What Are the Calculations for the Orbit of Vanguard 1 Satellite?

In summary, the conversation is about a question on an online quiz regarding the oldest artificial satellite still in orbit. The question asks for the total energy and angular momentum of the satellite in its initial orbit, as well as its speed and distance from the center of the Earth at apogee. The conversation also includes the student's attempt at solving the question and seeking confirmation of their answers.
Longee
So for an online quiz, I am stuck on this question:

The oldest artificial satellite still in orbit is Vanguard I, launched March 3, 1958. Its mass is 1.60 kg. Neglecting atmospheric drag, the satellite would still be in its initial orbit, with a minimum distance from the center of the Earth of 7.02 Mm and a speed at this perigee point of 8.23 km/s.

(a) For this orbit find the total energy of the satellite–Earth system.

(b) For this orbit find the magnitude of the angular momentum of the satellite.

(c) At apogee, find the satellite's speed and its distance from the center of the Earth. (c1) Distance from the center of the Earth

(d) Find the semimajor axis of its orbit (metres)

(e) Determine its period (minutes)

For A) I subtracted U by Ek and got an answer of -9.0788x10^19 J

For B) I got 9.244x10^-5 Kgm^2/s Are my answers correct so far? I only have one more try on the questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
We shouldn't be doing your quiz for you. So how can you become confident in your answers without having someone else tell you if you are right or not?
Well, you can check the consequences:
For (a), if I read you right, you are saying that the total energy is the potential energy less the kinetic energy: E=U-K
Would you expect the total energy to be conserved? So what would you expect to happen to the kinetic energy if the satellite were to move closer to the Earth (losing potential energy)? What does the above relation tell you?

For (b) I cannot tell because you have not shown your reasoning. However, you should be able to check by the same approach as for (a).

1. What is a satellite orbit?

A satellite orbit is the path that a satellite follows as it orbits around a larger body, such as a planet or moon. This path is determined by the satellite's speed and the gravitational pull of the larger body.

2. How many types of satellite orbits are there?

There are three main types of satellite orbits: low Earth orbit, medium Earth orbit, and geostationary orbit. Each type has its own benefits and uses.

3. How do satellites stay in orbit?

Satellites stay in orbit by balancing the centrifugal force created by their speed with the gravitational pull of the larger body they are orbiting. This creates a stable orbit that allows the satellite to continuously circle the larger body.

4. What is the purpose of satellite orbits?

Satellite orbits serve many purposes, including communication, navigation, weather monitoring, and scientific research. They allow satellites to gather data and transmit signals from space to Earth.

5. How do scientists calculate satellite orbits?

Scientists use mathematical equations and computer simulations to calculate satellite orbits. They take into account factors such as the mass and size of the larger body, the satellite's velocity, and atmospheric conditions to determine the most efficient and stable orbit for a satellite.