Hookworm Therapy for Allergy Sufferers

• Medical
  • Thread starter CrimpJiggler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Therapy
In summary, hookworms are parasitic worms that live in the GI tract and feed on blood. In large quantities, they can cause anemia, but in small numbers, they may not have noticeable effects. Allergic reactions are a defense mechanism against these worms, and it is believed that roundworms have an adaptation that weakens the immune system to avoid these reactions. As a result, controlled hookworm infection is used as a treatment for chronic allergies. While the idea of having parasitic worms living in the GI tract may be unsettling, roundworms are small and the controlled infection only involves a small number of them. It is not clear if the weakened immune system only applies to allergies or if it affects overall
CrimpJiggler
For anyone who doesn't know, hookworms are parasitic worms which inhabit the GI tract (instestines I think) of their host. They latch onto the intestinal walls and feed on the hosts blood. If infected by large quantities of them, it can cause major problems such as anemia due to blood loss but when infected by a small number of them, these adverse effects are barely noticeable. Allergic reactions are one of the bodies defense mechanisms against multicellular parasites like these and its believed that roundworms have an adaptation that partially weakens the immune system of the host in order to circumvent allergic reactions. As a result, controlled hookworm infection is used as a treatment for chronic allergy sufferers. Being a chronic allergy sufferer myself, I'm interested in this. The idea of having parasitic worms living in my GI tract is one thing that has always bothered me but considering roundworms are very small, not like a tapeworm (the thought of having one of those in my GI tract sends shivers down my spine) and the fact its only a very small number of them, I don't mind. Do these things weaken the immune system in general or is it just when it comes to allergies? I'd prefer to live with some allergies than become prone to sickness due to a weakened immune system.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
CrimpJiggler said:
For anyone who doesn't know, hookworms are parasitic worms which inhabit the GI tract (instestines I think) of their host. They latch onto the intestinal walls and feed on the hosts blood. If infected by large quantities of them, it can cause major problems such as anemia due to blood loss but when infected by a small number of them, these adverse effects are barely noticeable. Allergic reactions are one of the bodies defense mechanisms against multicellular parasites like these and its believed that roundworms have an adaptation that partially weakens the immune system of the host in order to circumvent allergic reactions. As a result, controlled hookworm infection is used as a treatment for chronic allergy sufferers. Being a chronic allergy sufferer myself, I'm interested in this. The idea of having parasitic worms living in my GI tract is one thing that has always bothered me but considering roundworms are very small, not like a tapeworm (the thought of having one of those in my GI tract sends shivers down my spine) and the fact its only a very small number of them, I don't mind. Do these things weaken the immune system in general or is it just when it comes to allergies? I'd prefer to live with some allergies than become prone to sickness due to a weakened immune system.
I am supplying an article on this for background, but going forward, please take a minute to find an article or study on the subject and post a link so that everyone can read about it.

Thanks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/01/health/research/01prof.html?pagewanted=all

What is hookworm therapy?

Hookworm therapy is a form of immunotherapy where a small number of hookworms are intentionally introduced into the body in order to treat allergies. The worms are able to modulate the immune system, reducing the inflammatory response that causes allergy symptoms.

How does hookworm therapy work?

The hookworms release anti-inflammatory molecules that interact with the immune system, reducing the body's allergic response. They also have the ability to regulate the balance of T-helper cells, which play a major role in the immune response.

What are the potential benefits of hookworm therapy?

Studies have shown that hookworm therapy can significantly reduce the severity and frequency of allergy symptoms, as well as improve quality of life for allergy sufferers. It has also been found to be effective in treating other inflammatory conditions such as asthma and inflammatory bowel disease.

Are there any risks or side effects of hookworm therapy?

While hookworm therapy is generally considered safe, there are some potential risks and side effects. These include mild gastrointestinal symptoms such as nausea and abdominal pain, as well as allergic reactions in rare cases. It is important to consult with a medical professional before undergoing hookworm therapy.

Is hookworm therapy a widely accepted treatment for allergies?

While hookworm therapy is still considered an alternative treatment, it has been gaining more attention and acceptance in the medical community. There have been numerous studies showing its effectiveness, and it is currently being used in clinical trials for various inflammatory conditions. However, more research is needed before it can be widely accepted as a mainstream treatment for allergies.