• Misc.
  • Thread starter gmax137
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diy
gmax137
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Anyone here built a seismograph? I think maybe @davenn has done this?

We have had quite a few small quakes (like 2.2 to 3.2) near my house recently and it got me wondering about a new project. Feasible? I found a couple sites online but the ones I looked at are pretty old. Looking for any advice. Thanks!

• Love
Likes davenn
Physics news on Phys.org
Lots of people have done this, and there are many designs. Personally, mine would include lasers and photodetectors. That seems much easier than the inductive pickup designs that are most common.

One big issue is that measuring earthquakes isn't always the same as measuring movement of your seismometer. Be prepared to dig and pour concrete too. The Ligo prototypes at Caltech were really good at detecting people walking in the hallways and traffic passing on California Ave.

Also collecting and dealing with the data stream would be a big issue for me, it's also a SW project.

Here is some stuff from @davenn.

• Informative
  • Love
Likes Wrichik Basu, DeBangis21, davenn and 3 others
gmax137 said:
Anyone here built a seismograph? I think maybe @davenn has done this?

We have had quite a few small quakes (like 2.2 to 3.2) near my house recently and it got me wondering about a new project. Feasible? I found a couple sites online but the ones I looked at are pretty old. Looking for any advice. Thanks!

Yes, there a few ways to do this ... but got local/regional events, geophones are the easiest way to go
on my site that @DaveE linked to ... thanks for the link to my site :smile: you will see both a 3 axis and a single geophone style. My geophyones will easily record a M2.0 out to around 120 km ... 70 miles.
They will also record the P waves of the big events out to 4 - 6000 km

For doing decent recordings of the moderate to big events at a long distance, then a more specific long period sensor is required. The common type if the "Lehman" seismometer as seen in the lower half of that linked page under the My First Lehman Construction

Any other Q's, feel free to ask :smile:

cheers
Dave

Last edited:
Likes DaveE, BillTre and berkeman
Thanks, @davenn ! I will spend some time looking at your site. I'm more interested in the events very local to my place.

As usual. Tom Waller's fabulous and, sadly, out of print, book Science Made Stupid, has the answer:

1698074460702.png

I remember people building these (well, real ones, not like Weller's) in junior high - the trick was getting a strip chart recorder. The suggestion of using a laser and some kind of photosensor is a good one. To minimize the effect of "swell party upstairs", I might build two and look for coincidences.

Oh, and gravity wave detectors can detect spider footsteps. (!)

You might also take a look at:
raspberryshake.org

A somewhat active group that uses siesometers based on geophones and the Raspberry PI development board.

Chers,
Tom

Likes gmax137
Been a while, but I think 'Scientific American' --Back when it was serious-- did a nice seismometer in 'Amateur Scientist' department. I got a compilation of their projects on CD--
Ah, you still can !! Google/Bing may find it $_10 cheaper than eg A*z*n...

Spectrum magazine (October issue?), published by IEEE (Institute of Electric and Electronic Engineers) published an article.

It is available on-line at: https://spectrum.ieee.org/diy-seismometer

Cheers,
Tom

Likes gmax137 and Nik_2213

1. What is a homebuilt seismograph?

A homebuilt seismograph is a device constructed by individuals or hobbyists to measure and record the vibrations and movements of the earth, typically caused by earthquakes. These devices are usually made using accessible materials and sensors that can detect ground motions and convert them into electrical signals, which are then recorded and analyzed.

2. How accurate are homebuilt seismographs compared to professional equipment?

While homebuilt seismographs can provide valuable data, they are generally less accurate than professional-grade seismographs. Professional devices are designed with higher sensitivity and more precise calibration, allowing them to detect smaller and more distant seismic events. However, DIY seismographs can still be quite effective for educational purposes or for detecting larger local earthquakes.

3. What are the key components needed to build a seismograph at home?

The essential components for a basic homebuilt seismograph include a sensor (such as a geophone or accelerometer), a data logger or an Arduino board for processing the signal, and a computer for data collection and analysis. Additionally, you'll need a stable platform to minimize non-seismic vibrations and some basic electronic components like resistors, capacitors, and possibly an amplifier, depending on your design.

4. Can a homebuilt seismograph detect all types of seismic waves?

Homebuilt seismographs can potentially detect both primary (P-waves) and secondary (S-waves) seismic waves, which are the faster and slower waves generated by earthquakes, respectively. However, their ability to accurately capture these waves depends on the sensitivity and calibration of the device. Typically, amateur seismographs are better at detecting local seismic events where the signal strength is stronger.

5. What are the educational benefits of building and using a homebuilt seismograph?

Building and using a homebuilt seismograph can provide numerous educational benefits. It helps individuals learn about electronics, data collection, and signal processing. Moreover, it offers practical insights into geophysics and earthquake science, promoting a deeper understanding of how seismic activities are monitored and studied. It also encourages critical thinking and problem-solving as builders refine their device to improve its sensitivity and accuracy.