Hopf Bifurcation - Nonlinear Diff Eqns

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving a system of equations and its stability. The conversation also touches on the Hopf Bifurcation and the concept of a center manifold. The conversation ends with a request for help in understanding the frequency of small disturbances at the point of Hopf bifurcation and the linearization of the system about this point.
ceejay2000

Homework Statement

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/t/9369y.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) is as follows: http://www.freeimagehosting.net/t/4oqft.jpg

Then for b), I have the equilibria as [itex] (0,0,0) [/itex] and [itex] (r-1,\frac{r-1}{r},\frac{(r-1)^2}{r}) [/itex]

To examine their stability I have the Jacobian;

[itex]J=\begin{vmatrix}
1-\lambda& r& 0\\
1& -1-\lambda& -1\\
y& x& -1-\lambda
\end{vmatrix}[/itex]

giving [itex] J_{(0,0,0)}=(-1-\lambda)[(-1-\lambda)^2 -r) = 0 [/itex]

So, [itex]\lambda^2 +2\lambda +(1-r) =0[/itex] and the stationary point is stable for [itex]r<1[/itex] by Routh-Hurwitz.

Next, [itex]J_{(r-1,\frac{r-1}{r},\frac{(r-1)^2}{r})}=1-r-2\lambda-3\lambda^2-\lambda^3= 0[/itex]

and by Routh-Hurwitz:

[itex]r<1[/itex] again

and for the [itex]p_1p_2>p_3[/itex] part, we have:

[itex]6>r-1 \Rightarrow r<7[/itex]

which it is anyway from [itex]r<1[/itex]

For the Hopf Bifurcation at the nontrivial stationary point, I took [itex]\lambda= i w[/itex] and equated the imaginary and real parts to then give [itex]r=7[/itex]

After this I'm not sure what is meant by "What is the frequency of small disturbances at the point of Hopf bifurcation?" and also have never been very good at sketches haha so any help here would be appreciated.

I got stuck with part c) also so I'm not entirely sure whether the above is correct or not. I thought to linearise the system about this point I just had to use the Jacobian from above and input the nontrivial solutions and the value of [itex]r[/itex] at the Hopf point but this didn't yield any zero eigenvalues which I thought was necessary for the center manifold?
Maybe I've got confused somewhere here so again any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump

Anyone got any ideas about this? Still haven't figured out if/where I might have gone wrong!

1. What is Hopf Bifurcation?

Hopf bifurcation is a type of bifurcation, or sudden qualitative change, that occurs in nonlinear differential equations. It is characterized by the emergence of limit cycles, or periodic behavior, in the system's solutions.

2. How does Hopf Bifurcation differ from other types of bifurcations?

Hopf bifurcation differs from other types of bifurcations, such as saddle-node and pitchfork bifurcations, in that it involves a change from steady state behavior to oscillatory behavior. This means that the system's solutions start to exhibit periodic or oscillatory behavior as a parameter is varied.

3. What are some real-world applications of Hopf Bifurcation?

Hopf bifurcation has been observed in a variety of physical systems, including fluid dynamics, chemical reactions, and neural networks. It has also been studied in economics and population dynamics as a way to understand the sudden changes that can occur in these systems.

4. How can Hopf Bifurcation be detected in a system?

Hopf bifurcation can be detected by analyzing the eigenvalues of the system's Jacobian matrix. When a pair of complex conjugate eigenvalues crosses the imaginary axis, this indicates the onset of Hopf bifurcation and the emergence of limit cycles in the system's solutions.

5. Can Hopf Bifurcation be controlled or manipulated?

While it is not possible to prevent Hopf bifurcation from occurring in a system, it is possible to control or manipulate the behavior of the system around the bifurcation point. This can be done through parameter tuning or feedback control methods, which can alter the system's dynamics and potentially avoid undesirable oscillatory behavior.