Homework Question - Beta and Alpha decay

In summary, the conversation is about a student who has just signed up and is preparing for their AS Level exams. They ask for help with a question involving a radioactive isotope of bismuth undergoing beta and alpha decay. Multiple users provide feedback and the student clarifies their reasoning. The expert summarizer notes that the conversation involves discussing the correct way to write nuclear reactions and the importance of using the correct symbols.
LotusTK
Hi, i am new here. Thought it would be good to sign up as i have just started hitting the books in preparation for my AS Level exams. So this is my first question.

I think i may have done this question correctly, but i was just seeing what other people think as i am not 100% sure about it.

Question:

A nucleus of the radioactive isotope of bismuth Bi (213) and (83) emits a beta particle, then an alpha particle, then another beta particle before it becomes stable.

a) Show that the stable nucleus formed is a Bismuth isotope

My Attempt at it

Bi (213) (83) → Bi (213) (84) I have added one to the proton number, because in beta decay, a neutron turns into a proton, so the nucleon number remains the same, but the proton number goes up by 1.

Then for Alpha, it becomes Bi (209) (82). I have taken 4 from the nucleon number and 2 from the proton number because an alpha particle consists of 2 protons and 2 neutrons.

Then after the second beta decay i ended up with Bi (209) (83).

Is this correct?

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good, but I'm not sure whether they're expecting you to write step by step proper nuclear reactions (including the electrons and antineutrinos and the alpha particles ).

I agree with the numbers, but the symbols of the intermediate nuclei are not "Bi".

Thanks for the replies.

Curious3141, i don't think you do have to, but i know how to if i were to be asked in an exam. Just write B (0) (-1) add the anti neutrino (the v with the line above it) to the beta decay, and fore alpha, write the alpha symbol with (4) (2).

mfb, I just used "Bi" as that was the element quoted in the question. I know that the elements that are formed inbetween are not "Bi".

Expect me to ask more questions later on, as i will be starting to revise Leptons and all of that stuff that I am really weak with. :D

LotusTK said:
Thanks for the replies.

Curious3141, i don't think you do have to, but i know how to if i were to be asked in an exam. Just write B (0) (-1) add the anti neutrino (the v with the line above it) to the beta decay, and fore alpha, write the alpha symbol with (4) (2).

mfb, I just used "Bi" as that was the element quoted in the question. I know that the elements that are formed inbetween are not "Bi".

Expect me to ask more questions later on, as i will be starting to revise Leptons and all of that stuff that I am really weak with. :D

No, but mfb is right - in writing that way, it's wrong. It's OK to omit the symbol entirely (if you're just writing informally), but to actually put "Bi" there is wrong.

The proton number?

LotusTK said:
The proton number?

Steamking's post (that you're replying to) has vanished. But you're correct. I prefer to refer to it as the atomic number, because that's a good reminder that this is the number that determines what atom it is.

1. What is the difference between beta and alpha decay?

Beta decay is the process in which an unstable atom emits a high-energy electron or positron from its nucleus, resulting in a change in its atomic number. Alpha decay, on the other hand, is the emission of an alpha particle (two protons and two neutrons) from the nucleus of an atom, resulting in a decrease in its atomic number by 2.

2. How do beta and alpha decay occur?

Beta decay occurs when an unstable atom has too many neutrons in its nucleus, causing one of the neutrons to convert into a proton and electron. The electron is then emitted from the nucleus, along with a type of radiation called a neutrino. Alpha decay occurs when an unstable atom has too many protons in its nucleus, causing it to release an alpha particle to become more stable.

3. Is beta or alpha decay more dangerous?

Alpha decay is generally considered more dangerous than beta decay because alpha particles have a larger mass and can cause more damage to living cells. However, beta particles can travel further and penetrate deeper into the body, making them potentially more harmful in certain situations.

4. How are beta and alpha decay used in science and industry?

Beta and alpha decay are used in a variety of scientific and industrial applications. For example, beta decay is used in medical imaging techniques like positron emission tomography (PET) scans, while alpha decay is used in smoke detectors and nuclear power plants to generate electricity.

5. Can beta and alpha decay be controlled or stopped?

Beta and alpha decay are natural processes that cannot be controlled or stopped. However, the effects of these decays can be mitigated by proper shielding and safety measures. For example, in nuclear power plants, thick concrete walls are used to contain the alpha and beta particles emitted during decay.