Hockey Puck- Physics Friction Problem

In summary: But it is clear that the distance slows (roughly) in proportion to the coefficient of friction.In summary, the speed of the puck after traveling 58.5 m is 21.1 m/s, and the distance it will travel with the same initial and final speeds on rougher ice is approximately 5.85 m.
IamMoi

Homework Statement

A 0.170 kg hockey puck is initially moving at 21.2 m/s [W] along the ice. The coefficient
of kinetic friction for the puck and the ice is 0.005.

(a) What is the speed of the puck after traveling 58.5 m? ans: 21.1 m/s
(b) After being played on for a while, the ice becomes rougher and the coefficient of
kinetic friction increases to 0.047. How far will the puck travel if its initial and final
speeds are the same as before?

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma
Fg=mg
Fk=μk.Fn
Vf[itex]^{2}[/itex]=Vi[itex]^{2}[/itex]+2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

a.) Fnet=Fk
ma=μk.Fn
ma=μk.mg
a=[itex]\frac{(0.05)(0.170kg)(9.8m/s^{2})}{0.170kg}[/itex]
=0.049m/s[itex]^{2}[/itex]

Vf[itex]^{2}[/itex]=Vi[itex]^{2}[/itex]+2ad
=[itex]\sqrt{(21.2)^{2}-(0.049)(58.5)}[/itex]
=21.13m/s

b)Fnet=Fk
ma=μk.Fn
ma=μk.mg
a=[itex]\frac{(0.047)(0.170kg)(9.8m/s^{2})}{0.170kg}[/itex]
=0.04606m/s[itex]^{2}[/itex]

.. then i don't know what's next..

Physics news on Phys.org
At (a), the coefficient of friction is given as 0.005, but your calculation uses 0.05.

For (b), you can use the same formula as in (a). This time, the velocities are known and the distance is unknown.

mfb said:
At (a), the coefficient of friction is given as 0.005, but your calculation uses 0.05.

For (b), you can use the same formula as in (a). This time, the velocities are known and the distance is unknown.

oh sorry,your right, i typed it wrong..
that's my problem, i always have two unknown variables whenever i used different formula..

In b, the distance is the only unknown variable in the formula.

yes, i tried to do it like in part a) but i did not get the right answer.. the right answer is 6.24 m

pls post your working and the answer you got.

IamMoi said:
yes, i tried to do it like in part a) but i did not get the right answer.. the right answer is 6.24 m

For part (b), the initial and final speeds are the same as for part (a) - so the average speed is the same as part (a)

Since the coefficient of friction is nearly 10 times as large, the puck will take only (approx) one tenth the time to slow, so it has the same average speed for 1/10th the time, so should cover (approx) 1/10th the distance.

58.5 / 10 = 5.85m

Of course the new μ is not exactly 10 times the original, so that answer is only approximate.

1. What is a hockey puck?

A hockey puck is a disk-shaped object made of hard rubber that is used in the game of ice hockey. It is typically 1 inch thick and 3 inches in diameter, and weighs between 5.5 and 6 ounces.

2. How is friction involved in a hockey puck's movement?

Friction plays a crucial role in the movement of a hockey puck. As the puck slides across the ice, the friction between the puck and the ice surface creates a force called kinetic friction, which helps to slow down the puck's speed and ultimately bring it to a stop.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction on a hockey puck?

The amount of friction on a hockey puck is affected by several factors, including the texture of the ice surface, the temperature of the ice, and the material and condition of the hockey stick used to hit the puck. Additionally, the weight and shape of the puck can also impact the amount of friction.

4. How does the physics of friction impact a hockey game?

The physics of friction has a significant impact on a hockey game. The amount of friction on the ice can affect the speed and direction of the puck, making it harder for players to control and maneuver. The amount of friction also determines how quickly the puck will slow down and stop, which can affect scoring opportunities and game strategy.

5. Can friction be manipulated to improve a hockey player's performance?

Yes, friction can be manipulated to improve a hockey player's performance. For example, players may use different types of hockey sticks or add wax to the blade of their stick to reduce friction and increase the speed of their shots. Additionally, players can also adjust their movements and use techniques such as angling their stick to increase or decrease friction for better control of the puck.