Homework help -- magnetic field from a wire causing compass deflection....

In summary, the problem involves calculating the angle of deflection of a compass needle placed 5cm north of a vertical wire with a current of 2A, in the presence of a horizontal Earth magnetic field of 2x10^-5T. Using the equations B=uI/2piR and F=BILsinx, the attempt at a solution involved trying to solve for the distance R using B=uI/2piR and for the angle using F=BILsinx. However, the correct approach is to add the B-field vectors from the wire and the Earth vectorially, which will result in a new resultant B-field that causes the compass needle to deflect. A diagram should be used to help visualize
Shozaba

Homework Statement

A current 2A flows in a wire. Value of horizontal component of Earth magnetic field in the region is 2x10^-5T. Small compass placed 5cm due north of the wire. Calculate the angle through which the needle deflects due to the current flowing in the wire. Assume u0= 4pi x 10^-7 Hm^-1

Homework Equations

B=uI/2piR
F=BILsinx
Pythagoras a2+b2=c2

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried B=uI/2piR -> 2x10^-5=u2/2pi(0.05)
But that didn't make sense so I tried to solve for R instead and got R equal to 0.02 but didn't know what to do with R.
Then I tried using F=BILsinx and assumed sinx=90 assuming it was perpendicular but the question wants the angle through so I don't think F=BILsinx is relevant?

Please help thanks

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Shozaba said:

Homework Statement

A current 2A flows in a wire. Value of horizontal component of Earth magnetic field in the region is 2x10^-5T. Small compass placed 5cm due north of the wire. Calculate the angle through which the needle deflects due to the current flowing in the wire. Assume u0= 4pi x 10^-7 Hm^-1

Homework Equations

B=uI/2piR
F=BILsinx
Pythagoras a2+b2=c2

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried B=uI/2piR -> 2x10^-5=u2/2pi(0.05)
But that didn't make sense so I tried to solve for R instead and got R equal to 0.02 but didn't know what to do with R.
Then I tried using F=BILsinx and assumed sinx=90 assuming it was perpendicular but the question wants the angle through so I don't think F=BILsinx is relevant?

Please help thanks
Welcome to the PF.

It will help you to make a drawing of the setup. Have the wire coming out of the page toward you, with the current coming up at you. So the B-field circulates counter-clockwise around the wire, right? (by the Right Hand Rule).

Draw a vertical axis and a horizontal axis on your figure -- the vertical axis points up toward north, and the horizontal axis points to the right towards the east. The wire is coming up at you from the origin of those x-y axes.

Draw where the compass is. When there is no current in the wire, you are given what the Earth's B-field is, and it makes the compass point due north (at least in this simple problem). When the current is switched on, the B-fields from the Earth and from the wire add up vectorially, giving a new resultant B-field vector at the compass. This causes the compass needle to deflect one way or the other. Your task is to add up those two B-fields to see what how much the resultant B-field vector rotates compared to true north.

Have at it! :smile:

hi thanks for that i tried it and i added the two B-field vectors together, i just want to know what do i do with this and if my sketch is correct
thanks again
i got B-field for the wire= 2.55x10^-6= u0(2)/2pi(0.05)
added both B-fields together= 5.1x10^-11T

Attachments

• File_000.jpeg
    File_000.jpeg
    18 KB · Views: 777
Shozaba said:
earth magnetic field in the region is 2x10^-5T
Shozaba said:
i got B-field for the wire= 2.55x10^-6
How did you add those and get:
Shozaba said:
added both B-fields together= 5.1x10^-11T
Also, you need to add them vectorially. They do not point in the same direction...

As a tip, you might re-draw the diagram to more closely match what I suggested. It should be orthogonal x and y axes, with the wire coming out of the page vertically at the origin. Then the compass sits some distance up the y-axis, as described in the problem statement.

sorry i forgot to mention the wire is vertical, also this isn't homework its a question from a past paper. my physics tutor is stumped on it, he said that you if you add them vectorially then the B-fields move in the same direction. I am really finding this hard its only the second question in the paper. thanks

1. How does a wire create a magnetic field that causes a compass to deflect?

A wire carrying an electric current produces a magnetic field around it. The direction of this magnetic field is determined by the right-hand rule, where if you wrap your right hand around the wire with your thumb pointing in the direction of the current, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field. This magnetic field interacts with the compass needle, causing it to deflect and align with the direction of the field.

2. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field produced by a wire?

The strength of the magnetic field produced by a wire depends on the current flowing through the wire, the distance from the wire, and the material of the wire. Increasing the current or decreasing the distance from the wire will result in a stronger magnetic field. Additionally, using a material with high electrical conductivity, such as copper, will also result in a stronger magnetic field.

3. Can the direction of the magnetic field from a wire be changed?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field from a wire can be changed by reversing the direction of the current. This will cause the magnetic field to also reverse direction, resulting in the compass needle deflecting in the opposite direction.

4. How does the strength of the magnetic field change with distance from the wire?

The strength of the magnetic field follows an inverse square law, meaning that as the distance from the wire increases, the magnetic field strength decreases by the square of the distance. This means that the magnetic field is strongest closest to the wire and gets weaker as you move further away.

5. Can multiple wires carrying current create a stronger magnetic field?

Yes, multiple wires carrying current in the same direction will create a stronger magnetic field than a single wire. This is because the magnetic fields produced by each wire will add together, resulting in a stronger overall field. However, if the wires are carrying current in opposite directions, the magnetic fields will cancel each other out, resulting in a weaker overall field.