Homology Groups of the 2D Torus

In summary, Theorem 6.2 on page 35 of James Munkres' book, Elements of Algebraic Topology, concerns the homology groups of the 2-dimensional torus. Munkres shows that H_1 (T) \simeq \mathbb{Z} \oplus \mathbb{Z} and H_2 (T) \simeq \mathbb{Z}. The proof for H_2 (T) \simeq \mathbb{Z} involves showing that any 2-cycle of T must be of the form p\gamma for some p, which is done by showing that the boundary of the 2-cycle is carried by the 2-dimensional tor
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading James Munkres' book, Elements of Algebraic Topology.

Theorem 6.2 on page 35 concerns the homology groups of the 2-dimensional torus.

Munkres shows that [itex] H_1 (T) \simeq \mathbb{Z} \oplus \mathbb{Z} [/itex] and [itex] H_2 (T) \simeq \mathbb{Z} [/itex].

After some work I now (just!) follow the proof that [itex] H_1 (T) \simeq \mathbb{Z} \oplus \mathbb{Z} [/itex] but I need some help to understand a point in the proof of [itex] H_2 (T) \simeq \mathbb{Z} [/itex].

Munkres' argument to show [itex] H_2 (T) \simeq \mathbb{Z} [/itex] is as follows:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To compute [itex] H_2 (T) [/itex], note that by (2) any 2-cycle d of T must be of the form [itex] p \gamma [/itex] for some p. Each such 2-chain is in fact a cycle,by (4) , and there are no 3-chains for it to bound. We conclude that

[itex] H_2 (T) \simeq \mathbb{Z} [/itex]

and this group has as generator the 2-cycle [itex] \gamma [/itex].

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not fully understand why any 2-cycle d of T must be of the form [TEX] p \gamma [/TEX] for some p.

Can someone please explain exactly why this follows?

Would appreciate some help.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To give members of the Physics Forums the context of the post above, the text of Theorem 6.2 and its proof follow:

attachment.php?attachmentid=68801&stc=1&d=1397891920.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=68802&stc=1&d=1397891920.jpg

Some of my thoughts ... ...

Basically, to show that any 2-cyclce of L (i.e. T) os of the form \(\displaystyle p \gamma \), we have to show the following:

If [itex] d = \sum_i n_i \sigma_i [/itex] where [itex] \partial d = 0 [/itex] then [itex] d = p \gamma [/itex].

We have, of course that [itex] \gamma = \sum_i \sigma_i [/itex]

Note that we have that if d is a 2-chain of L and if [itex] \partial d [/itex] is carried by A then d is a multiple of [itex] \gamma [/itex].

Munkres defines 'carried by' in the following text taken from page 31:

attachment.php?attachmentid=68805&stc=1&d=1397894545.jpg

Hope someone can help.

Peter

Attachments

• Theorem 6.2 - Part 1 - Page 35 - Munkres - Elements of Algebraic Topology.jpg
    Theorem 6.2 - Part 1 - Page 35 - Munkres - Elements of Algebraic Topology.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 719
  • Theorem 6.2 - Part 2 - Page 35 - Munkres - Elements of Algebraic Topology.jpg
    Theorem 6.2 - Part 2 - Page 35 - Munkres - Elements of Algebraic Topology.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 674
  • Definition of Carried By and Homologous - Munkres page 31 - Elements of Algebraic Topology.jpg
    Definition of Carried By and Homologous - Munkres page 31 - Elements of Algebraic Topology.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 638
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Take a ##2##-cycle ##d##. Then obviously ##d## is a ##2##-chain. And also by definition of ##2##-cycle, we have ##\partial d = 0##. In particular, ##\partial d## is carried by ##L##. Thus ##(2)## implies that ##d## is a multiple of ##\gamma##, which means by definition that ##d=p\gamma## for some ##p##.

Likes 1 person
Thanks micromass ...

OK so we take a 2-cycle d ... but how do we know that an arbitrary 2-cycle is carried by L?

BTW ...Do you mean carried by L or A? If as I suspect you mean A ... then ... how do we know that an arbitrary cycle is carried by A ... this is exactly my problem ...

Again, thanks for you prompt help

Peter

Math Amateur said:
Thanks micromass ...

OK so we take a 2-cycle d ... but how do we know that an arbitrary 2-cycle is carried by L?

BTW ...Do you mean carried by L or A? If as I suspect you mean A ... then ... how do we know that an arbitrary cycle is carried by A ... this is exactly my problem ...

Again, thanks for you prompt help

Peter

I meant ##A##. And we don't need to show that an arbitrary cycle is carried by ##A## (I doubt it's even true). To apply ##(2)##, we need to show that for any cycle ##d##, we have that ##\partial d## is carried by ##A##. This is what we need to show. But ##\partial d = 0## by definition of a cycle. And of course ##0## is carried by ##A##.

Likes 1 person
Thanks so much ... that clears up that matter and gives me the confidence to go on ...

Thanks again,

Peter

Related to Homology Groups of the 2D Torus

1. What are homology groups of the 2D torus?

The homology groups of the 2D torus are a mathematical tool used to study the topological structure of the 2D torus. They are a set of algebraic invariants that can tell us about the number of holes and their dimensions in the torus.

2. How are homology groups calculated?

Homology groups are calculated using the theory of algebraic topology. This involves breaking down the space into smaller pieces and then analyzing how these pieces are connected to each other. The homology groups are then determined by looking at the properties and relationships of these pieces.

3. What is the significance of homology groups in studying the 2D torus?

Homology groups provide a way to classify and distinguish different topological spaces. In the case of the 2D torus, they can tell us about the number of holes and their dimensions, which can provide insight into the shape and structure of the torus.

4. How do homology groups differ from homotopy groups?

While both homology groups and homotopy groups are algebraic invariants used in topology, they have different purposes. Homology groups tell us about the holes and their dimensions in a space, while homotopy groups tell us about the presence of higher-dimensional structures within a space.

5. Can homology groups be applied to other shapes or dimensions?

Yes, homology groups can be applied to any topological space, regardless of its shape or dimension. They can also be extended to other mathematical concepts, such as simplicial complexes, which allows for the study of more complex structures.