Holographic Display for See-Through Imaging: A Closer Look

• Calculators
  • Thread starter Adel Makram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Holographic
In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for a method to display see-through images of an object through an opaque surface. They are interested in using 3D tomographic information to create a holographic 3D view of the object, and are seeking suggestions for the best method to do so. They mention the possibility of using augmented reality through devices like the Hololens from Microsoft, but have questions about the software and code needed to make it work. The conversation also touches on the idea of developing an application for this purpose.
Adel Makram
I am looking for a method that displays a see-through images of an object through an arbitrarily non-transparent surface. Suppose I have already the 3D tomographic information of an object inside a closed box and I am interested to have a holographic 3D view of that object just by looking at the box, how can I do that? I know there are similar applications in the market but I am not sure which is the best in my case. Any suggestion?

Computer science news on Phys.org
You're looking for some kind of projection device that projects an image of what's inside an opaque box on to the surface of the box?

Or something that displays the opaque box on a monitor screen with the insides overlaid on the box image and rotatable on the screen?

jedishrfu said:
You're looking for some kind of projection device that projects an image of what's inside an opaque box on to the surface of the box?

Or something that displays the opaque box on a monitor screen with the insides overlaid on the box image and rotatable on the screen?
The first one. Either a projection on the surface of opaque container, not necessarily a uniform box, or even a holographic glass that I wear and see through.

jedishrfu said:
Okay so its augmented reality.

Software wise I know Unity can do overlays in games and I think they must have a way to augmented reality games although I've not researched it.

Here's some discussion of how folks are supporting augmented reality via Unity:

http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/15215/unity-3d-and-augmented-reality.html
Thank you but no much significant information in that page.
I came across "structure sensor 3D" from Apple and I though if it is possible to integrate the 3D location of the object into the outlay of the box so as to display it inside the box! This is different from the holographic principle. But in principle, is it possible to have access on the soft ware of the vendors in the market and write the program code to make it work for specific way ?

Adel Makram said:
I know there are similar applications in the market but I am not sure which is the best in my case.

Can you link to the existing products you have looked at and give an idea of what was good and what was bad about each?

BoB

rbelli1 said:
Can you link to the existing products you have looked at and give an idea of what was good and what was bad about each?

BoB
The Hololens from microsoft is good in displaying a holographic images with 3D augmented reality. In my case, there is an object inside an opaque box. Suppose I open the box and see the object by Hololens, then I close the box, will I then be able to use the glass to see the object through the box? And if there is a hole in the box, can I insert a small stick into the hole and still see the hidden part of the stick and its relation to the object by the glass?

In general, how to make a code of the project using the glass? I mean if I hire a software developer, can he do the job using just the glass? or does he need to contact microsft to have access for the outlay of the code, platform and so on? Hololens is just an example, but my concern applies to other vendors as well.

Adel Makram said:
The Hololens from microsoft is good in displaying a holographic images with 3D augmented reality. In my case, there is an object inside an opaque box. Suppose I open the box and see the object by Hololens, then I close the box, will I then be able to use the glass to see the object through the box? And if there is a hole in the box, can I insert a small stick into the hole and still see the hidden part of the stick and its relation to the object by the glass?

The options of how the Hololense augments your vision is entirely up to the programmer of the software. The ability to "see" into opaque enclosed spaces would be advantageous to surgeons for example. It would not be advantageous to a puzzle game where the hiding of information is part of the fun.

Adel Makram said:
In general, how to make a code of the project using the glass? I mean if I hire a software developer, can he do the job using just the glass? or does he need to contact Microsoft to have access for the outlay of the code, platform and so on? Hololens is just an example, but my concern applies to other vendors as well.

For a device such as this you will generally get the developer edition and that will come with the necessary software from the manufacturer. The cost of that beyond the standard version will vary by manufacturer. Starting from just the glasses and making something useful is still possible but there will be a significant amount of reverse engineering and driver and framework development. If your goal is to develop an application it is easiest to just use the manufacturer's tools.

Is there a reason you don't want to get the information from Microsoft?

BoB

Likes Adel Makram
rbelli1 said:
The options of how the Hololense augments your vision is entirely up to the programmer of the software. The ability to "see" into opaque enclosed spaces would be advantageous to surgeons for example. It would not be advantageous to a puzzle game where the hiding of information is part of the fun.
My project is close to that in the medical field. So how to start, from the glass or from the developer?

rbelli1 said:
For a device such as this you will generally get the developer edition and that will come with the necessary software from the manufacturer. The cost of that beyond the standard version will vary by manufacturer. Starting from just the glasses and making something useful is still possible but there will be a significant amount of reverse engineering and driver and framework development. If your goal is to develop an application it is easiest to just use the manufacturer's tools.

Is there a reason you don't want to get the information from Microsoft?

BoB
What is the meaning of "The developer edition? Will this come with the glass or should I ask for it from the company?

Adel Makram said:
Will this come with the glass or should I ask for it from the company?

Yes the glasses will come in the developer edition. I believe the Microsoft version only comes in developer right now.

Adel Makram said:
So how to start, from the glass or from the developer?

The only reason to bypass the manufacturer code is to either port the hardware to an unsupported platform or learn in intricate detail how the technology works.

Your goal is to write an application so I highly suggest you use the manufacurer tools.

BoB

rbelli1 said:
Yes the glasses will come in the developer edition. I believe the Microsoft version only comes in developer right now.
The only reason to bypass the manufacturer code is to either port the hardware to an unsupported platform or learn in intricate detail how the technology works.

Your goal is to write an application so I highly suggest you use the manufacurer tools.

BoB
Thank you but again how to start? Should I contact microsoft or to hire a developer?

Adel Makram said:
Thank you but again how to start? Should I contact microsoft or to hire a developer?

If you plan on doing the work yourself you should select a device and then purchase it. In the case of Microsoft you will want to buy it direct as the price is lower. Follow the instructions included to get registered. If support is not included then you will want to purchase that too.

If you plan on hiring someone to do the work I would hold off on choosing a device until you consult with your developer. After hiring them, do as the two (or more) of you decide is best.

The advice I have given is general advice for a development project. If you swap out a few words it would apply to any engineering endeavor. I have no specific knowledge on VR or AR tech.

BoB

Likes Adel Makram
rbelli1 said:
The advice I have given is general advice for a development project. If you swap out a few words it would apply to any engineering endeavor. I have no specific knowledge on VR or AR tech.
Just now I thought of alternative method for my project and I appreciate your advice. Instead of purchasing expensive glass and hiring developer, I just thought of a simple gyroscope sensor. This should work in the way that senses my hand movement when I hold a medical instrument. Just a technical question, will that sensor allow me to adjust it in a desired position? For example, suppose I need to maintain the instrument in the direction specified by ##\theta## and ##\psi## angles relative to particular frame of reference based on imaging like CT or MRI. Can the gyro-sensor allow me to adjust the instrument to that particular direction when I hold it?

Adel Makram said:
I am looking for a method that displays a see-through images of an object through an arbitrarily non-transparent surface.
This seems possible without goggles/glasses by combining the following two concepts, though actual implementation seems far out technologically.

1. What is a holographic see through?

A holographic see through is a technology that allows a user to view a three-dimensional image or object through a transparent medium, such as a glass or plastic sheet. This technology uses light diffraction and interference to create the illusion of a 3D image in space.

2. How does holographic see through work?

Holographic see through works by using a laser or other light source to create an interference pattern on a holographic film. When light passes through this pattern and is reflected off of an object, it creates a 3D image that appears to be floating in space. The transparency of the medium allows the user to see both the image and the background through it, creating the illusion of a hologram.

3. What are the applications of holographic see through technology?

Holographic see through technology has a wide range of applications, including in entertainment and gaming, medical imaging, security, and education. It can be used to create immersive 3D experiences, improve visualization in medical procedures, and enhance security measures by creating holographic identification cards or tickets.

4. Are there limitations to holographic see through technology?

While holographic see through technology has many potential applications, there are some limitations to its use. The size and complexity of current holographic displays limit their use to smaller objects, and the technology is still relatively expensive. Additionally, the quality of the image can be affected by external factors such as lighting and viewing angle.

5. What advancements are being made in holographic see through technology?

Researchers are constantly working to improve holographic see through technology, with the goal of creating larger and more complex holograms that are more affordable and have higher image quality. Some advancements include the use of new materials for holographic film, more powerful and compact lasers, and advancements in computer algorithms for creating holographic images. There is also ongoing research into using holographic technology for telepresence, allowing users to interact with a 3D image in real time from a remote location.