How are magnetic field lines affected by the rotation of the sun?

• Thread starter Kara386
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Field
In summary: I think they are asking for how many times the field line is wrapped around by the Sun's rotation. Start by determining how many day's travel is it for the solar wind to travel from the Sun to the heliopause.And then from there you can work out how many times a particle would loop the field line.
Kara386

Homework Statement

Given the solar wind has velocity ##450## km s##^{−1}##, i.e. it is slow solar wind, and if the heliopause is ##150## AU from the Sun, how many turns are wound into each field line between the Sun and the heliopause? Assume the magnetic field is ##6##nT, and the rotational period of the Sun is ∼27 days.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure where the orbital period of the sun comes into it. And I assume the ##450## km s##^{−1}## are the velocity of solar wind particles radially, but I'm not 100% on that.

What I thought was if it takes ##\frac{150AU}{450 \times 10^3 ms^{-1}} = 5 \times 10^7s## to get to the heliopause, then in that time since a particle in the magnetic field will move in a helix with frequency ##\frac{eB}{m}##, and with a frequency and a time I could work out how many times a particle would loop the field line.

Problem is I haven't been give a mass and I feel like the number of turns in the field line shouldn't depend on the mass, it should be a property of the field. Even if that's not true and it should depend on particle type, I haven't been given a particle type to go look up the mass of. And this answer doesn't involve the rotational period of the sun. So I'm stuck! Thanks for any help! :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the 450 km/s is the forward speed. The rotation of the sun gives it a sideways component. Not sure how this comes into getting to the answer though, but in order to make it turn around the field lines the particles need to have a sideways component.

Last edited:
Likes Kara386
I think they are asking for how many times the field line is wrapped around by the Sun's rotation. Start by determining how many day's travel is it for the solar wind to travel from the Sun to the heliopause.

Likes Kara386
I would really like to see where this is going, so please Kara do as gneill suggests, although I cannot see the connection.
I know that the field lines are wound up in the pasma (worked at an observatory long ago and did some spectroscopy investigations on the sun), but did not know it is due to the sun's rotation. Think they are wound in opposite directions in the two hemispheres?

andrevdh said:
I would really like to see where this is going, so please Kara do as gneill suggests, although I cannot see the connection.
I know that the field lines are wound up in the pasma (worked at an observatory long ago and did some spectroscopy investigations on the sun), but did not know it is due to the sun's rotation. Think they are wound in opposite directions in the two hemispheres?
The solar wind takes 577 days to reach the heliopause just using speed = distance/time. In that time the sun rotates 21.4 times so from gneill's suggestion there are 21.4 turns in the field. Although I would never have known to interpret the question like that. :)

Likes gneill
So what is happening is that the field lines are wound up in the plasma as the sun rotates!
No wonder that the magnetic field of the sun has an 11 year cycle during which time the field gets weaker and weaker as the field lines are wound up more and more!
After that it starts over with a reversed polarity.

Last edited:

1. How do you determine the number of turns in a magnetic field?

The number of turns in a magnetic field can be determined by dividing the total magnetic flux by the flux per turn. This can be calculated using the equation N = Φ/Φ per turn.

2. What factors affect the number of turns in a magnetic field?

The number of turns in a magnetic field can be affected by several factors, such as the strength of the magnetic field, the size and shape of the magnetic core, and the material of the core.

3. Why is the number of turns important in a magnetic field?

The number of turns in a magnetic field is important because it affects the strength of the magnetic field. More turns in the field will result in a stronger magnetic field, while fewer turns will result in a weaker field.

4. How does the number of turns in a magnetic field affect the efficiency of an electromagnet?

The number of turns in a magnetic field directly affects the efficiency of an electromagnet. More turns will result in a stronger magnetic field, which will increase the efficiency of the electromagnet.

5. What is the ideal number of turns in a magnetic field for maximum efficiency?

The ideal number of turns in a magnetic field for maximum efficiency will depend on the specific application and design of the electromagnet. Generally, a higher number of turns will result in a stronger magnetic field, but too many turns can also lead to overheating and decreased efficiency. It is important to carefully consider the design and intended use of the electromagnet to determine the ideal number of turns for maximum efficiency.