Sun question: Determine the velocity of the gas

In summary, the spectral line from point X on the Sun has components of 666.823, 666.830, and 666.837 nm. The central component is not as bright as those at the longer and shorter wavelengths. Measurements at Y around 12,000 km away from X on the Sun’s surface show three components at 666.826, 666.829, and 666.832. The central component is brighter than the components at longer and shorter wavelengths.
artworkmonkey

Homework Statement

From near to the center of the solar disc, Fe I line emission from point X shows a spectral line with components 666.823, 666.830 and 666.837 nm, around the rest wavelength of 666.800 nm. The central component is not as bright as those at the longer and shorter wavelengths. Measurements at Y around 12,000 km away from X on the Sun’s surface show three components at 666.826, 666.829 and 666.832. In this case, the central component is brighter than the components at longer and shorter wavelengths.

For X and Y determine the velocity of the gas containing the iron relative to the observer.

Calculate the magnetic field strength at each point

Homework Equations

I think the Zeeman effect is involved.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't want to be told the answer. I would like to work it out myself. However, the course notes assume prior knowledge, and I don't know where to start. If I could just be pointed in the right direction, that would be a great help. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the central wavelength for Fe I at rest?
Why does it change with velocity, and how much?

I do appreciate your help, but I am still confused. Thank you for answering though.

Pretty much all of it. I'm out of my depth.
To calculate the velocity of a wavelength, don't we need to know the frequency as well? I don't know any other way of doing it.

To calculate the magnetic field strength, I think I start with Zeeman effect formula and re-arrange it so B is the subject:

delta λ= (e/4πcme ) λ02 B

I'm not certain though.
Thank you

artworkmonkey said:
To calculate the velocity of a wavelength, don't we need to know the frequency as well?
There is no "velocity of a wavelength". You can convert wavelengths to frequencies if you like - you know the speed of light.
artworkmonkey said:
To calculate the magnetic field strength, I think I start with Zeeman effect formula and re-arrange it so B is the subject
Looks good. Not sure about the prefactor but that is something the source for the formula will cover.

Likes artworkmonkey
I think I understand the first part now. It uses the Doppler Effect. First I convert from nm to "meters of Å". 0.1Ån = 1nm
Spectral line now has components 6668.23, 6668.30 and 6668.37 Åm, around the rest wavelength of 6668 Åm.
Speed of light is 299792458 m / s
Dopplar equation is:

V= (c * delta wavelength) / rest wavelength

V= (299792 458 m/s * 0.14) / 6668

V=6294m/s

Does this make sense?
Thank you

Why is delta wavelength 0.14Å, not (6668.30-6668)Å?

Apart from that: Looks good.

Likes artworkmonkey
Ah, I can see now that I subtracted to wrong figure. I think I can have a good go at these questions now.
Thank you, mfb, for all your help and guidance on this. It has been very much appreciated. :)

Likes mfb

1. How do you measure the velocity of gas?

There are several methods for measuring the velocity of gas, including using Doppler shifts, thermal anemometry, and laser-induced fluorescence. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific properties of the gas being measured.

2. What factors affect the velocity of gas?

The velocity of gas is affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the composition of the gas. The type of gas and the surrounding environment can also play a role in determining the velocity.

3. How does the velocity of gas affect its behavior?

The velocity of gas can affect its behavior in several ways. For example, a high velocity can cause turbulence or mixing, while a low velocity may result in laminar flow. The velocity can also affect how the gas interacts with its surroundings, such as in heat transfer or chemical reactions.

4. Can the velocity of gas change over time?

Yes, the velocity of gas can change over time due to various factors such as changes in temperature, pressure, or the surrounding environment. It can also change as a result of chemical reactions or physical processes, such as expansion or compression.

5. How is the velocity of gas used in scientific research?

The velocity of gas is an important parameter in many scientific fields, including fluid dynamics, atmospheric science, and astrophysics. It is used to study the behavior of gases in different environments and to understand the complex interactions between gases and their surroundings. The velocity of gas is also used in various industrial processes, such as in combustion engines and gas turbines.