How accurate are heart rate monitors during walking/running

• Thread starter brothermaynard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heart Rate
In summary, the conversation discussed the use and accuracy of a heart rate monitor with a chest strap and watch, and whether it could be influenced by movements such as walking on a treadmill. The possibility of artifacts and tips for minimizing them were also mentioned. Additionally, the conversation touched on the potential health implications of a high heart rate and the general workings of a heart rate monitor.
brothermaynard
I just started using this heart rate monitor, with the strap around the chest and the watch that you wear. I can't help suspecting that its just following my strides on the treadmill though, and also, if this is possible? How accurate are these monitors anyway, and how do they work?
The treadmill speed was exactly 4mph just an average walking speed. I was doing roughly 2 steps per second at this speed, and then I noticed that my heart rate was consistently reading about 110-115bmp, --roughly the same number as my steps per min. Wouldnt a step cause the same amount of vibration that the strap picks up?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you stand still does the monitor read 0 bpm?
If you go 8 m/hr does the monitor read 220 - 230 bpm?

If a monitor could be triggered by steps would anyone buy it or use it?

brothermaynard said:
I just started using this heart rate monitor, with the strap around the chest and the watch that you wear. I can't help suspecting that its just following my strides on the treadmill though, and also, if this is possible? How accurate are these monitors anyway, and how do they work?
The treadmill speed was exactly 4mph just an average walking speed. I was doing roughly 2 steps per second at this speed, and then I noticed that my heart rate was consistently reading about 110-115bmp, --roughly the same number as my steps per min. Wouldn't a step cause the same amount of vibration that the strap picks up?

Do you know how to take your pulse rate with a watch? Are you able to feel your radial pulse? You can take it and compare it to what the monitor is reading to test its accuracy.

http://www.hunterdonhealthcare.org/node/346
(note -- that article says to count your pulse for 60 seconds, but more common is to count for 15 seconds and multiply x4)

It is possible that the monitor strap is picking up "artifacts" from your walking/running steps. Does the documentation that came with the monitor tell you any tips for minimizing artifact issues?

It's worrisome that your pulse rate is 110-115 while you are walking only 4mph. What kind of physical shape are you in? What is your resting heart rate (either taken by you with your watch, or shown on the monitor)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Years ago I was reading a long thread on another forum (cycling) where a member was complaining about the accuracy of heart rate monitors. He had tried several monitors and they all showed that his heart rate was reaching 215-220 bpm when he exercised (a normal person will top out at about 190-200). The thread was updated over a period of weeks as he tried new models etc.
Eventually he gave up and had a proper test done at a hospital. It then turned out this heart rate really WAS reaching 220 and he had a fairly serious problem with his heart.

The moral of this story is that modern HRMs are actually quite accurate, an if one is reporting a high -but sensible (60-200) - value it is likely to be correct. The only problem I've ever encountered was that the HRM was reporting a value that was way too low because the strap did not make good contact to the skin so it was missing beats (hint: be sweaty, or use some water to make sure the skin underneath the sensors is a bit damp); but the value it was reporting was simply way too low to be possible (40-50 bpm while running) so it was easy to spot and correct.
115-120 bpm sounds like a normal value for someone on a treadmill who does not exercise on a regular basis.

Also, a "normal" HRM works by detecting electrical signals, it will not be sensitive to vibrations unless the strap is loose (in which case it will probably indicate en error)

Likes berkeman

Heart rate monitors can be a useful tool for tracking your heart rate during physical activity, but their accuracy can vary depending on the type of monitor and how it is used. The type of heart rate monitor you are using, with a chest strap and watch, is known as a chest strap heart rate monitor. These monitors work by detecting the electrical activity of your heart through the skin and transmitting this information to the watch.

The accuracy of chest strap heart rate monitors has been studied in several research studies, and overall they have been found to be quite accurate. However, there are factors that can affect their accuracy, such as the placement of the strap and the tightness of the strap. If the strap is too loose or not placed correctly, it may not pick up the electrical signals from your heart accurately, leading to incorrect readings.

In terms of your suspicion that the monitor is just following your strides on the treadmill, this is not likely the case. The chest strap is designed to pick up the electrical signals from your heart, not the movements of your body. However, it is possible that the vibrations from your steps could affect the accuracy of the readings if the strap is not placed tightly enough.

It is also important to note that heart rate monitors are most accurate during steady-state activities, such as walking or running on a treadmill. During more intense or high-intensity activities, the readings may not be as accurate due to changes in heart rate variability.

In conclusion, chest strap heart rate monitors can be a useful tool for tracking your heart rate during physical activity, but their accuracy may be affected by various factors. It is important to ensure that the strap is placed correctly and tightly for the most accurate readings. If you have concerns about the accuracy of your heart rate monitor, it may be helpful to consult with a fitness professional or conduct further research on the specific monitor you are using.

1. How do heart rate monitors work?

Heart rate monitors typically use a chest strap or wrist-based sensor to detect and measure the electrical activity of the heart. This information is then transmitted to a display unit, which calculates and displays the heart rate in beats per minute.

2. Are heart rate monitors accurate?

The accuracy of heart rate monitors can vary depending on the type of sensor used and the individual's physiology. Wrist-based monitors tend to be less accurate than chest strap monitors, but overall, modern heart rate monitors have a margin of error of about 5%.

3. How accurate are heart rate monitors during walking?

Heart rate monitors are generally accurate during walking, as long as the person is not swinging their arms too much or wearing loose clothing that may interfere with the sensor. However, heart rate may be slightly underestimated during uphill walking due to changes in body position.

4. How accurate are heart rate monitors during running?

Heart rate monitors are typically accurate during running, as long as the person is running at a consistent pace and not making sudden movements that may affect the sensor. However, heart rate may be slightly overestimated during high intensity intervals or sprinting.

5. Can heart rate monitors be affected by external factors?

Yes, heart rate monitors can be affected by external factors such as temperature, humidity, and skin moisture. These factors can affect the conductivity of the skin, which may impact the accuracy of the heart rate measurement. It is important to calibrate and adjust the monitor according to the individual's environment and activity level for the most accurate results.