Homework Help - Fluid Statics

clueless8
Homework Statement
I'm having trouble getting the correct answer on two problems within one and I don't know where I'm going wrong. I will go to my T.As during the week but I would rather finish my homework this weekend.

The question is If you were to dive down 12.5m below surface level, what is
1. The pressure due to water alone?
2.The total or absolute pressure at depth given atmospheric pressure = 1.01E5 N/m^2
Relevant Equations
P = hpg
Ptotal = Pgauge + Patm
For A) I used P = hpg (h=0.0125km, p=1000kg/m^3, and g= 9.8m/s^2) this gave me 122.5N/m^2
For B) I used Ptotal = Pgauge + Patm
= 1.01E5 + 122.5 = 101122.5 N/m^2

Physics news on Phys.org
clueless8 said:
Homework Statement: I'm having trouble getting the correct answer on two problems within one and I don't know where I'm going wrong. I will go to my T.As during the week but I would rather finish my homework this weekend.

The question is If you were to dive down 12.5m below surface level, what is
1. The pressure due to water alone?
2.The total or absolute pressure at depth given atmospheric pressure = 1.01E5 N/m^2
Relevant Equations: P = hpg
Ptotal = Pgauge + Patm

For A) I used P = hpg (h=0.0125km, p=1000kg/m^3, and g= 9.8m/s^2) this gave me 122.5N/m^2
For B) I used Ptotal = Pgauge + Patm
= 1.01E5 + 122.5 = 101122.5 N/m^2
Why did you convert to km?

Likes MatinSAR
Welcome!

1 Pascal = Force of 1 Newton per square meter
Atmospheric pressure at sea level = 101,325 Pascals = 760 mm Hg = 760 torr = 14.7 psi = 1 atm

Likes clueless8
Lnewqban said:
Welcome!

1 Pascal = Force of 1 Newton per square meter
Atmospheric pressure at sea level = 101,325 Pascals = 760 mm Hg = 760 torr = 14.7 psi = 1 atm
The valuel of atmospheric pressure to use is given.

Likes clueless8
clueless8 said:
Check your units!

Likes clueless8 and MatinSAR
haruspex said:
Why did you convert to km?
I have trouble in this area, I assumed I had to due because the final answer asks for N/m^2 so I thought it had to be in km due to SI units , should I stick with 12.5m ?

clueless8 said:
I have trouble in this area, I assumed I had to due because the final answer asks for N/m^2 so I thought it had to be in km due to SI units , should I stick with 12.5m ?
The SI base unit of length is 1 m, not 1 km. The derived unit of newton is 1 N = 1 kg m/s2, not a km to be seen anywhere. The only ”k” in there is in kg, the SI base unit for mass.

1. How can I calculate the pressure at a certain depth in a fluid?

To calculate the pressure at a certain depth in a fluid, you can use the equation P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the depth of the fluid.

2. What is the difference between absolute pressure and gauge pressure in fluid statics?

Absolute pressure is the total pressure exerted by a fluid, including atmospheric pressure, while gauge pressure is the pressure measured relative to atmospheric pressure. Absolute pressure is always positive, while gauge pressure can be positive or negative.

3. How does the shape of a container affect the pressure at the bottom of the fluid?

The shape of a container does not affect the pressure at the bottom of the fluid. The pressure at the bottom of a fluid only depends on the depth and density of the fluid, as well as the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is Pascal's principle and how does it apply to fluid statics?

Pascal's principle states that a change in pressure applied to an enclosed fluid is transmitted undiminished to all portions of the fluid and to the walls of its container. This principle is used in hydraulic systems to amplify force.

5. How can I determine the buoyant force acting on an object submerged in a fluid?

To determine the buoyant force acting on an object submerged in a fluid, you can use the equation Fb = ρVg, where Fb is the buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the displaced fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.