Hollow sphere half submerged in a liquid, find density

In summary: Yes.Tension, weight, buoyant force, and the forceby the spring scale on the beaker so...N=W+W?N=W+W?Yes.
Taniaz

Homework Statement

A hollow sphere of inner radius 9.0 cm and outer radius 10.0 cm floats half submerged in a liquid of specific gravity 0.80. (a) Calculate the density of the material of which the sphere is made.
(b) What would be the density of a liquid in which the hollow sphere would just float completely submerged?

Density of liquid = 800 kg/m^3
Outer radius = 0.10 m ; inner radius = 0.09 m

2. Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Because it's half submerged so the volume would be:

V = (0.5) (4 pi / 3) * (outer radius^3 ) = 2.09 x 10^-3 m^3

The force on an object is equal to the weight of displaced fluid. If the sphere is half-submerged, we can find the displaced volume of fluid and then its weight.

so ρgV = mg which implies that ρV = m therefore

mass of the sphere = (800 kg/m^3)(2.09 x 10^-3 m^3)= 1.68 kg

Then V of the sphere, actually the volume of the mass in the sphere so now we take
(4 pi / 3) * (outer radius^3- inner radius^3 ) = (4 pi / 3) * (0.1^3 )-(0.09)^3) = 1.135 x 10^-3 m^3

ρ= 1.68 kg / 1.135 x 10^-3 m^3 = 1479 kg/m^3 ?

This is what I worked out but I'm a little unsure regarding the volumes I've taken?

For part b, I'd take the volume with just the outer radius then I'd use
ρgV=mg so ρV=m where V is the volume I just calculated and m is the mass of the sphere from the previous part and solve for ρ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Taniaz said:
ρ= 1.68 kg / 1.135 x 10^-3 m^3 = 1479 kg/m^3 ?

This is what I worked out but I'm a little unsure regarding the volumes I've taken?
Looks good to me.

ρgV=mg so ρV=m where V is the volume I just calculated and m is the mass of the sphere from the previous part and solve for ρ?
Yes.

Great thank you! Can I ask another question?
A tank containing water is placed on a spring scale, which registers a total weight W. A stone of weight W is hung from a string and lowered into the water without touching the sides or bottom of the tank. What will be the reading on the spring scale in terms of W and the buoyancy B?(Assume the buoyancy on the stone is B<W).

I didn't get what he meant by placed "on" a spring scale? Isn't a spring scale just a Newton meter so it's supposed to be hung from it? Secondly, do we consider tension of the string here? Doesn't say if it's massless or not? B= W of beaker and water + W of stone or will it be T + B = W+W and T= 2W-B which would be the reading on the spring scale? It doesn't work if they actually mean a kitchen scale :/

Taniaz said:
I didn't check your arithmetic, but your methods are correct.

Taniaz said:
Sure, but you should not have to do any real calculation. (By what factor does V increase?)

Edit: I see TSny beat me to it while I was getting coffee ;)

It increases by twice the amount! There's another question in post 3 if you're willing to try? :smile:

Taniaz said:
It increases by twice the amount!
Right! So how must the density change?

Half the amount since they're inversely proportional since the mass is constant

Taniaz said:
Half the amount since they're inversely proportional since the mass is constant
Good.

Taniaz said:
I didn't get what he meant by placed "on" a spring scale? Isn't a spring scale just a Newton meter so it's supposed to be hung from it?
There are several types of "spring scales". Just think of it as a kitchen scale.

Taniaz said:
Secondly, do we consider tension of the string here?
I would.

Analyze it similarly to the "block hanging from a cord" problem. Do a force analysis of the stone. And then a force analysis of the "system" (Beaker + Water + stone).

There's going to be Tension, the buoyant force and the weight on the stone so T + B = W
and on the beaker, water and stone there will be tension, weight, buoyant force, and the forceby the spring scale on the beaker so T+B+N=W+W?

Taniaz said:
There's going to be Tension, the buoyant force and the weight on the stone so T + B = W
Good.

Taniaz said:
and on the beaker, water and stone there will be tension, weight, buoyant force, and the forceby the spring scale on the beaker so T+B+N=W+W?
Not exactly. Realize that the buoyant force is the water pushing up on the stone, which will be balanced by the force of the stone pushing down on the water. (That's Newton's 3rd law.)

Just include external forces on the system in your analysis.

Ohh right, so it will just be T+N = W+W. We're looking to solve for N
Then if T+B=W so T=W-B then
(W-B) +N = 2W so
N = W + B?

Taniaz said:
Ohh right, so it will just be T+N = W+W. We're looking to solve for N
Then if T+B=W so T=W-B then
(W-B) +N = 2W so
N = W + B?
Looks good!

Now that should make some intuitive sense (after awhile). Before the stone was lowered into the water, the scale just read W. And when you lower the stone, the stone pushes down onto the water (and thus the scale) with a force equal to the buoyant force, thus increasing the scale reading by that much.

But it's better to systematically analyze things, as you did, rather than rely on intuition. (Until you've done hundreds of problems.)

Likes Vibhor
Yes that makes sense.
Thank you for your help! :)

1. What is a hollow sphere half submerged in a liquid?

A hollow sphere half submerged in a liquid refers to a spherical object that is partially immersed in a liquid, with one half of the sphere above the liquid's surface and the other half below it.

2. How do you calculate the density of a hollow sphere half submerged in a liquid?

The formula for calculating the density of a hollow sphere half submerged in a liquid is: density = (mass of the sphere / volume of the sphere) * (1 - (volume of the submerged portion / total volume of the sphere)). This takes into account the fact that the submerged portion of the sphere displaces a certain volume of liquid, which affects the overall density of the object.

3. What information do I need to know to find the density of a hollow sphere half submerged in a liquid?

You will need to know the mass of the sphere, the volume of the sphere, and the volume of the submerged portion of the sphere. These values can be measured or given to you in the problem.

4. Can the density of a hollow sphere half submerged in a liquid change?

Yes, the density of a hollow sphere half submerged in a liquid can change if any of the variables involved change. For example, if the mass or volume of the sphere changes, the density will also change. Similarly, if the amount of the sphere submerged in the liquid changes, the density will be affected.

5. What units are typically used for density of a hollow sphere half submerged in a liquid?

The density of a hollow sphere half submerged in a liquid is typically measured in units of mass per unit volume, such as kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3). However, any units of mass and volume can be used as long as they are consistent.