Homoclinic bifurcation -- Saddle-saddle connection, separatrix

In summary, you are working on finding the value of the parameter A at which the homoclinic bifurcation occurs, the separatrices of the system, and the first integral and saddle-saddle connection equation. You are using numerical methods and the method of separation of variables to solve these problems.
Deimantas

Homework Statement

The equation:
eq.png

where A is the parameter.
1) Find the value of parameter A at which the homoclinic bifurcation occurs.
2)Find the separatrices
3)Calculate the first integral and find the saddle-saddle connection equation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First order system:
eq2.png

There are two saddles at (-1,0), (1,0) and a spiral at (0,0). When parameter A is decreased below 0, a stable limit cycle occurs. The limit cycle ceases to exist at approx. A=-0.34. The analytical result turns out to be A=-12/35.

However, I'm having trouble finding the separatrices. I'm using forward and backward integration to plot many of the solutions in MATLAB and it is possible to notice where the separatrix should be, but I don't know how to plot the exact separatrix. Still working on that.

Lastly, I tried computing the first integral of the system by dividing (dx/dt) / (dy/dt). After integrating and substituting the saddle values into the equation, I get that the constant of integration equals (-1/4). I then insert this value of the constant into the equation and get this equation:
eq3.png

which I'm pretty sure is wrong. Since saddle connecton should happen at around A=-(12/35), I insert this value, but the graphical plot looks like nonsense to me.

I kindly await any help with questions 2) and 3). Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
for reading and I hope we can figure this out together.
Thank you for your question! It seems like you are on the right track with your analysis. Here are some suggestions for finding the separatrices and calculating the first integral:

2) To find the separatrices, you can use the fact that they correspond to the solutions of the system that tend to the saddle points at (-1,0) and (1,0). This means that the separatrices will be the curves that pass through these two points. You can use the initial conditions x(-1,0)=(-1,0) and x(1,0)=(1,0) to numerically solve the system and plot the separatrices.

3) To calculate the first integral, you can use the method of separation of variables. This involves separating the variables x and y on opposite sides of the equation and then integrating both sides. This should give you an equation of the form F(x,y)=constant, where F is a function of x and y. To find the saddle-saddle connection equation, you can substitute the values of the saddle points (-1,0) and (1,0) into this equation and solve for the constant. This should give you the equation of the separatrix connecting the two saddle points.

I hope this helps and good luck with your analysis! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a homoclinic bifurcation?

A homoclinic bifurcation is a type of bifurcation in dynamical systems where a stable equilibrium point or limit cycle collides with an unstable equilibrium point or limit cycle. This results in the creation of a homoclinic orbit, which is a trajectory that connects the two equilibrium points or limit cycles.

2. What is a saddle-saddle connection?

A saddle-saddle connection is a type of homoclinic orbit that connects two saddle points in a dynamical system. It is called a "saddle-saddle" connection because the two saddle points have opposite eigenvalues, one positive and one negative.

3. What is a separatrix?

A separatrix is a curve that divides the phase space of a dynamical system into two regions, one containing trajectories that tend towards a stable equilibrium point or limit cycle, and the other containing trajectories that tend away from that point or cycle. In the case of a homoclinic bifurcation, the separatrix connects the saddle points that are involved in the bifurcation.

4. How does a homoclinic bifurcation affect the stability of a system?

A homoclinic bifurcation can lead to the creation of a chaotic behavior in a dynamical system. This is because the homoclinic orbit creates a connection between the stable and unstable regions of the phase space, allowing the system to switch between the two regions and exhibit unpredictable behavior.

5. Can homoclinic bifurcations occur in real-world systems?

Yes, homoclinic bifurcations have been observed in many real-world systems, such as chemical reactions, biological systems, and climate models. They are important in understanding the behavior and stability of these systems and have practical applications in fields such as engineering and medicine.