How a Microwave Receiver Works: Voltage & Current Outputs

In summary: EM waves, they are also commonly used in mixers and detectors because they are zero bias and have high frequency response.
SataSata
How does a microwave receiver works? I can connect it to a multimeter and when a transmitter beam microwave to it, I received voltage and current output. When I put them closer, the output increase. How did the receiver convert intensity of the microwave to voltage and current? I assume the intensity is proportional to current, but what about voltage? And which one, voltage or current is more accurate in measurements considering environment factors. For example when I measure in current, the output is unstable and changing.

Here's a picture of how the receiver looks: http://www.pascocanada.com/images/products/wa/WA9800A_330_32633.jpg

Science news on Phys.org
Is this a homework question?

Hints: Are microwaves AC or DC and what does a meter need to drive the moving coil?

Likes SataSata
No, this isn't exactly a homework question. I'm experimenting on microwaves interference for my previous lab and this is just my own follow up. The reason is that I found many similar experiments online and that they all measured the intensity with current, but when I'm doing the experiment, the professor insisted that I measure in voltage. So I'm just curious about the difference.

So microwaves are AC and the receiver actually only have 2 cable slots to connect to a digital multimeter instead of what's shown on the picture with a moving coil meter.(I picked the picture because I can't find any other picture that look exactly like my receiver)

Normally if I were to measure the current and voltage of a circuit, the multimeter need to be connected 2 different ways, one for current and one for voltage. But in this case all I did is to plug the cables to the receiver and I can get both current and voltage output. So I assume one of it isn't directly proportional to the intensity. And further more the receiver stated output as current so I guess the output is connected in series so if I measure in voltage, won't the readings be wrong?

So knowing the inner circuits of the receiver is one thing, I would also like to know exactly how EM waves are converted to electrical circuit. Example through photoelectric, magnetic inductance or?

that receiver is just a microwave diode in a cavity and the meter is connected across the diode

depending on the frequency, and that feed horn looks to be around 10GHz ( you can confirm)
if it is around 10GHz the diode is commonly a 1N23, 1N415E or similar. The diode rectifies the incoming microwave signal and generates a DC current to the meter

cool stuff to play with ... I play on many microwave amateur radio bands from 2GHz to 24GHz

in the pic below is a simple transmitter / receiver cavity for 10 GHz from my collection

on the left is the tiny GUNN diode for TX and on the right the larger white barrelled 1N23 receive diode

DCP_0067.JPG

Dave

Last edited:
Likes SataSata
Thank you Dave. But I still don't understand how the diode convert microwave signal to DC current. What type of diode is it? Isn't there supposed to be something like a dipole antenna inside and the diode then will rectify the AC current to DC? Won't only one diode produce a half-wave output?

SataSata said:
What type of diode is it?

They are usually point contact or Schottky barrier diodes

here's a little on Schottky Barrier diodes ...

A Schottky barrier diode (SBD) consists of a rectifying metal-semiconductor barrier typically formed by deposition of a metal layer on a semiconductor. The SBD functions in a similar manner to the antiquated point contact diode and the slower-response pn-junction diode, and is used for signal mixing and detection. The point contact diode consists of a metal whisker in contact with a semiconductor, forming a rectifying junction. The SBD is more rugged and reliable than the point contact diode. The SBD's main advantage over pn diodes is the absence of minority carriers, which limit the response speed in switching applications and the high-frequency performance in mixing and detection applications. SBDs are zero-bias detectors. Frequencies to 40 GHz are available with silicon SBDs, and GaAs SBDs are used for higher-frequency applications.
SataSata said:
...there supposed to be something like a dipole antenna inside and the diode then will rectify the AC current to DC?

no, a dipole isn't used, in some cases a monopole antenna is used but that isn't even needed in this situation

I'm not up enough on semiconductor theory to speak about the interaction of the EM wave and the diode and how a current is produced, someone else may be able to answer that ... I did do some goggling after I posted my first response but didn't find any decent explanations Schottky barrier diodes

Last edited:
Likes SataSata

1. How does a microwave receiver convert electromagnetic waves into voltage and current outputs?

A microwave receiver contains a component called a diode, which acts as a rectifier and converts the alternating current (AC) signal from the antenna into a direct current (DC) signal. This DC signal is then amplified and filtered to produce the desired voltage and current outputs.

2. What is the role of the antenna in a microwave receiver?

The antenna in a microwave receiver acts as a transducer, converting the electromagnetic waves into electrical signals that can be processed by the receiver. The size and design of the antenna determine the frequency range and sensitivity of the receiver.

3. How does a microwave receiver detect and amplify weak signals?

A microwave receiver uses a low noise amplifier (LNA) to detect and amplify weak signals. The LNA is designed with a high gain and low noise figure, allowing it to amplify the signal without adding significant noise.

4. What is the difference between voltage and current outputs in a microwave receiver?

Voltage and current are two different ways of measuring the output of a microwave receiver. Voltage is a measure of the potential difference between two points, while current is a measure of the flow of electric charge. Both are important in understanding the performance of a receiver.

5. How does a microwave receiver filter out unwanted signals?

Unwanted signals, such as noise or interference, can be filtered out by using a bandpass filter in the receiver. This filter only allows signals within a specific frequency range to pass through, effectively blocking out any unwanted signals outside of that range.