Hole where water cannot escape at certain pressure?

In summary: I don't understand what you want me to do with that.Can you please explain a little more?For the first question, the diameter of the hole doesn't really matter, it's the pressure that affects the rate of escape. For the second question, the pressure can get sufficiently large for very small holes.
j7on
Hi eveyrone!

I am completely new to this forum but didnt know where else to turn for a "problem" of mine..

I am trying to design a new kind of waterpump and still in the teory part of the design, i would be interested to know how i can calculate the "thickness" of water at a certain pressure?

How small must a hole be that water cannot escape at certain pressure?

Does it matter if it is a direct hole or a gap that is exactly as wide as the hole(do many same sized holes require the same amount of pressure as only one)?

How much does water temperature affect outcome?

Hard to explain, but then again, i am no physicist...;)

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand correctly, you are looking for a relation between water pressure and rate of escape through a fixed-diameter hole. Then, by decreasing the pressure, you want to reach a rate of escape that you can consider to be negligible. The pressure causing this threshold rate is your unknown.

By decreasing hole diameter, you will lower the rate, but not "prevent" it completely from escaping. Ultimately, water will evaporate a molecule at a time for as long as its dryer outside.

As for temperature, staying clear of the freezing level is probably your main concern for now.

Yes, i guess, i mean the problem is quite simple, i just don't know how to calculate it.

Imagine a syringe with a large needle hole, there is quite little pressure to apply to push water throught it, then, decrease the size of the hole until you reach your desired pressure but water is still not coming out(apply even more pressure and it will ofcourse).

I would just like to know how i can count how thick water is at some pressure.

Example: How small must a hole be that water cannot go throught it at a 10bar pressure(but will at more)?

Now, the second question, if the hole would be like 1/50th mm, will i have the same result if there is a 1/50th mm gap instead of hole or will water sip out before i reach 10bar?

Damn, the hardest thing is to explain(and English is not my first(or even second) language so.. bare with me)

j7on said:
Yes, i guess, i mean the problem is quite simple, i just don't know how to calculate it.

Imagine a syringe with a large needle hole, there is quite little pressure to apply to push water throught it, then, decrease the size of the hole until you reach your desired pressure but water is still not coming out(apply even more pressure and it will ofcourse).

I would just like to know how i can count how thick water is at some pressure.

Example: How small must a hole be that water cannot go throught it at a 10bar pressure(but will at more)?
Dr Lots o Watts (cool name) is correct: there is no such relationship. Water will come out of a syringe at any pressure, at a velocity determined by Bernoulli's equation.
Now, the second question, if the hole would be like 1/50th mm, will i have the same result if there is a 1/50th mm gap instead of hole or will water sip out before i reach 10bar?
Velocity is pressure dependent only. The area of the hole times the velocity gives you flow rate.

Sorry, guys - I got a spyware/malware attack that coincided with my posting in this thread and deleted it temporarily as a precaution...it looks ok, so I restored it.

At some point of diminishing hole diameter, it would seem that friction, viscosity and skin effect of the water would effective prevent low pressure flow (except for the evaporation effect), or reduced the flow to insignificant, depending on the definition of insigificant.

Is there a reason why a simple pressure valve would be undisirable?

Jeff Reid said:
At some point of diminishing hole diameter, it would seem that friction, viscosity and skin effect of the water would effective prevent low pressure flow (except for the evaporation effect), or reduced the flow to insignificant, depending on the definition of insigificant.
Surface tension will do it at very low pressure, sure... not sure if that's what the OP was going for, though.

As a compramise between the pricisely sized hole and the pressure valve, you could try a surface made fo rubber or some other very elastic material, riddled with holes that are hld closed by compression. At sufficient pressures, the water would force its way through the holes.

What limiting properties does an osmotic membrane and solution have that would cause water to travel one way?

This is actually how some pumps are designed, they use what is called a Labyrinth seal. I know that the shafts of nuclear reactor coolant pumps are designed this way (very large 2250 PSI >8000 HP pumps).

Well i was thinking of using a ceramic ball inside a ceramic tube(ceramic because it does not wear out and leaves no taste trace because there will be water inside).

Caeramic balls & tubes can be made with very small precision tolerances, a hydraulic shaft underneath would push the ball creating pressure on top where the water is, now is it even possible to make a clearance that is so small that water can reach temporary pressures(1 min. max.) of 10-20bars and still be able to move freely(return down with just gravity)?

?

It sounds like you are trying to make a positive displacement water pump, using a piston like a car engine. You might want to google some manufacturer web pages for similar pumps and see what seal designs they use.

Its just that, there isn't any, i am thinking if the gap between the ball & the tube be so small thus creating a natural seal for some time without the need for an actual seal.

Related to Hole where water cannot escape at certain pressure?

What is a "hole where water cannot escape at certain pressure"?

A "hole where water cannot escape at certain pressure" refers to a small opening or pore in a material that is designed to allow water to flow through it, but only at a specific pressure. This is often used in water filtration systems or in plumbing to regulate the flow of water.

How does a "hole where water cannot escape at certain pressure" work?

The hole is typically a very small size, and is usually surrounded by a material that is permeable to water. When water is forced through the hole at a certain pressure, it creates a seal that prevents water from escaping until the pressure is released.

What is the purpose of a "hole where water cannot escape at certain pressure"?

The purpose of this type of hole is to control the flow of water in a system. By regulating the pressure at which water can escape, it allows for more precise control over the amount and rate of water flowing through the system.

Can a "hole where water cannot escape at certain pressure" become clogged?

Yes, it is possible for these holes to become clogged, especially if the surrounding material is not properly maintained. This can lead to a decrease in water flow or even a complete blockage.

Are there any limitations to using a "hole where water cannot escape at certain pressure"?

One limitation is that these holes can only regulate water flow within a certain pressure range. If the pressure falls outside of this range, the seal may break and water could escape through the hole. Additionally, these holes may not be suitable for extremely high or low pressure systems.