Holographic principle (I'm looking for a paper that I read)

In summary, the author says that information is not encoded on space time but on the boundaries of regions of space time. There are three parts to this boundary: a space like part, another for the "out" state, and between them a time like region. The author thinks that the dimension of these boundaries is the same as the dimension of the space they are in.
Heidi
I read a paper a long time ago. And i forgot who wrote it. The author said that information was not encoded on space time but on the boundaries of regions of space time.
there was 3 parts on this boundaries.
a space like part (for the initial conditions) . another one for the "out" state. between them a time like region.
i think that they had the same dimension (2 or 3)
have you an idea? maybe Rovelli?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
It was neither him nor Verlinde. I read in the wiki spin foam article that spin networks are boundaries of spin foams. (i was still thinking of Rovelli).

Heidi said:
I read a paper a long time ago. And i forgot who wrote it. The author said that information was not encoded on space time but on the boundaries of regions of space time.
there was 3 parts on this boundaries.
a space like part (for the initial conditions) . another one for the "out" state. between them a time like region.
i think that they had the same dimension (2 or 3)
have you an idea? maybe Rovelli?
Reminds me of Leonard Susskind.

The holographic principle is a tenet of string theories and a supposed property of quantum gravity that states that the description of a volume of space can be thought of as encoded on a lower-dimensional boundary to the region—such as a light-like boundary like a gravitational horizon. First proposed by Gerard 't Hooft, it was given a precise string-theory interpretation by Leonard Susskind,[1] who combined his ideas with previous ones of 't Hooft and Charles Thorn.

You are right but in the paper i read there was not one screen at infinity for the universe but many screens. one for each compact region.

I think it was an old (2008) article written by Oeckl. General boundary QFT.
I will download it .

Likes atyy
Does somebody read this article? I see how it is an extension of the standard quantum theory. But i do not see how to interpret the functions on a time like part of a boundary (the vertical region of the cylinder in the figure)

I see now. if take a 4 dimensional cylinder its boundary is 3 dimensional. it may be timelike:1 dimension for time and 2 for space (the screens)
they can wrap finite regions. It is the case with Verlinde screens.

1. What is the holographic principle?

The holographic principle is a theory in physics that states that the information contained within a region of space can be represented by the information on the boundary of that region. This means that a three-dimensional volume can be described by a two-dimensional surface, much like a hologram.

2. How does the holographic principle relate to black holes?

The holographic principle was first proposed as a way to resolve the black hole information paradox, which states that information that falls into a black hole is lost forever. The principle suggests that all the information about the objects that formed the black hole is actually contained on its event horizon, the boundary of the black hole's gravitational pull.

3. What evidence supports the holographic principle?

There is currently no direct evidence for the holographic principle, but it is supported by various theoretical arguments and calculations. For example, the principle is consistent with the laws of thermodynamics and has been shown to be mathematically equivalent to the theory of general relativity.

4. How does the holographic principle relate to string theory?

The holographic principle is closely related to string theory, a theoretical framework that attempts to reconcile quantum mechanics and general relativity. In string theory, the fundamental building blocks of the universe are one-dimensional strings, and the holographic principle suggests that the information contained within a region of space can be described by the vibrations of these strings on its boundary.

5. What are the implications of the holographic principle?

The holographic principle has far-reaching implications for our understanding of the universe. It suggests that the three-dimensional world we perceive may actually be a projection of information encoded on a two-dimensional surface. This has implications for our understanding of gravity, black holes, and the fundamental nature of reality.