Homomorphisms and radical

In summary: Thanks for this. Although I an now a little confused as to why we wanted to find the numbers for $f(M_1)$ and so on. How does knowing this enable us to find the scalar homomorphisms?Knowing the values of $f(M_1)$ and $f(M_3)$ narrows down the possible homomorphisms, as shown in my previous explanation. It eliminates any potential homomorphisms that do not satisfy those conditions. From there, we can use the fact that the homomorphism must preserve multiplication and inverses to determine the specific maps that satisfy the given conditions.
Cairo
Let M be the set of 2x2 matrices defined by

M = {a b
0 d}

where a, b and d are complex.

I've found a basis for M but need to know how to find the set of scalar homomorphisms of M from these.

I have the basis as

M_1 = {1 0
0 1}

M_2 = {0 1
0 0}

and

M_3 = {0 0
0 1}

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
A more natural basis is $B_M=\{A_1,A_2,A_3\}$ with

$A_1=\begin{bmatrix}{1}&{0}\\{0}&{0}\end{bmatrix}$, $A_2=\begin{bmatrix}{0}&{1}\\{0}&{0}\end{bmatrix}$, $A_3=\begin{bmatrix}{0}&{0}\\{0}&{1}\end{bmatrix}$

The coordinates of $A=\begin{bmatrix}{a}&{b}\\{0}&{d}\end{bmatrix}$ with respect to $B_M$ are $(a,b,d)^t$ so we can express the set of all scalar homomorphisms of $M$ in the matricial form:

$f_\lambda \begin{bmatrix}{a}\\{b}\\{d}\end{bmatrix}=\lambda I_3 \begin{bmatrix}{a}\\{b}\\{d}\end{bmatrix}\quad (\lambda\in\mathbb{C})$

dray said:
Let M be the set of 2x2 matrices defined by

M = a b
0 d}

where a, b and d are complex.

I've found a basis for M but need to know how to find the set of scalar homomorphisms of M from these.

I have the basis as

M_1 = {1 0
0 1}

M_2 = {0 1
0 0}

and

M_3 = {0 0
0 1}

Any ideas?
It is not entirely clear from the question, but I think that you are asking how to determine all the ring (or algebra) homomorphisms from the set $M$ to the scalars. Notice that two of your three basis matrices are idempotent: $M_1^2=M_1$ and $M_3^2=M_3.$ If $f:M\to\mathbb{C}$ is a homomorphism, it follows that $\bigl(f(M_1)\bigr)^2 = f(M_1)$ and hence $f(M_1)$ must be 0 or 1. Similarly $f(M_3)$ must be 0 or 1.

Next, $M_1+M_3=I$ (the identity matrix), so $f(M_1)+f(M_3) = f(I) = 1$ (unless $f$ is the identically zero map). Thus if $f(M_1)=1$ then $f(M_3)=0$ and vice versa.

Use those facts to show that the only two homomorphisms from $M$ to the scalars are $\begin{bmatrix}a&b \\ 0&d \end{bmatrix} \mapsto a$ and $\begin{bmatrix}a&b \\ 0&d \end{bmatrix} \mapsto d.$

Opalg said:
It is not entirely clear from the question, but I think that you are asking how to determine all the ring (or algebra) homomorphisms from the set $M$ to the scalars. Notice that two of your three basis matrices are idempotent: $M_1^2=M_1$ and $M_3^2=M_3.$ If $f:M\to\mathbb{C}$ is a homomorphism, it follows that $\bigl(f(M_1)\bigr)^2 = f(M_1)$ and hence $f(M_1)$ must be 0 or 1. Similarly $f(M_3)$ must be 0 or 1.

Next, $M_1+M_3=I$ (the identity matrix), so $f(M_1)+f(M_3) = f(I) = 1$ (unless $f$ is the identically zero map). Thus if $f(M_1)=1$ then $f(M_3)=0$ and vice versa.

Use those facts to show that the only two homomorphisms from $M$ to the scalars are $\begin{bmatrix}a&b \\ 0&d \end{bmatrix} \mapsto a$ and $\begin{bmatrix}a&b \\ 0&d \end{bmatrix} \mapsto d.$

Thanks for this Opalg.

I can't see how $M_1+M_3=I$ for the basis matrices I have determined. The question I am tackling, is from Maddox and he specifically requests that this basis be found and then used to find the set of all scalar homomorphisms of the set M.

dray said:
I can't see how $M_1+M_3=I$ for the basis matrices I have determined.
$M_1+M_3 = \begin{bmatrix} 1&0 \\ 0&0 \end{bmatrix} + \begin{bmatrix} 0&0 \\ 0&1 \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 1&0 \\ 0&1 \end{bmatrix} = I$.

Opalg said:
$M_1+M_3 = \begin{bmatrix} 1&0 \\ 0&0 \end{bmatrix} + \begin{bmatrix} 0&0 \\ 0&1 \end{bmatrix} = \begin{bmatrix} 1&0 \\ 0&1 \end{bmatrix} = I$.

But my bases (which are the ones requested in the question) are

$M_1=\begin{bmatrix} 1&0 \\ 0&1 \end{bmatrix}$

$M_2=\begin{bmatrix} 0&1 \\ 0&0 \end{bmatrix}$

$M_3=\begin{bmatrix} 0&0 \\ 0&1 \end{bmatrix}$

dray said:
But my bases (which are the ones requested in the question) are

$M_1=\begin{bmatrix} 1&0 \\ 0&1 \end{bmatrix}$

$M_2=\begin{bmatrix} 0&1 \\ 0&0 \end{bmatrix}$

$M_3=\begin{bmatrix} 0&0 \\ 0&1 \end{bmatrix}$
So that was just me misreading the question as usual. (Blush)

Of course, the matrix that I called $M_1$ is actually $M_1-M_3$. If you repeat my solution to the problem, replacing my $M_1$ by $M_1-M_3$, then you should have a valid solution in terms of the basis requested in the question.

Opalg said:
So that was just me misreading the question as usual. (Blush)

Of course, the matrix that I called $M_1$ is actually $M_1-M_3$. If you repeat my solution to the problem, replacing my $M_1$ by $M_1-M_3$, then you should have a valid solution in terms of the basis requested in the question.

Thanks. That now makes more sense.

Can I ask how you got the two scalar homomorphisms that map to $a$ and $d$ respectively? I need to use these to show that the radical of $M$ is $\begin{bmatrix}0&b\\0&0\end{bmatrix}$, where $b\in\mathbb{C}$.

dray said:
Can I ask how you got the two scalar homomorphisms that map to $a$ and $d$ respectively?
You are looking for maps $f:M\to\mathbb{C}$ such that $f(A_1A_2) = f(A_1)f(A_2)$ for all $A_1,A_2\in M.$ If $A_1 = \begin{bmatrix}a_1&b_1 \\ 0&d_1 \end{bmatrix}$ and $A_2 = \begin{bmatrix}a_2&b_2 \\ 0&d_2 \end{bmatrix}$ then $A_1A_2 = \begin{bmatrix}a_1a_2&a_1b_2+b_1d_2 \\ 0&d_1d_2 \end{bmatrix}.$ If you stare at that equation for a while, you should notice that the maps taking the matrix to its top left or bottom right elements preserve multiplication. After a bit more calculation you can see that these maps also preserve inverses and are therefore multiplicative homomorphisms.

Opalg said:
You are looking for maps $f:M\to\mathbb{C}$ such that $f(A_1A_2) = f(A_1)f(A_2)$ for all $A_1,A_2\in M.$ If $A_1 = \begin{bmatrix}a_1&b_1 \\ 0&d_1 \end{bmatrix}$ and $A_2 = \begin{bmatrix}a_2&b_2 \\ 0&d_2 \end{bmatrix}$ then $A_1A_2 = \begin{bmatrix}a_1a_2&a_1b_2+b_1d_2 \\ 0&d_1d_2 \end{bmatrix}.$ If you stare at that equation for a while, you should notice that the maps taking the matrix to its top left or bottom right elements preserve multiplication. After a bit more calculation you can see that these maps also preserve inverses and are therefore multiplicative homomorphisms.

Thanks for this. Although I an now a little confused as to why we wanted to find the numbers for $f(M_1)$ and so on. How does knowing this enable us to find the scalar homomorphism $f$?

1. What is a homomorphism in mathematics?

A homomorphism is a mathematical function that preserves the structure of a mathematical system. It maps elements from one structure to another in a way that preserves the operations and relationships between the elements.

2. How are homomorphisms used in algebra?

In algebra, homomorphisms are used to study the relationship between different algebraic structures. They allow us to compare and contrast the structures, and can help us identify important properties and patterns within the structures.

3. What is the difference between a homomorphism and an isomorphism?

A homomorphism preserves the structure of a mathematical system, while an isomorphism also preserves the bijective property, meaning it is a one-to-one mapping. Essentially, an isomorphism is a special type of homomorphism that is also a bijection.

4. How do radical expressions relate to homomorphisms?

Radical expressions involve taking the nth root of a number or expression. In homomorphisms, radical expressions can be used to represent the images or preimages of elements within a mathematical structure. They can also help us understand how different elements are related in the structure.

5. Can homomorphisms be used in fields other than algebra?

Yes, homomorphisms can be used in many different fields such as group theory, topology, and logic. They are a fundamental concept in mathematics and can be applied to various mathematical structures and systems.