How a rotational motion could be in an inertial ref. frame

In summary, when dealing with rotational motion, it is important to consider the reference frame being used. In an inertial reference frame, the second derivative of position is equal to the acceleration due to a force. However, in a rotating reference frame, this is not the case and inertial forces must be taken into account. For practice, it is recommended to analyze rotational motion from both reference frames to fully understand the difference.
albertov123
When rotation exists, so does the radial acceleration. It can be defined as ar=-ω2xr

So there is a kind of acceleration with rotation all the time. Thus, we have to use non-inertial reference frame all the time.

Could a rotational movement be analysed in an inertial ref. frame?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are confusing the motion of the physical bodies with the motion of the reference frame.

Likes Nosebgr and albertov123
Oh, you are saying that a rotational motion could be considered in an inertial ref. frame.

Then, let me dive into my source of confusion. We are learning reference frames and when I see a rectilinear acceleration, I understand there is a non-inertial reference frame also accelerating with the physical body. But I'm not clear on when to use inertial or non-inertial in the rotational cases.

Can you give me an example?

Albertov123 said:
But I'm not clear on when to use inertial or non-inertial in the rotational cases.
For practice, you should analyse it from both reference frames to learn the difference. This will help you to pick the most convenient one later on.

The first thing to consider about a rotating reference frame is that the second derivative of position is no longer the same as acceleration due to a force. In an inertial reference frame they are the same but not in a rotating reference frame. Suppose you are traveling North in a car at 50 mph, but want to use a rotating reference frame to measure velocities and acceleration. Suppose the rotating frame does a full rotation in 4 minutes. Initially you measure the velocity in one axis as 50 mph. One minute later, you measure the velocity in the other axis as 50 mph and the first axis has gone to 0 mph. So there are large velocity derivatives in the rotating frame. All with no force applied. In the rotating reference frame, you must account for the rotation to convert derivatives to true accelerations due to forces. And the difference between the two can easily be large.

Likes albertov123
FactChecker said:
The first thing to consider about a rotating reference frame is that the second derivative of position is no longer the same as acceleration due to a force.
More generally: In non-inertial frames the second derivative of position (coordinate acceleration) times mass is not always equal to the sum of interaction forces (those which obey Newtons 3rd Law). One way of dealing with this, is to introduce inertial forces (which don't obey Newtons 3rd Law), to make at least Newton's 2nd Law work.

1. What is an inertial reference frame?

An inertial reference frame is a coordinate system in which Newton's laws of motion hold true. This means that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will continue to move at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does rotational motion occur in an inertial reference frame?

In an inertial reference frame, rotational motion can occur when an object experiences a torque or a net force acting off-center. This causes the object to rotate around its center of mass.

3. Can rotational motion occur in a non-inertial reference frame?

Yes, rotational motion can occur in a non-inertial reference frame, but the motion would not follow the laws of Newtonian mechanics. Instead, it would appear to follow fictitious forces, such as the Coriolis force or centrifugal force.

4. How does the concept of inertia apply to rotational motion in an inertial reference frame?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist any change in its state of motion. In rotational motion, an object with a larger moment of inertia will require more torque to change its angular velocity compared to an object with a smaller moment of inertia.

5. What are some real-world examples of rotational motion in an inertial reference frame?

Some examples of rotational motion in an inertial reference frame include a spinning top, a rotating fan, a swinging pendulum, and a spinning planet. In each of these cases, the objects are rotating around a fixed axis and are not experiencing any external forces that would significantly affect their motion.