Particle falling inside a sphere due to gravity

In summary: Thank you! :)A bit of trivia: the period for your particle is the same as for a (theoretical) satellite orbiting the Earth at its surface.
Robin04

Homework Statement

We drill a hole from the surface of the Earth to the other side through the center, drop a test particle and measure the time it takes to come back. How does this time depend on the radius and density of the Earth?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The gravitation field inside a sphere is ##g=\frac{4\pi G\rho}{3}r##, where ##G## is the gravitational constant, ##\rho## is the density, ##r## is the distance from the center.
Now I have to find the function ##r(t)##. I already found ##v(r)=r\sqrt{4\pi G \rho}## (the initial velocity is zero). How can I bring time into the equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Robin04 said:

Homework Statement

We drill a hole from the surface of the Earth to the other side through the center, drop a test particle and measure the time it takes to come back. How does this time depend on the radius and density of the Earth?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The gravitation field inside a sphere is ##g=\frac{4\pi G\rho}{3}r##, where ##G## is the gravitational constant, ##\rho## is the density, ##r## is the distance from the center.
Now I have to find the function ##r(t)##. I already found ##v(r)=r\sqrt{4\pi G \rho}## (the initial velocity is zero). How can I bring time into the equation?

Since the motion is oscillatory motion, you can think a form of Second order DE, such that

$$d^2r/dt^2+ω^2r=0$$ where ##ω## will be the anguler frequency or ##w=2π/T##

Arman777 said:
Since the motion is oscillatory motion, you can think a form of Second order DE, such that

$$d^2r/dt^2+ω^2r=0$$ where ##ω## will be the anguler frequency or ##w=2π/T##
So I could say ##g+\omega^2r=0##, from which ##T=\sqrt{\frac{3\pi}{G\rho}}## Is this correct? It doesn't depend on the radius of the sphere.

Robin04 said:
So I could say ##g+\omega^2r=0##, from which ##T=\sqrt{\frac{3\pi}{G\rho}}## Is this correct? It doesn't depend on the radius of the sphere.
It's true yes. I don't think we can get the density and the radius in the same equation. For the radius dependence put the ##ρ## value in the equation that you find and you ll see that it depends also on radius in some other aspect.

Likes Robin04
Arman777 said:
It's true yes. I don't think we can get the density and the radius in the same equation. For the radius dependence put the ##ρ## value in the equation that you find and you ll see that it depends also on radius in some other aspect.
Thank you! :)

Likes Arman777
A bit of trivia: the period for your particle is the same as for a (theoretical) satellite orbiting the Earth at its surface.

Likes Robin04

1. What is the acceleration of a particle falling inside a sphere due to gravity?

The acceleration of a particle falling inside a sphere due to gravity can be calculated using the formula a = GM/r^2, where G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the sphere, and r is the distance between the center of the sphere and the particle.

2. How does the mass of the sphere affect the acceleration of the falling particle?

The mass of the sphere has a direct effect on the acceleration of the falling particle. The larger the mass of the sphere, the stronger the gravitational force and therefore the greater the acceleration of the particle.

3. Does the distance between the particle and the center of the sphere affect its acceleration?

Yes, the distance between the particle and the center of the sphere (r) is a crucial factor in determining the acceleration. As the particle gets closer to the center of the sphere, the acceleration increases due to the stronger gravitational force.

4. How does the acceleration change as the particle falls towards the center of the sphere?

The acceleration of the particle will increase as it falls towards the center of the sphere. This is due to the fact that the distance between the particle and the center of the sphere decreases, resulting in a stronger gravitational force.

5. Is the acceleration constant throughout the particle's fall towards the center of the sphere?

No, the acceleration is not constant throughout the particle's fall towards the center of the sphere. As the particle gets closer to the center, the acceleration will increase, but once it reaches the center, the acceleration will become zero as the gravitational force becomes balanced.