Homework questions dealing with tangent planes and normal vector

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the equations of the tangent plane and normal line for a given surface at a given point. The first question involved finding the equations for a logarithmic function, while the second question involved finding the points on a hyperboloid at which the tangent plane is parallel to a specific plane. The conversation also touched on finding unit normals and tangent vectors for a surface. The individual asking for help was unsure of their answers and sought clarification.
hwill205
Hello All,

I need help in my Calc 3 class and I decided to come here for homework help. What I'm looking for is someone to just check my work for a couple of homework problems. I've already done the problems, I would just like my work checked. Anyone who helps, your kindness is greatly appreciated.

Question 1:

Find the equations of the tangent plane and normal line to the given surface at the given point.

z=Log2 (x(y^2)+(x^2)y). So the base of the logarithm function is 2. The point is (1,-2,1)

I rewrote the function as ln(x(y^2) + (x^2)y))/ln(2)

The derivative with respect to x is (y+2x)/((ln2)(xy+x^2))

The derivative with respect to y is (x+2y)/((ln2)(xy+y^2))

The derivative with respect to z is just -1

When you plug in the point (1,-2,1), you get fx=0, fy= -3/((ln2)(2)) and fz=-1

So the equation of the tangent plan is fy(y+2)-(z-1)=0 (it was just easier to use fy instead of the whole expression).

The equation of the normal line is (y+2)/fy=(z-1)/-1, x=1

This is the symmetric equation.

For the second question:

Find the points on the hyperboloid x^2-2y^2-z^2=-2 at which the tangent plane is parallel to the plane 2x-3y+2z+7=0

F(x,y,z)= x^2-2y^2-z^2

The gradient vector for F(x,y,z) is a normal vector for the surface and thus, a normal vector for the tangent plane and for the parallel plane. The gradient vector is:

<2x,-4y,-2z>

so <2x,-4y,-2z>=k<2,-3,3> since <2,-3,3> is a normal vector for the parallel plane.

2x=2k, x=k
-4y=-3k, y=(3/4)k
-2z=2k, z=-k

Plug these values for x,y,z back into the equation for the hyperboloid:

k^2-2((3/4)k)^2-(-k)^2=-2

k^2-(9/8)k^2-k^2=-2

-(9/8)k^2=-2
k=(4/3)

x=4/3
y=1
z=-4/3

The point is (4/3, 1, -4/3)

Can someone tell me here I'm going wrong. I don't think either of these answers are right. Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
To find a unit normal to the surface [tex]z=\varphi (x,y)[/tex], you define the following:

[tex]
\phi =z-\varphi (x,y)
[/tex]

Then the normal is given by:

[tex]
\hat{\mathbf{n}}=\frac{\nabla\phi}{|\nabla\phi |}
[/tex]

It will be easy to compute tangent vectors from this by just looking for 2 linearly independent orthoganal vectors to the normal, the tangent plane at point [tex]\mathbf{r}_{0}[/tex] is given by:

[tex]
(\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r}_{0})\cdot\hat{\mathbf{n}}=0
[/tex]

More simply, two tangent vectors to the surface [itex]z= \phi(x,y)[/itex] are
[itex]\vec{i}+ \phi_x\vec{k}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{j}+ \phi_y\vec{k}[/itex].

So where is my answer wrong for the first question? I'm still confused...

Related to Homework questions dealing with tangent planes and normal vector

1. What is a tangent plane?

A tangent plane is a flat surface that touches a given curve or surface at a specific point. It is perpendicular to the normal vector at that point and represents the best linear approximation to the curve or surface at that point.

2. How do I find the equation of a tangent plane to a surface?

To find the equation of a tangent plane, you need to first determine the normal vector at the point of interest. Then, use the point-normal form of the equation of a plane, which is (x-x0, y-y0, z-z0) · n = 0, where (x0, y0, z0) is the point of interest and n is the normal vector. Plug in the values and simplify to get the equation of the tangent plane.

3. What is a normal vector?

A normal vector is a vector that is perpendicular to a given surface or curve at a specific point. It is used to determine the slope or direction of the surface or curve at that point, and is essential in finding the equation of a tangent plane.

4. How do I calculate the normal vector to a surface?

To calculate the normal vector to a surface, you can use the gradient vector. The gradient vector is a vector whose components are the partial derivatives of the surface function. So, for a surface z = f(x,y), the gradient vector is given by . At a specific point (x0, y0), the normal vector is then .

5. What are some real-world applications of tangent planes and normal vectors?

Tangent planes and normal vectors have various applications in fields like engineering, physics, and computer graphics. They are used to model and analyze the surfaces of objects, such as in aerodynamics and structural design. They are also used in computer graphics to create realistic 3D models and animations. In physics, tangent planes and normal vectors are essential in understanding the behavior and movement of objects in space and on curved surfaces.