What use is the AdS/CFT correspondence in a flat universe?

In summary, all the accounts which I have read (and which are accessible to my limited knowledge of General Relativity and its mathematics) on the holographic principle says vaguely that the AdS/CFT correspondence is very enlightening, but with the caveat that, well, we don't happen to live in an AdS space, but rather are apparently slowly approaching a deSitter space, but string theory does wonderful and unexpected things. I do not know whether this means that the techniques of the correspondence then is somehow applied to apply to our space, or perhaps to spacetime with the future being a boundary, or whether this is just optimism that a related topic will bear fruit sometime, or what?
nomadreid
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
In popular accounts, the holographic principle relies on having a boundary, which works fine for black holes, but if we are in a universe without spatial boundary, how does that help?
All the accounts which I have read (and which are accessible to my limited knowledge of General Relativity and its mathematics) on the holographic principle says vaguely that the AdS/CFT correspondence is very enlightening, but with the caveat that, well, we don't happen to live in an AdS space, but rather are apparently slowly approaching a deSitter space, but string theory does wonderful and unexpected things. I do not know whether this means that the techniques of the correspondence then is somehow applied to apply to our space, or perhaps to spacetime with the future being a boundary, or whether this is just optimism that a related topic will bear fruit sometime, or what?

Physics news on Phys.org
Moderator's note: Moved thread to the Beyond the Standard Model forum.

Likes nomadreid
Keep in mind we didn't even know the sign (or finiteness) of the cosmological constant for the first ~80 years of relativistic cosmology, which is to say that it takes very specific and precise experiments to even distinguish small positive/negative/zero cosmological constants from each other. If we consider some localized hypothetical quantum gravity experiment within some region with linear size ##R \ll |\Lambda|^{-1/2}##, it might be reasonable to assume that something we could predict from AdS/CFT with ##\Lambda < 0## would be effectively ##\Lambda## independent in the ##\Lambda \rightarrow 0## limit leading to predictions which do not depend on the sign of ##\Lambda## at all. After all, we do not expect a local experiment to depend so sensitively on the boundary conditions of our whole universe!

But in applications to cosmology (length scales comparable to ##|\Lambda|^{-1/2}##), then certainly you can object to how useful AdS/CFT predictions are to our universe.

Likes nomadreid
Thanks, king vitamin. Interesting considerations.

There are attempts to make AdS/CFT relevant to our universe. Here is a recent example.

https://arxiv.org/abs/1907.06667
Cosmology at the end of the world
Stefano Antonini, Brian Swingle
In the last two decades the Anti-de Sitter/Conformal Field Theory correspondence (AdS/CFT) has emerged as focal point of many research interests. In particular, it functions as a stepping stone to a still missing full quantum theory of gravity. In this context, a pivotal question is if and how cosmological physics can be studied using AdS/CFT. Motivated by string theory, braneworld cosmologies propose that our universe is a four-dimensional membrane embedded in a bulk five-dimensional AdS spacetime. We show how such a scenario can be microscopically realized in AdS/CFT using special field theory states dual to an "end-of-the-world brane" moving in a charged black hole spacetime. Observers on the brane experience cosmological physics and approximately four-dimensional gravity, at least locally in spacetime. This result opens a new path towards a description of quantum cosmology and the simulation of cosmology on quantum machines.

nomadreid said:
Summary:: In popular accounts, the holographic principle relies on having a boundary, which works fine for black holes, but if we are in a universe without spatial boundary, how does that help?

All the accounts which I have read (and which are accessible to my limited knowledge of General Relativity and its mathematics) on the holographic principle says vaguely that the AdS/CFT correspondence is very enlightening, but with the caveat that, well, we don't happen to live in an AdS space, but rather are apparently slowly approaching a deSitter space, but string theory does wonderful and unexpected things. I do not know whether this means that the techniques of the correspondence then is somehow applied to apply to our space, or perhaps to spacetime with the future being a boundary, or whether this is just optimism that a related topic will bear fruit sometime, or what?
In practical applications, AdS/CFT is not used to study gravity. It is used to study systems without gravity, such as a flat (3+1) dimensional world without a boundary. The idea is that our (3+1)-dimensional world (with gravity neglected) is mathematically related to a fictional (4+1) dimensional world with gravity, such that our flat (3+1) world is a boundary of the fictional (4+1) dimensional world. It then turns out that some strongly interacting systems in the real (3+1) world (e.g. high temperature superconductivity or quark-gluon plasma) can be more easily described by using the fictional (4+1) world. But it should be stressed that those (4+1) descriptions are approximate descriptions, not exact descriptions, of the original (3+1) system in the real world. Nevertheless, in some cases such an approximation turns out to work better than other known approximations.

Last edited:
Likes nomadreid
It produces a lot of citations.

• Haha
Likes Auto-Didact, MathematicalPhysicist and atyy
haushofer said:
It produces a lot of citations.
Does it refer to my post? If so, then I fully agree.

Demystifier said:
Does it refer to my post? If so, then I fully agree.
It was meant as an answer to the question in the opening post :P

Thanks, Demystifier. That helps.

Likes Demystifier
Super, Demystifier. I have downloaded it; it looks good. Thanks again.

Likes Demystifier
The string theory book (2nd edition) by Zwiebach also contains a very pedagogical intro to ads/cft.

I'ld say there are several ways in which AdS/CFT could be relevant. The first was mentioned already by @Demystifier : To study the dual field theory. Even if that requires conformal symmtery (which is not present in our (low energy?) theories), one might still consider our standard model as a perurbed conformal field theory.

The usual answer I read in introductions is usually this: As a starting point ("toy model") for later applications. There are already models out there that try to establish holography between a field theory and flat spacetime. Instead of the spatial boundary one conciders the null boundary at lightlike infinity.

Likes nomadreid and atyy

What is the AdS/CFT correspondence?

The AdS/CFT correspondence is a theoretical framework in theoretical physics that establishes a relationship between two seemingly different theories - Anti-de Sitter space (AdS) and Conformal Field Theory (CFT). It proposes that there is a duality between these two theories, meaning that they are equivalent and describe the same physical phenomena in different ways.

How does the AdS/CFT correspondence work?

The AdS/CFT correspondence suggests that a theory in a curved space (AdS) can be described by a theory in a flat space (CFT) and vice versa. This is possible because the two theories have the same symmetries and can be mapped onto each other. This duality allows for the study of difficult problems in one theory to be solved using simpler methods in the other theory.

What is the significance of the AdS/CFT correspondence in a flat universe?

The AdS/CFT correspondence is significant in a flat universe because it provides a way to study the dynamics of quantum gravity. In a flat universe, quantum gravity is difficult to study due to the complexities of the theory. However, using the AdS/CFT correspondence, researchers can study the same phenomena in a simpler theory (CFT) and gain insights into the behavior of quantum gravity in a flat universe.

What are the implications of the AdS/CFT correspondence in cosmology?

The AdS/CFT correspondence has implications in cosmology as it allows for the study of the early universe and the behavior of matter and energy in extreme conditions. This duality has been used to study the Big Bang and the formation of the universe, shedding light on the mysteries of the early universe that were previously difficult to understand.

What are some potential applications of the AdS/CFT correspondence in a flat universe?

The AdS/CFT correspondence has potential applications in various fields, including condensed matter physics, quantum gravity, and cosmology. It can be used to study phase transitions, quantum entanglement, and black hole physics in a flat universe. It also has implications for understanding the nature of space and time and the fundamental building blocks of the universe.