy has decreased significantly in recent years, making it a more cost-competitive option. Additionally, renewable energy sources have lower operating costs and do not emit greenhouse gases, making them a more sustainable and environmentally friendly choice in the long term.