How Does Satellite Mass Impact Velocity Change for Circular Orbit Achievement?

In summary: The angular momentum of the elliptical orbit is constant, but the angular momentum of the new orbit will have a new value. This translates into a difference in velocity at the apogee, given that the mass is a constant.
RiotRick

Homework Statement

Consider an elliptical orbit of a satellite (of mass m)
around the Earth (of mass M >> m). The perigee is at ##r_A## and the apogee at ##r_B##, as measured
from the centre of the Earth, itself located at one of the focal points of the ellipse (see Fig. 1).
We work in an Earth-centered inertial reference frame.
Planets.JPG

When at apogee, the satellite is given a kick to increase its speed, for instance by burning
fuel and ejecting propellant. Assuming that the kick is instantaneous, by how much should
its speed increase so that the satellite achieves a circular orbit at ##r_B##? Does that ##\Delta v## depend
on the satellite’s mass? Qualitatively (without making any precise calculations), does the
amount of fuel burned to achieve the ##\Delta v## depend on the mass? Justify your answer

Homework Equations

delta v from Hohmann transfer orbits

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a bit confused about the mass.
In the formula is no mass given, so it doesn't depend on "m" but I can't justify the answer. It doesn't make sense to me. If I change the orbit, I'll change the angular momentum. The conservation of angular momentum no longer holds. That means I have to apply torque. Torque is defined as ##r \times F## but F depends on "m". My technical intuition also tells me it should depend on "m".

Attachments

• Planets.JPG
    Planets.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 706
Physics news on Phys.org
Your intuition is wrong. As long as m << M the orbital parameters are all mass independent. This does not mean that you will need the same force/torque as that is mass dependent.

But at least the amount of fuel does depend on the mass or ist that also wrong?

RiotRick said:
But at least the amount of fuel does depend on the mass or ist that also wrong?
Yes, because it takes more energy to give a heavier object the same change in velocity.

Is my estimation for ##\Delta v## plausible? It already reaches the higher ##r_b## but can't stay on it and get pulled back to the lower ##r_A##. So to stay on the higher orbit in a circular orbit ##\Delta v## is around ## \sqrt(2*G*\frac{M}{r_B}) - \sqrt(2*G*\frac{M}{r_a})## from ##v=\sqrt(2*G*\frac{M}{r}##

It looks like you are trying to use the equation for escape velocity instead of that for orbital velocity. And even if you use orbital velocity, this will not give a good estimate.
As far as working with angular momentum is concerned: Yes, you are changing the orbit, so while the angular momentum for the elliptical orbit is constant, the new orbit will have a new angular momentum. If you consider what the angular momentum is in terms of rmv, what's the difference between the angular momentum of the old orbit vs. the new one and how does this translate into a difference of v at ra, given that m is a constant?

What is a Hohmann transfer orbit?

A Hohmann transfer orbit is a type of elliptical orbit used to transfer a spacecraft from one circular orbit to another. It is the most efficient way to transfer between two circular orbits with different radii.

How does a Hohmann transfer orbit work?

A Hohmann transfer orbit uses the gravitational pull of a planet or other celestial body to change the spacecraft's velocity and shift it into a different orbit. The spacecraft enters the transfer orbit at one point, known as the departure point, and then travels along the elliptical path until it reaches the destination point.

What are the advantages of using a Hohmann transfer orbit?

Hohmann transfer orbits require less fuel compared to other transfer methods, making them more cost-effective. They also allow for precise timing, as the transfer can be planned to occur when the destination planet is in the optimal position.

What are the limitations of a Hohmann transfer orbit?

A Hohmann transfer orbit can only be used to transfer between two circular orbits with different radii. It also requires precise timing and calculations, and any errors can result in the spacecraft missing its destination or using more fuel than planned.

What are some real-life applications of Hohmann transfer orbits?

Hohmann transfer orbits have been used in various space missions, such as the Voyager and Cassini missions to reach outer planets, and the Apollo missions to reach the Moon. They are also commonly used for satellite launches and to resupply the International Space Station.